Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
Stasis Ulcer after long history of blood clots

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

I'm not sure if this is a DVT question but it was a DVT that caused the problem I need help with. I have been dealing with a stasis ulcer on my right ankle for years now. It heals up for a time then breaks open again and it is very painful. I have tried everything from just staying off it to wound care specialists. I normally get it to heal with promogan prisma & Silver alginate but not this time. I wear compression hose to help with blood flow when the ulcer allows. Currently I am having trouble getting it to close up. I have been unable to work for weeks now and need to get back ASAP So if anyone out there has any ideas on how to get this thing to heal I would be grateful. Here is my background (the short version)    
I am a 44 yr old male diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder & sever venous insufficiency. They know it is genetic though all the genetic markers came back negative. I am the 6th person on my mothers side to have problems with DVTs.  In 2004 I had blot clots the complete length of both legs. The clots did a lot of damage to both legs but my right leg took the brunt of the damage. Both legs are swollen all the time and the veins well they look like garden hoses running under the skin. I have been to 3 Vascular surgeons and they are all afraid to try surgery. So I feel stuck with a leg that barley works and again I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. Ulcers developing secondary to venous stasis would require treatment of the primary cause/ venous insufficiency, aside measures that would promote ulcer healing. There are a few interventional options developed lately that may be considered alternative to surgery, if it is not advisable. I would suggest considering a detailed evaluation by a vascular surgeon, preferably at a university/ teaching hospital for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for your answer. I have gone to a # of vascular surgeons and they all are afraid to do any type of surgery on my leg. Due to the venous insufficiency. It was cause by the damage done to the valves in my leg. They all do not open like they should and leak blood into the tissue. Basically my right leg is black from the knee down. I was a very active person prior to the clots & still try to stay as active as I can. I have a 16 yr old son I have been teaching to archery hunt since he was very young. I enjoy being with him in the outdoors but the pain makes it very difficult.
Thanks again for your answer.
Sincerely Tony R.