Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Anyone ever experience candida overgrowth?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

I have been on antibiotics about 5 times in a year, and also recently recovered from C. Diff.  Has any one experienced candida overgrowth or yeast overgrowth?  I am more than sure that I am dealing with this and I am taking a supplement, which is helping.  The thing is, I read about it all over the internet but would really like to connect with someone who has actually had or been through it.  I feel very alone with my struggle against it.

Thanks!
Hi there!

If you suspect a yeast infection, I would suggest getting this examined by your treating doctor for appropriate management. Certain supplements and food products/ probiotics may be helpful, however early specific treatment is advised for early control and to prevent complication from the infection.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hi there!

Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for replying, Dr. Kaul.  Unfortunately when I go to the doctors nobody believes me that this is an issue, so i end up fighting it on my own.  However, my gastroenterologist prescribed me Diflucan for Thrush, because Nystatin actually made it worse.  I really hope it works.  2 weeks worth.  In the mean time I am attempting to stomach Kefir and taking a probiotic supplement.  Is this enough?
My grandson is in remission. He is taking two probiotics and keeps to a strict diet.

Related, but not Crohn's, I was suffering from systemic candidiasis. My lungs were most affected, but my digestion was also problematic. Quite by chance I started taking small doses of Lugol's solution for a different purpose. I found the symptoms of candidiasis were ameliorated. I raised the dosage of Lugol's by increments, my condition improving steadily. I am now reducing the dosage since the candida is under control. I am not aware of any side effects.

I once used Nystatin for thrush. It didn't work. My husband used a fungicide for toe nail fungus. It didn't work. Since developing systemic candidiasis I searched the internet for trials of fungicides, and found nothing convincing. Some seemed to be effective until mutations appeared. Plus, really bad side effects.

I am merely relating my own experience and not recommending anything. But I know personally that candidiasis is a nasty business and often undiagnosed. It is commonly associated with the respiratory and digestive systems. My grandson is now adding a small supplement ofl iodine (Lugol's) to his regimen.