Dental Health Community
Capped tooth no longer hurts - pain moved to my ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Long Story - 5 months ago I broke the only molar I have left in my mouth. It did not initially hurt but begain hurting within a month and I went to the dentist. He capped the tooth, but the pain seemed to intensify after the cap went on. After about 3 weeks of thinking things would get better, I gave in and went back to him. He thought I might need a root canal so he sent me to the root canal specialists. After heat cold sensitive test and ex-rays he said there was no evidence I needed a root canal.

By now the pain had moved up my jaw and into behind my ear. The ear felt like it was running fever and my hearing started to detoriate. I set up an appointment with an ear nose and throat specialists, who said he believed I may have an inflamed nerve, and gave me medicine for that. It helped for about 3 - 4 days then the pain started coming back. It would wake me up if I happened to roll over on it. I finished all the medicine, but it really never did a whole lot of good.

Well here is the deal, it is now 4 months since the cap went on and the pain has mostly subsided but my ear still feels like it is running a fever, my hearing has been affected, I have ringing in my ears, and there is a tightness behind that ear and around the side of my face that comes and goes with intesity during the day.

My Mother mentioned something called a mastoid infection...but you would thing the ear nose and throat guy would have found that.

Is it possible that all of this has been caused from the cap being set too high? I notice myself grinding on that tooth, when I don't remember doing that before.

To date I have spent about $1200 for about 30 minutes face time with various professionals. I am beginning to think this could all have been avoided if I had just had the tooth pulled.

I can deal with it if it will eventually just go away, but because it is happening so near my brain, I don't want to take undue chances if it is something more serious.

Any advice?

If your current symptoms developed after crown delivery, it's possible occlusal interference of new crown was the culprit,particularly if it's a molar crown. If your dentist can not solve your bite problem, you may need to see an occlusionist or prosthodontist.