Dental Health Expert Forum
BROWN GUNK IN MY MOUTH EVERY MORNING

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

BROWN GUNK IN MY MOUTH EVERY MORNING

Don't know if I'm posting in the correct section but the problem is in my mouth.  Every morning when I wake up, I have this Brown gunk that's in my mouth.  It's on my tongue, the roof of my mouth, on my teeth and in the back of my throat. If I drool during the night, it leaves a brown patch on my pillow. It's gross!  Now I've noticed that if I take an antibiotic for whatever given illness, the brown gunk is not nearly as bad or goes away for the most part.  Once I finish the antibiotics, the brown gunk eventually comes back, so this leads me to believe that it's bacterial.  I don't experience any fevers, sore throat, or anything like that.  I feel fine tho I've had this problem for as long as I could remember.  Nevertheless, I still don't know what it is, how i got or how to permanently get rid of it.   Any help would be appreciate.
How's your oral hygiene?  Brush twice a day, flossing once a day?  Mouthwash?  How's your diet?  Any brown gunk during the day as well?  Smoking?  Alcohol?  Relevant medical history?  Last time you had a checkup or dental cleaning?

There's alot of factors to consider.  

You may want to go to a dentist and get it checked out.  They may prescribe a prescription mouth wash to see if it helps initially.

1. How's your oral hygiene? OK

2. Brush twice a day, flossing once a day? HAVE BRUSHED TWICE A DAY BUT NO CHANGE AND I DON'T FLOSS

3. Mouthwash? YES, EVERYDAY SOMETIMES TWICE A DAY

4. How's your diet? BEEN ON A DIET SINCE JUNE. DROPPED OVER 46 POUNDS SO FAR.  I'M 6'2 215LBS

5. Any brown gunk during the day as well? ONLY WHEN I WAKE UP FROM SLEEPING. IT GETS ON MY LIPS TOO

6. Smoking? NEVER

7. Alcohol? CASUALLY IF I GO OUT ON WEEKEND EVENINGS.

8. Relevant medical history? JUST ASTHMA AND AS OF RECENT HYPERTENSION. (REASON FOR MY WEIGHT CONTROL NOW)

9. Last time you had a checkup or dental cleaning? NEVER AS AN ADULT. I'M 34 NOW.
Probably a good idea to see a dentist.  Its important to get regular routine checkups and cleanings to prevent peridontal disease (gingivitis and its progression) and cavities.  

A related discussion, Same as the above for that guy was started.