Dental Health Community
Burning Tongue - help, help, help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Burning Tongue - help, help, help

I had a gastric bypass 5 years ago, immediately after surgery I had a burning tongue slits in the corner of my mouth jaw and teeth pain (difficult to chew food), I used vaseline on my lips and the slits disappeared.  It took 4 years to go away so what do I do? I had a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) a week ago and the burning tongue and everything came back in a force.  I love spicy food and have always eaten it all my life.  Now the burning tongue and sore gums are "killing me".   please, please, please what can I do to relieve this, right now I am sticking my tongue in ice and water, I tried gargeling with vinegar, brushing, benzocaine, yoghurt and Lordknows whatever else, my doctor says she has never heard of this.   Please tell me what to do, even for temporary relief.
There are systemic and local factors predisposing to burning tongue syndrome. Please google : burning tongue tongue syndrome:. you will achieve detailed information.In brief, you seem to have gastroenterologic problem,which may be associated with vit b12 deficiency, food intolerence,or leaky gut syndrome. These conditions may predispose to burning tongue. If no systemic or local factors identified by your physician, periphral and central nervous system dysfuntion need to be ruled out. An orofacial specialist pain specialist would be able to to help manage your burning tongue problem.
Scottma is right!!! I too had Gastric Bypass about 6yrs ago as well as my Mother.  She had a problem similar to mine and yours that I attributed to her Acid Reflux.  Well... yesterday as I was complaining, she informed me that the Docotr told her it was a Vitamin B12 Deficiency! OMG - I am Anemic due to a B12 Deficiency.  So.. my suggestion is to get your Hemoglobin checked and a full CBC with Iron Binding to see if this may be the issue.  I now I sure am!
hi
thanks.nice post Scottma........
I developed burning tongue in menopause.  A CAT scan of my head showed nothing.  I went to see a dentist who specialized in burning mouth syndrome, but she seemed to be a bit of a quack - very weird tests she gave me and not very scientifically sound.  After several years with the problem, I saw an ear, nose and throat doctor who suggested I try to balance ice chips on my tongue.  Ultra Weird!  However, the object of the exercise was to re-train the tongue to stay still.  He suggested that some people move their tongues around in their mouths more than others & this irritates the tongue causing this sensation.  I noticed it was worse when I was experiencing acid reflux or heartburn.  It's possible that the gastric bypass caused some weird sensations in the esophagus and you were unaware of the hyperactivity of your tongue.  My doctor gave me Clonazepam, a tranquilizer used to calm down repetitive or compulsive movement, and this worked very well. The ice chips didn't work as well - but made me aware of the fact I was unconsciously moving my tongue, scraping it against my lower teeth and irritating it, causing the burning sensation.  If it gets better at night when you sleep, it is most assuredly caused by an overactive tongue.  Strange, but true!