Dental Health Community
Bad Breath due to crowns

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Bad Breath due to crowns

For many years I did not realized that my bad breath is from the crowns. I have consulted over 15 dentists, orthodontists, ENTs( one of who recommended my tonsils removed), gastrointestinal specialist (with scopes, allergic testing) even a heart specialist, in case there something he knows. Besides all the traditional quacks.
Some deduced that I was over sensitive to extend of psycho while some were sympathetic but helpless.
The fact is the stench from the flossing of the crowns sides is bad as compare to the others.
Finally, the last orthodontist convinced me that it was due to the faulty, leaking crowns. I had them redone with porcelain ones. However, in less than 2 weeks, the smell came back. He being a reputable orthodontist here, had to honor his judgment, recommended a recapping. During the temporary or initial few days, I have not smell better. But in no time its back. He was so exasperated that he gave up and got his partners to take over the case, but to no avail.
I have used all kinds of flows and toothbrushes, tongue scrap, tiny brushes (Japan and French made) to brush in between. I was told by the last one to brush side to side to get at the debris, contrary to the up and down method. All these to no resolve. The fact is the stench from the floss ing of the crowns
I deduced that some people, due to their inherent saliva flow or body metabolism, cannot tolerate food debris which will inevitably be lodged between the crown and the root, gum based area.
I last saw 4 different dentists to have all the crowns and roots removed to replaced with dentures, but none would do it as the crowns as they said are beautiful.
The question is beauty cannot enhance my psychology as its depressing and you cannot talk with conviction as you know the other guy is so offended with the breath.
Guess the next one I should see is the shrink.
Anyone has the answers?
Mouth malordor generally results from Volatile Sulfide Compound, which is produced by bacteria.VSC can be measured by halitometer. If halitometer does'nt detect vsc, the presence of halitosis is questionable.
One last place I would suggest is finding a periodontist who can try to help you with controlling the bacterial growth.  
if the dentists cant smell your problem you might not have one. i noticed sometimes a bad smell while flossing but after the flossing, brushing, rinsing the odor is eliminated which is why i do all that to begin with
Someone told me that if a root canal has been done on the teeth, that the root canals may need to be cleaned out again that sometimes infection can be down in the canals and you may not even know it.   I am having two cleaned out, one from 3 years ago and one from many many years ago.   but I don't know if you had root canals on these or not.   someone just suggested this to me before I get 4 crowns replaced in my mouth.
Thanks for your views. I do have root canal treatment for 3 incisors, the thing is few days after the crownings, the smell came back. The orthodontist  who treated me, was worried he did not do a good job on the cleaning or was not careful on the attachment. He also used the best cement. Less than a week after the recapping with new ones, the smell came back.
He agreed the smell is present but he was just as helpless.
Wow, thanks for posting this. I can't believe that things can get this serious. I'll definitely have my dentists and orthodontists check for this in the future.