Dental Health Expert Forum
Bifurcation

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bifurcation
During last visit, my periodontist said I  have one tooth whose root shows signs of "bifurcation," but he did not explain what that meant. He just said to keep an eye on it. What is it and what am I looking for?
A tooth having a furcation involvement means that you've lost bone structure around that tooth usually due to periodontal disease.  The bone loss causes the roots to be exposed.  The area where the roots separate is the furcation.  A furcation exposed can lead to more serious periodontal problems.  The best course of action is diligent home care and keeping your regularly scheduled dental/periodontal appointments.
Thank you.
A related discussion, caring for a bifurcated tooth was started.
A related discussion, Bifurcation was started.