Dental Health Expert Forum
Bump Under Tongue

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bump Under Tongue

I just noticed a small bump under my tongue.  It is on the base of my mouth.  I can move it around with my tongue and it doesn't hurt.  It's just annoying.  What could it be?  I think I've had this before when I was younger and it just went away.  Does this sound serious?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It could be a blocked mucous or salivary duct.I think it is not serious but would still have it checked out by an oral surgeon.
I get these all the time.  My doctor said they are called mucoceles and they occur when a salivary duct is blocked and the escaping saliva gets into the soft tissue, forming a blister like bubble.

My doctor said that there is nothing to worry about unless the mucocele gets too big or too painful for me to continue regular eating habits.

If you are worried go visit your doctor, otherwise, no worries :)

i too have this blisterlike bump underneath my tongue. it hurts whenever i ever so slightly stretch out my tongue. it started recently, and has been on and off and recurring. it slightly hurts to eat, but i don't know what to do. it  is getting bigger each time it comes up and is now the biggest i have ever seen it. should i be worried?
I, too have a bump under my tongue. It is right on the skin that connects my tongue to my lower jaw, so when i move my tongue, it hurts. It started recently, and has been recurring on and off. However, this morning it was at its fullest and largest size. It appears to be clear, with some sort of transparent fluid inside. It hurts when I eat, for it involved tongue movement. I do not smoke, chew tobacco, or anything of the sort, nor have I ever. Looking at it, it has gotten MUCH bigger over time. Should I be worried?
A related discussion, Bumb under toungue was started.
A related discussion, Bump was started.