Dental Health Expert Forum
Bleeding from single spot behind tooth.

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bleeding from single spot behind tooth.

I don't have the best teeth to begin with. I have some bad crowding on the bottom row, but for the most part I have had healthy teeth. Never had a cavity or any issues.

About a month ago i noticed some bleeding around a certain spot on the bottom row. I got some cleaning tools (the little hook looking thing mainly) and started poking around.

The areas in front of my gums would bleed if i so much as touched them, and going behind the tooth caused it to bleed as well.

I then got some new brush heads for my Panasonic Sonicare toothbrush, and made sure to clean around that area better.

Everything seemed to be better, and the bleeding stopped after a week of making sure I brushed there, I could poke the front of the gums and no issues. The problem is now that if I stick the probe hook thing behind the tooth, it starts bleeding a lot.

I cant seen anything out of the ordinary behind the tooth, except the gums look a little darker. For the past two weeks Ive been using mouth wash again to see if it helps, but ti never fails. If i brush my teeth and force the brush behind that tooth its clean. But if I stick the probe down in there it bleeds like crazy. I should note that this tooth is crooked and is half in front of another tooth.

The reason I am asking here first is because like millions of Americans, I cant afford dental care. I am very strapped for cash, and I wanted to see if anyone could give me some suggestions before i throw a few hundred dollars down for a dentist. I have a feeling the tooth is moving and causing issues.

I brush my teeth at leaste twice a day, and try to floss everyday, but it is usually 3- 4 times a week. Something else I noticed is that the guns around this tooth feel softer in general. I am sure that is not a coincidence. When I floss my gums feels ok, but that one area it feels vastly different.
Most studies and research show that your wisdom teeth should not and cannot move those front teeth.  There are people who don't have wisdom teeth who's front teeth crowd and shift.

It sounds like you may possibly having gum disease.  When was your last dental checkup and cleaning?  If its too expensive, try to contact your local dental society, find a local dental school or hygiene school, or free clinic with dental services.  You may be able to find discounted or free services.  There are some hygiene schools (which train hygienists) that will provide cleanings for free or reduced fees.  It just takes longer because they're in training but they are supervised and their treatment is checked.

Hope that helps.
So I might of figured out what the issue is.

I still have my wisdom teeth, and they tried to come in about 5 years ago (i am 22 years old) but they stopped. It looks like a tooth on the far right on my bottom row is shifting in an upward motion.I have the feel it is my wisdom tooth trying to force its way in and moving the teeth on the right side. If i poke around the back on the areas i think i can actually feel the tooth under the gums. I am guessing that isnt good.

Is that scenario possible?
I was afraid of that. I currently don't have any free or discounted dentist around me.

I am going to just have to save up and get this fixed. What can I do until I can get this paid for? Anything to slow down the spread?

I can probably get into a dentist in a few weeks
Its hard to say how severe it is.  I would recommend brushing and flossing regularly to maintain the area.  I wouldn't use the pick like instrument as that can cause injury to the area if used improperly.  Its sharp and the gums are soft.  I would also remind you not to floss or brush too hard either.  Plaque is soft and should come out easily.  Its about being thorough.  But tartar is hard needs to be removed professionally
Bleeding gums are known as gingivitis and can be caused due to a number of reasons. To cure the problem, one has to first understand the underlying reason behind it. The main reason are the bacteria coating the teeth, and if one does not brush thoroughly then it transforms into a white sticky substance called plaque. If it is untreated at the right time it affects the gums through the teeth then going into the bone creating a crater that has to be surgically treated.
More tips & home remedies for bleeding gums

With a pinch of salt soaked in a glass of lukewarm water, you now create a homemade saline solution. Use this to rinse in the morning and in the evening. This will help increase circulation in your gums and reduce the swelling.
No matter how well and how often you brush your teeth, you can't reach the areas between your teeth and below the gums. Make the habit of flossing. Floss comes in very handy. Keep one in your bag or at your office. After meal, floss it!

Treatment for Bleeding gums:

Gingivitis (pronounced "jin-ja-VI-tus"), is the inflammation, swelling, and bleeding of gum tissues. Bleeding gums are known as gingivitis and can be caused due to a number of reasons. To cure the problem, one has to first understand the underlying reason behind it. The main reason are the bacteria coating the teeth, and if one does not brush thoroughly then it transforms into a white sticky substance called plaque. If it is untreated at the right time it affects the gums through the teeth then going into the bone creating a crater that has to be surgically treated.