Dental Health Expert Forum
Burning ear pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Burning ear pain

I have been having a burning ear pain in both of my ears.  I have been to the doctor several times and given antbiotics but I don't have an ear infection.  Someone hav told me that it could be TMJ.  Do you think this could be it?  I have been told that I need my wisdom teeth extracted.  Could this be my problem?
Its possible that it can be a dental related pain.  But I can't tell you for sure.  It would be best to go get a checkup and talk to your dentist in regards to possible TMJ problems or your wisdom teeth.  

Do you have any other symptoms such as clicking of the joint, pain when opening/closing, limited openning, jaw getting stuck, etc?  Do you also have any unusual oral habits such as clenching your teeth, grinding at night, etc?

I don't have any other symtoms (symptoms) of TMJ like clicking of the joint, pain when opening/or closing.  I just have this constant pain and burning in both of my ears and a headache.  Every since I have been having this pain in my ears, my nerves have started giving me lots of trouble like having the tremors.  I went to an ENT doctor but he did not do any testing , he just gave me some nasal spray and wrote a prescription for reflux.  I do know that I do have 5 ,some impacted, wisdom teeth that need to be removed.  I have delayed this because my dentist said the the way my wisdom teeth are situated removal could cause some permanent nerve damage to my lower jaw area.  I am going to my pcp on Monday again because I am disturbed about this constant pain and tremors.  I was going to ask him about getting a ct scan.  I had a normal dental appt on Monday but they did not do xrays just cleaning.  Do you think I need to go back to my pcp and tell him that it could be tmj or do I go back to my dentist or make an appt with the oral surgeon and have my wisdom teeth removed?  
That's hard to say.  Its important to find the cause of the problem before seeking treatment.  If you do have an ear problem, I would naturally assume that the ENT would have the best idea of whats going on.  You may want to seek a second consultation as the nasal spray and prescription for reflux hasn't worked.  I would go that route first prior to the extractions.  What did your dentist say about your symptoms?  

I didn't mention my symptoms to my dentist when I went for my regular cleaning because I had no inkling that my ear problem could have anything to do with my teeth. Should I go back to my regular dentist and tell him the problems?  Thanks for your help!!
Its possible that tooth pain can trigger pain in the ear as well.  But it sounds like your symptoms are isolated to the ear only, right?