Dental Health Expert Forum
3 year old underwent anesthesia for dental work

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

My 3 year old underwent anesthesia yesterday had four front teeth pulled four root canals and 8 crowns....is it normal for him to run a fever afterwards and for how long....dont think it is very high....and was the too much work to do at one time....what are the risks now that is is done....could he develop an infection and if so how long afterwards would we know we are in the clear. He is up playing fine today.  It was a four hour procedure.  
Avatar dr m tn
I am sorry that your son had to undergo such extensive work at such  young age. It sounds like he is doing just fine. I do not have any experience with children this young but I am sure the doctor who treated him felt it would be in his best interest to get the work done in one seating. It is much safer to put the child to sleep once rather than two or three times.
I have to be ask,,,,WHY did your son have to have so much work done???? what about his baby teeth? Sure sounds like it was a lot work for a child whose teeth are going to fall out later and be replaced ...What about his roots now? What will grow in those places? I sure hope you went for a second opinion before subjecting your child to all this work...Must be something very serious .
Yes actually a 2nd and 3rd opinion and they all told us the same thing. He was born with some kind of enamel deficiency.  Nothing we could have done to prevent it.  Put him under anesthesia was the gentliest way to get it all done so that his other teeth had a chance.  I thought the same thing why fix baby teeth but all the doctors said if we didnt take care of the problem now at a young age it could have seriously effected his permanent teeth and the problems would be much worse.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, baby teeth was started.