Dental Health Community
!6 days post extraction of upper molar #4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Yes i had a upper  molar taken out 2 weeks ago from oral surgeon.It seemed to have been healing nicely until about the 8 th day site was hurting ral bad and was getting this stabbing burning pain on my cheek side same side  as extraction .Went back to oral surg he said that a nice clot fromed but it had looked like it didnt form all the way in the hole as he seen a little hole and could see bone . He had said this could have been from when i sleep if i put pressure without knowing it on the extraction site to cause it to heel like that .He said that it was highly unusal  to have dry socket at this point and to be in much pain from that little hole, but he was going to treat it like dry socket anyway .next day after it was packed and day of felt alot of relif but still felt the burning sensation in my cheek at times .Thurs he took packing out and replaced it and today sat im still in alot of pain with my cheek etc .. Now he is thinking it could be a bit of neuralgia going on its driving me crazy i didnt have this pain befor extraction could dry socket still be causing this and the packing is not working.? Im so  worried I am scheduled to go back on tues to him to get packing out which is almost falling out .. any how he told me to bite on guaze to keep in if i can and if it falls out dont worry about it im still scared this face pain is driving me insane ..anyone had this problem or can shed some light ?
At this point it's probably not dry socket.  When did he put the last packing in...Friday?  If so, Tuesday is a long time to wait to get it out.  We usually take it out the next day.
thanks for commenting , yes it went in on friday and he said he would take out on tues am but i think im goin to go monday and let him take it out as it is kinda just there and my gum has a canker saw on it now . Still on penn v k .. could pain in face be some type of neuralgia but the surgeon also mentioned dead bone ..
thanks
thanks
It may be neuralgia.  Shouldn't really be dead bone.
Have you recovered from the pain?
you might be real messed up from this extraction ., dont let the surgeon cut , or do ANYTHING in your mouth at this point. Let it heal, that's it !!!  Sounds like neuralgia ............get to a neurologist right away !!!   I'm so sorry this happened to you too. It's going on 7 months since my extraction, and I am suffering everyday .