Dental Health Community
Dental infection dentist won't do root canal w/out crown lenghthin...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Dental infection dentist won't do root canal w/out crown lenghthing

I've been needing a root canal & was also told I needed a crown lenghthing hard tissue & crown but since some personal family emergency came up & ate away most of my savings I decided 2 only pay 4 what was hurting the most the root canal since my face is swollen now & tooth & jaw it hurts ALL time but the dentist said he wouldn't do just the root canal he'd b fine if I had root canal & crown lenghting  but not just the root canal & we can hold off on the crown he didn't even prescribe antibiotics & it got worse so winded up w/ fever & it's more swollen I had 2 go 2 my dr 4 antibiotics & pain meds but that is not even working as I finished all the amoxicillion  and it's still painful even more now & goes 2 jaw & ear pain is it normal r legal for a dentist 2 hold off on root canal/infected tooth if I can only pay 4 root canal and not the crown lenghting ?I know the pain is caused more by the infection & I need the root canal so is it normal for a dentist to refuse to do a root canal any dentist can give me advice thank you
Seeing an endodontist to have root canal done first is advised. You can havde crown lenthening procedure and crown later on.
He was 1 & that;s what I thought
I've found that money is a big thing to dentists. One dentist told me he couldn't put a crown on a tooth after root canal because of severe periodontal disease. Had to see the periodontist who told me I'd start lost losing teeth if extensive treatment weren't started right away. Cost for his treatments would run about $9,000 plus the cost of general dentist to do root canals, crowns, and extractions at another $6,000.

Went to see another dentist who came highly recommended and was told things weren't that bad. A few root canals later and with root planing and deep cleaning and I'm fine for about $2200.

You need to be going to the right dentist and finding the right dentist seems to be a lot of luck.

-Steve
http://www.berkshire-select.com
I need aroot canal and i am so terrified of the dentist it ging to cost me $940 dollars with comfort dental..I had to join their GOLD MEMBER plan to get it at this price...WHY does it cost so much??Its hard when your on social security snd can't afford these service any advice..From :Trying To Save A Tooth
Well, there are two main sources for costs for any healthcare.
1) You are seeing a doctor, who was probably in school for 8-12 years, who needs to make a living.  Most dental offices also have a staff of anywhere from 2-10 people who also require a salary.  Staff costs are usually the largest percentage of any business expenses.

2) However, the largest increase in healthcare costs has come from the government.  Everytime they put a new regulation, tax, law, etc. that affects healthcare, prices go up to pay for said regulations.  

You can always have the tooth removed for a fraction of the cost.  That may not be the ideal option, but it is always an option.