485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
After criticism, GOP adds woman to chair House committee
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

NBC News has learned that Rep. Candice Miller (R-Mich.) will be named chair of the House Administration Committee. Miller did not serve on the committee during the 112th Congress.

Lack of diversity has been an issue for the GOP, and many strategists believe that the party’s problems with women and minorities led to President Obama’s re-election.

Miller has been in Congress since 2003, and her highest committee level post is on the House Homeland Security Committee.

The House Administration Committee deals with the pertinent administrative business of the House. The committee can decide such mundane things as whether or not the House cafeterias will use paper or Styrofoam plates -- or more serious matters such as benefit packages for congressional workers and how the Library of Congress operates. The Committee also monitors the expense accounts of House members.

House Speaker John Boehner issued this statement: “From ensuring the House runs efficiently and smoothly, to making Congress more open and accessible, Candice has a big job ahead as chairman of the House Administration Committee. In her new post, Candice will provide the leadership needed to keep operating costs down, save taxpayer dollars, and help lawmakers use new technology to better engage with their constituents. And her experience as Michigan secretary of state will be invaluable given the committee’s oversight of campaign finance and election laws.
See......It can be done!...
Well lookey there... there WAS a qualified woman in the GOP ranks after all.

Bully for them.

Now get back to freaking work!
MrsP........you saw the situation for what it REALLY was.   :<)))  

You know your politics.  
Yes, she sure does!
I may not fancy the GOP and their platform but I do respect ALL women in politics...I refused to believe there was NO QUALIFYING woman to fill at least 1 of those seats..This just proved my point...The GOP needs to realize that they are out of touch with women. (and all the other demographics..lol) They need to modernize their platform and make room for equality and advancement within their own party for women...If they can gain the trust of at least half of the unmarried women that voted for the President in this past election, they may have a better shot in 2016 to go back to the White House...

I give speaker Boehner credit. I hope this is the beginning of many more posts of qualified women in years to come.
Fact remains, it should not have had to be done in hindsight. I really don't think they get it! I really don't, and if they don't, they wont be winning anything from here on in.
" I really don't think they get it!"

I agree! But this does show that they are listening a little bit....
Do you need a cane or a seeing eye dog?
LOL, I dont know how true it is but, this woman? Yeah, seems she will be put in charge of cafeterias. rofl! Yeah, so much for diversity eh! rofl
Idiot Republicans for caving and doing this. Stand by your decisions, simple as that. No reason to appease people and give someone a job. More of an insult then anything else.
Actually, I read an article that said she wasn't really qualified (had never even served on that committee), but they put her in the position because of the stink everyone was making.

"MrsP........you saw the situation for what it REALLY was"  --- What it was, was a lot of "to do about  nothing"......

If I were her, I'd refuse the appointment.
“Actually, I read an article that said she wasn't really qualified (had never even served on that committee), but they put her in the position because of the stink everyone was making.”

“She had not previously served on the Administration Committee, which makes the selection of her as the panel's chairwoman unusual.”
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/11/30/166264833/boehner-names-rep-candice-miller-chairwoman-of-house-administration-committee

“In terms of seniority, Rep. Gregg Harper (R-Miss.) was next in line to become chair of the House Administration Committee, which means Miller will skip over him to take the helm. The committee's current chairman, Rep. Dan Lungren (R-Calif.), lost in the November election. A Harper spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/30/john-boehner-candice-miller-committee-chair_n_2220133.html

“If I were her, I'd refuse the appointment.”
Now that would be making a statement! Not only refuse it but have a Press Conference and saying something like this,” this position was given to be simply because of my Gender not because of my accomplishments. If I take this position based on this, it will be sending the wrong message to Women/Minorities everywhere.”

I’m 100% percent against discrimination; I’m also 100% against advancement based on Gender or Race.
"I'm 100% percent against discrimination; I'm also 100% percent against advancement based on gender or race."

!00% with you on that statement.
Well it's not her fault. The speaker should've found a qualified woman..She should refuse the appointment. This goes to show that the GOP men don't take the gender issue seriously....Some of you here may think that I was just saying appoint a woman and that's it! OBVIOUSLY you want a smart, qualified, and capable woman for the job. This to me is the bigger issue of the GOP being out of touch with hat reality is to today. It's really sad if they do NOT have at least 1 qualified woman. They need to look within their party and have more diversity. I'm not saying they don't have diversity, but they need MORE..

"I’m 100% percent against discrimination; I’m also 100% against advancement based on Gender or Race. "

Me too!
No, no... its absolutely not her fault.  I think its a double edged sword for this woman though.  If she accepts, she will get labeled as taking a job she isn't qualified for and if she denies the position, I'm sure there are some that will say that she is perpetuation the problem we are talking about.

Personally, if I were her, I'd not accept the position....  It would keep her integrity intact.  She could easily say that she is not qualified.  She can bow out graciously.
"Personally, if I were her, I'd not accept the position....  It would keep her integrity intact.  She could easily say that she is not qualified.  She can bow out graciously."

100% Agree!
Like I had said in the previous post on this subject, I think the 'stink' does an actual disservice to women in the long run who would like to have these positions.  This woman who was earning her way to possibly eventually have one of these positions on merit is now brought into the pubic eye as having the job because of the stink people were making.  This is unfortunate.  

In all honesty, I'd take the job and prove I could do it and do it well.  I'm proud like that and I guess they are saying she is the most closely qualified woman which is still a baby compliment.  

But the whole thing is not great for how this woman must be feeling.  

