485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Father Accidentally Shoots, Kills 7-Year-Old Son Outside Gun Store
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
37 members

A seven-year-old boy was shot to death when his father’s handgun went off in the parking lot of a western Pennsylvania gun store. The boy, Craig Loughrey, was settling into his safety seat in the back of his father’s car when the gun accidentally went off and pierced his chest, reports the Associated Press. The boy died at the scene. Joseph Loughrey, 44, had gone to the gun store to sell a rifle and his 9mm handgun but the owner wasn’t interested, reports the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Although he had unloaded the gun at home, Loughrey failed to realize there was still a bullet in the chamber.

Police are describing the case as an accident and say it’s unlikely there will be charges, although that’s up to the district attorney. “It’s obviously negligent and reckless to some degree,” a law enforcement official said. “It’s obviously in that gray area, where it’s a true accident. But is there negligence or recklessness with him not clearing the chamber?”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/12/09/joseph_loughrey_shoots_kills_son_outside_gun_store.html
Sad when something like this happens.
How did he not know a bullet was still in the chamber?....
I dont know who I feel sorrier for, the boy or the dad.
Yes, terrible.  To hear he was trying to sell the guns and all---  maybe it was a sad attempt to get some money for the holidays or something.  I feel bad for the father, I really do.
There are several ways a bullet can remain in a chamber. That’s why all guns should be treated as loaded. He made a mistake that will haunt him for the rest of his life.
R, I agree completely.

He probably was being careless (or even just not as careful) thinking the gun was not loaded.  My hubby handles ALL guns as if they are loaded, even if he would bet money they're not.  Barrel UP at all times, and obviously not pointing near or at anyone.

My husband said he couldn't even begin to imagine how awful.  Not much gets to him, but this hit home...the boy was the same age as our son, and on the outskirts of Pgh.

What an unbelievable tragedy.  That poor man...that will haunt him forever.
That's exactly why I asked that question. We own guns. Jason and I ALWAYS treat the guns as if they're loaded even when we know they are not!. You ALWAYS have to check the chamber..I just don't understand how he missed that! He obviously didn't check...This is why guns are frowned upon, the owners need to be more responsible..This is a VERY sad and unfortunate situation. I can't even imagine what he is going through. I do hope this family heals.
"How did he not know..."  That is the negligence part of this.  You and your husband are guilty of safe gun handling.  Be proud of that.... every gun is to be considered loaded until proven other wise.  There is never too much safety when it comes to handling a gun.  I double, even triple check guns I'm handling to ensure safety.  When peoples lives can change in a split second, there is always time for more safety.

Careless.... Absolutely this man was careless.  Not only did he not clear the chamber, he pointed the muzzle of the gun in the direction of his child.  Nothing could have been more careless.  The muzzle of a gun is never pointed at anything that you do not intend to destroy.

This mans life has changed forever.  So many people cannot move on with life after something like this.   An acquaintance of mine (a cop) accidentally backed over his 3 year old.  He thought his wife had the kid, his wife thought he had the kid... something as simple as turning the car around in the driveway ended up with a child losing his life.  This man could not get over this and took his own life this past October.  3 years after the event that changed his life, the burden of it all caused him to take his own life.  So, so sad.

Safety takes no vacations, kids.  Always be safe with whatever you do.
specialmom, and nursegirl6572 commented on JGF25's status
specialmom Enjoying the long weekend ... Comment
lesweet1971 commented on Derealization and Dep...