Dental Health Community
Chemical Burn from Mouthwash

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Chemical Burn from Mouthwash

Hi everyone,

I'm extremely distraught right now. A day and a half ago I had a gum infection (a swollen lump on the gum) so I brushed it hard to open it up and swished mouthwash for a very long time. The good news is that the antibacterial action got rid of the gum infection. However, I completely overused the mouthwash! I used about 1/3 of a family sized bottle and swished it around for 30 minutes rather than 30 seconds and was NOT thinking straight as I was in severe pain from my gum infection. Now, I can barely taste anything after a day and a half! I put sugar on my tongue and tasted none of it. I looked at my tongue in the mirror and it is very rough with swollen taste buds I believe. I understand it is from the alcohol that chemically burned my tongue and I am extremely worried I will never have taste again! Can anyone advise me on what to do or how long I should wait to expect my taste again? Thanks everyone so much. It was Life Brand Fresh Mint Mouthwash that I used and I am extremely regretful right now.

Thanks.