Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Rectal/anal prolapse - please help me

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Rectal/anal prolapse - please help me

I have Crohns disease and suddenly felt like a lump inside my anus after a BM and hubby said it looked like a red lump that went away when I put Vaseline in.  I went to my Gastro doc who looked inside and told me to bear down and said I have a prolapsed rectum or anus and to just keep inserting vaseline after a BM.  However, I had 3 BMs before I went to see him, got washed and went to my appointment - no vaseline as I knew he would look and since my exam I have not had any BM but did insert vaseline when I got home because it did not feel right and now the prolapse seems to be out just about all the time.  I had hubby looked about 10 times and once he said he did not see anything and the rest he said it was sticking out.  It hurts now when I sit and I am scared it will never go back in again and do not know what to do.  I am 74 and can not live like this.  The doc indicated it would only happen after a BM but whatever he did made it worse so it is out all the time.  

Please, I have to go for open heart surgery and now I have this horrible thing.  Is there anything I can do to reverse it ASAP.  It is driving me crazy.  It feels awful and hurts, esp when sitting and I should not be upset now before the surgery.  He said I would not be a good candidate for rectal prolapse surgery with the Crohns either.  

Please doctors can you give me any advice as he just seemed to pass it off with well, just push it back in with vaseline and I can't do that all day long as I have to get washed first and after as I also have urethritis, vulvitis and vaginitis and do not want an infection in those areas from bacteria from the anus.  Everyone knows how hard it is to just wipe Vaseline off and it would find its way down to the front area.  The prolapse is on the bottom of the anus (going towards the front).

Thank you for any help.  PLEASE I feel desperate and it is really bothering me.  I should have never gone to the doctor.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear that you are going through so much. If the prolapsed is a rectocele—the anterior rectal wall prolapses into the lower end of the posterior vaginal wall, then a pessary can be worn high up in the vagina to support the pelvic muscles. This will help keep the prolapsed inside the rectum.
The other thing which you can do is pelvic floor exercises—commonly known as Kegel exercises. You could ask your doctor regarding other exercises which you can do. Also, if you do not strain, usually the rectum will not prolapsed out. When a person is stressed, there is involuntary contraction of abdominal muscles. This can push out a prolapsed. So try deep breathing exercises. If the stool is hard (constipation), ask your doctor to prescribe a stool softener. Increase fiber and fluid intake.
Other than this, you will need to push the prolpase back in whenever it comes out. After an examination of the area, you may feel uncomfortable for long, but usually this feeling goes away in a day or two. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.