Dental Health Community
Burnt palate (roof of mouth) or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out or has experienced this. I woke up yesterday and I believe my mouth felt kind of sore but I didnt really pay any mind to it yesterday. This morning I woke up and looked in the mirror with my tongue out and noticed that i have a reddish discoloration on the roof of my mouth. I dont want to call it "patches" because it is not raised or velvety or blistered, it is just red in areas. that also seems to be where the soreness is. its a few different areas on the roof of my mouth, lowest one being near my tonsils. I cannot remember if i burned my mouth on anything this weekend, all i know is i had a lot of different food late saturday night at a mexican restaurant. Does anyone know what it would look like if you slightly burned the roof of your mouth? i am hoping it is that and nothing more serious, but any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
if burning sensation persists more than a week, seeing a dentist is advised.
Thanks for your reply. I actually went to the dentist, a new one last night to get a cleaning and ask about my palate. I am new in my town. Now, I have a larger problem on my hands. I didnt realize it till sitting in the chair, but this dentist office was very shady. There was no hygienist, old equipment, not a very clean place, and i dont think the dentist cleaned any of the tools. i saw him pool the "scraper" thing for cleaning plaque out of a random drawer. I am really freaked out and nervous as i also didnt see any sterilization equipment. Could this dentist have put me in harms way because of all of this? i am so nervous! Is there a way to check this dentists procedures? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Are you from the U.S.? The dental office you described is extremely unusual. All dental offices are supposed to comply with OSHA regulations, even  back to my old days while I pracised in N.Y.,20 years ago. The chance of transmission of pathogen to your body through dental treatment is low. If you do'nt feel comfortable with new office, you may need to visit other dental offices.
Yes I'm in the U.S. Ive only been to one dentist my whole life before this and it was much much nicer there, cleaner too. I am definitely never going back there. I just wanted to make sure nothing unusual could have happened to me since i agree, this place was extremely unusual.
To add to my last comment, I am even more angered and scared since I last wrote. I basically spoke with the receptionist today who actually told me she would never go to him as a dentist, she started whispering and said she could contact me privately if I would like. I can only imagine the possibilities that I have been exposed to dirty equipment, disease, bacteria, etc. at this point. I am seriously looking into making a formal complaint. This is just out of this world and I cant understand how many others go there on a routine basis. Thankfully I received a cleaning only, i couldnt not even imagine getting a cavity filled, crown, etc. Any other advice for me? Thanks.