Dental Health Community
Antibiotics for Tooth infections/Abcesses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

My dentist prescibed amoxicillan for a dental abcess (abscess) to try to kill some of the infection before he goes in to do a root canal.  Amoxicillan gives me terrible side effects, however, as do broad spectrum antibiotics.  Can some of you tell me antibiotics you have taken that worked for dental infections?  I can take Cipro fairly easily, but I don't know if it is indicated for dental infections.  I can also take Flagyl for short periods of time, however that is an antifungal.  I'm on chemotherapy right now, so my immune system is somewhat compromised.  Any ideas are welcome.  Thanks!

Gail
Commonly used antibiotics for dental infections are amocicillin, erythromycin family, clindamycin, and flagyl. Flagyl is used mainly for periodotal pathogens.