Yes!  I agree, and I also agree that they shouldn't have caved...based on pressure to have one of the positions held by a woman.  Now, you actually have more qualified men being passed up for the job because of the pressure to appoint a woman.  That in itself, is discrimination.  That shouldn't be okay with anyone.  It's a double standard to justify that as okay because we're talking about a woman (or a minority).

There are plenty of women holding GOP positions in the country...we shouldn't be keeping a tally, or judging their decisions.  It's just ridiculous.  

The GOP going out purposely and finding women to satisfy this need to have women in these positions isn't genuine or honest.  I want to see women in these positions because they're capable, and have earned it.  It's insulting to women to be chosen as a "token", and that's exactly what happened here.
This woman who was earning her way to possibly eventually have one of these positions on merit is now brought into the pubic eye as having the job because of the stink people were making.  This is unfortunate.  

I agree, sm!
There are times when life just stinks.
And I'm accustomed to that.
Especially when it is someone somewhere's job to create the stink.  
"MrsP........you saw the situation for what it REALLY was.   :<))) You know your politics..."

You're kidding, right?

So because the Democratic party appoints "tokens" into positions with committee's, and the Republicans don't, and MrsP pointed out that fact, all of sudden she's a political genius?!?

You're easily impressed. Not really all that surprised that your a Democrat/Socialist.

IMO< the Republicans are IDIOTS for caving into this, and appointing a "token" to a meaningless position. If I was a strong Conservative woman, I'd be INSULTED.

Baa, baa black sheep... have you any wool?
Really EL?
"IMO< the Republicans are IDIOTS for caving into this"

If anything, they're IDIOTS for nominating someone that wasn't qualified just to nominate. THEY are the ones that "felt pressure".. They could've not addressed the issue but they "caved" like you said...It also backfired because the whole point was to nominate a qualified woman in their party. It's very clear now, that they don't have any qualified women to fill these positions and to me that is SAD......
El,
Take a look at Brice's comments...This is a very good model for you to learn from. It is fine to disagree. Try to make your point clearly and respectfully.
In turn, you will garner a lot more respect, imho.
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I've shown time and time again that I can "F-up" anything, given enough time and rope.  LOL
True for all of us...sux being human but such a privilege too, eh?
I just wanted to say that it is okay for someone to give a shout out to another member that has comments they most closely agree with.  Londres was paying Mrs.P a compliment and saying she agreed all in one.  

One thing I don't like is throwing around titles like "democrat" or "republican' like they are an insult.  I happen to be friends with Londres and think that maybe if we lived in the same place, we would have different political opinions.  But that is just one area we differ on with many more being in complete agreement.  Politics is just one aspect to people and I do respect those here who are Democrats or have more liberal views than I do.  

Me too.

Mike
Well said SM.  

I know it has got to be tiring being antagonistic all the time (Insert eye roll and sigh).  

My responses have NOTHING to do with political parties, etc.  If I think the response is INTELLIGENT AND WELL SPOKEN, then I will respond in agreement.  

You know NOTHING about me.    
If someone called me a Republican/Conservative, I most certainly WOULD NOT tke it as an insult.

If the person on the receiving end of my comment felt it was an insult, maybe that's very telling in and of itself.

MrsP: "... If anything, they're IDIOTS for nominating someone that wasn't qualified just to nominate. THEY are the ones that "felt pressure"..."

Do you not see what you did, by making that statement? Please tell me you're not THAT blind.

The Republicans DON'T nominate because they felt there weren't any qualified women. So what do they do? They caved in, and nominated someone as a "token" simply to appease everyone. And when they DO, you berate them for it.

It's not THEIR fault they don't have any Republican women that they felt were appointable. Maybe none have come up the ranks? Maybe there's just none to choose from?

They're damned if they do, and they're damned if they don't.

They can't win for loosing.
They cant win for losing? Well, Tru that!
"MrsP: "... If anything, they're IDIOTS for nominating someone that wasn't qualified just to nominate. THEY are the ones that "felt pressure"..."

I'm not sure I get what you're eluding to but I meant If they were going to appoint a woman, appoint a qualified one. Speaker Boehner is an idiot for appointing her. If they don't have any qualified women, he should have just said so instead of just appointing whoever....
I'd agree that Boehner is an idiot for appointing her.  I think he's a bigger idiot by falling into the "bigot" game.  
Are you saying that if the Republican-Party came out and said, "We're appointing all men to the committee positions, because we don't have any qualified women in our ranks" that you and I wouldn't be having this discussion?

Do you not see how the Republicans couldn't win this isuation either way they went?

If they'd not appointed any women, the cry from the Left would have been: WHY DIDN'T YOU APPOINT ANY WOMEN?!? ARE YOU ALL SEXIST PIGS????

If they do simply appoint a "token", as there happened to not be any truly qualified women among their ranks at this time, they cry from the Left would have been: YOU GUYS SIMPLY APPOINTED A WOMAN BECAUSE YOU'RE FEELING PRESSURE TO DO SO!!!! YOU GUYS ARE ALL A BUNCH OF SEXIST PIGS!!!!!!!!

Do you not see how this is a lose-lose scenario for Republicans?

(By the way, in case you didn't notice, what I described above is EXACTLY what actually happened)
It might be easier to find a qualified female if there were more to choose from.

77 Female House Members

53  Democrat
24  Republican

17 Female Senators

12  Democrat
  5  Republican

"You reap what you sow".
Dee1956 commented on HectorSF's status
Dee1956 In the end only kindness ma... Comment
Barb135, and Dee1956 commented on Barb135's status