485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Bank of America Whistle-blower Bombshell: “We Were Told to Lie” to Rip ...
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
32 members

Bank of America Whistle-blower Bombshell: “We Were Told to Lie” to Rip Off Borrowers

Bank of America’s mortgage servicing unit systematically lied to homeowners, fraudulently denied loan modifications, and paid their staff bonuses for deliberately pushing people into foreclosure: Yes, these allegations were suspected by any homeowner who ever had to deal with the bank to try to get a loan modification – but now they come from six former employees and one contractor, whose  sworn statements were added last week to a civil lawsuit filed in federal court in Massachusetts.

“Bank of America’s practice is to string homeowners along with no apparent intention of providing the permanent loan modifications it promises,” said Erika Brown, one of the former employees. The damning evidence would spur a series of criminal investigations of BofA executives, if we still had a rule of law in this country for Wall Street banks.

The government’s Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), which gave banks cash incentives to modify loans under certain standards, was supposed to streamline the process and help up to 4 million struggling homeowners (to date, active permanent modifications number  about 870,000). In reality, Bank of America used it as a tool, say these former employees, to squeeze as much money as possible out of struggling borrowers before eventually foreclosing on them. Borrowers were supposed to make three trial payments before the loan modification became permanent; in actuality, many borrowers would make payments for a year or more, only to find themselves rejected for a permanent modification, and then owing the difference between the trial modification and their original payment. Former Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner famously described HAMP as a means to “ foam the runway” for the banks, spreading out foreclosures so banks could more readily absorb them.

These Bank of America employees offer the first glimpse into how they pulled it off. Employees, many of whom allege they were given no basic training on how to even use HAMP, were instructed to tell borrowers that documents were incomplete or missing when they were not, or that the file was “under review” when it hadn’t been accessed in months. Former loan-level representative Simone Gordon says flat-out in her affidavit that “we were told to lie to customers” about the receipt of documents and trial payments. She added that the bank would hold financial documents borrowers submitted for review for at least 30 days. “Once thirty days passed, Bank of America would consider many of these documents to be ‘stale’ and the homeowner would have to re-apply for a modification,” Gordon writes. Theresa Terrelonge, another ex-employee, said that the company would consistently tell homeowners to resubmit information, restarting the clock on the HAMP process.

Worse than this, Bank of America would simply throw out documents on a consistent basis. Former case management supervisor William Wilson alleged that, during bimonthly sessions called the “blitz,” case managers and underwriters would simply deny any file with financial documents that were more than 60 days old. “During a blitz, a single team would decline between 600 and 1,500 modification files at a time,” Wilson wrote. “I personally reviewed hundreds of files in which the computer systems showed that the homeowner had fulfilled a Trial Period Plan and was entitled to a permanent loan modification, but was nevertheless declined for a permanent modification during a blitz.” Employees were then instructed to make up a reason for the denial to submit to the Treasury Department, which monitored the program. Others say that bank employees falsified records in the computer system and removed documents from homeowner files to make it look like the borrower did not qualify for a permanent modification.

cont:
http://www.alternet.org/bank-america-0
Oops, sorry teko, I see where you posted a similar article below.

It just makes me so angry to see people thrown out of their homes, illegal foreclosures, the homes sitting vacant only to be offered in huge blocks of homes at auctions, that only the rich can afford to buy.
It's sickening. And while some poor shmoe who's homeless can get sent to jail for not having a toilet, these cruel tactics continue unabated.
Not surprising at all... the only way to get back at them is to quit banking with them.
Good ole B of A......... they get away with whatever they choose to do.
Not a problem! Im as outraged as you are!
A lot of people I know left Bof A and Wells Fargo and started banking with the Credit Union banks. They are all pretty happy.
I still have my account but I figure since I have what amounts to pennies in their world, I am really not supporting them, lol.

It really is infuriating and the fact that they get away with it is a damn shame.
People go to jail for minor infractions but those who steal people's homes not only get off scott free, they make big money on it.

It is simply criminal and immoral.
...and substantial bonuses (regardless of the state of the economy).

It's like they are rubbing it in the peoples faces.
Barb135, and nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
Barb135, specialmom, and Dee1956 commented on specialmom's status
specialmom Wishing all peace on Easte... Comment