Dental Health Community
Butcher for a Dentist!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Butcher for a Dentist!!

My poor husband has just come back for the dentist - he had a rear upper molar (double tooth?) extracted but he showed it to me and it was perfect!! The dentist told him he had to remove it to get to another tooth behind it to do treatment!!  This sounds like madness to me - surely no dentist in his right mind would extract a healthy tooth!  We have the tooth in the freezer and  I am begging him to go back and see if they can put it back in - it was extracted at 11.30 today and it is now 1.30pm.

Can anyone suggest what we should do now - complain, or can it still be put back in, and then complain?  We are in Lisbon Portugal.
I have heard that the best medium for a knocked out tooth to be replaced is to put it in milk; I never have heard of putting it in the freezer.
I believe there is a window of time to have it put in successfully..I don't know how long.
That's all I know; sorry.

I agree it is madness; but I am not a professional.
That sounds absolutely crazy!   Dentists persuade you to keep your teeth except in extreme cases where they can't be saved for certain reasons.   For a dentist to pull out a perfectly healthy molar which is vital for chewing, is absurd.   And all that just so he could work on a tooth behind it?   He's a crazy man.    If that was the case and he couldn't reach the tooth behind it for proper treatment, then it would have been more logical to pull the tooth that needed the treatment, rather than pull a perfectly healthy one.   And for that matter, why couldn't he treat it just because it was behind another one?   Any tooth can be worked on by a good dentist unless it's actually impacted under the gum.    Again.......crazy.
One more thing........the tooth can be reimplanted.  If you have to pick it up, pick it up by the crown, not the roots, and rinse it with milk or water.   Put the tooth in a container of milk to keep it from drying out and see a dentist immediately.   Not the crazy man who took it out though !   The sooner you see a dentist, the better the chances of success.   In many cases, the tooth can successfully be reinserted and bonded to the adjacent teeth for support.   But get it out of the freezer........this will only dry it out and you don't want that.   Milk is the answer.