Dental Health Expert Forum
Did my Dentist make a mistake

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Did my Dentist make a mistake

I had a root canal done on my right lower wisdom tooth; I was forgotten by the VA dentist department for the fitting of my cap. When I was put back into the system a temp cap was put in and told not to chew gum. I followed the instructions. When my permanent cap was ready to be put in, the VA Dentist had to grind some of the inner part to make it fit to my existing wisdom root. And when it wouldn’t fit properly for my bite, he ground my upper wisdom toot quite a bit to make it fit for my bite.
The ill fitted cap would not let my front teeth come to down for a proper bite on the right side. About 1/8 inch gap before the upper tooth was grounded on.
Should I be worried that he did not treat my upper wisdom tooth after he grounded on it to make the bite correct?
The edges of the said tooth are sharp, not like the rest of my teeth, they feel rounded to my tong.
It depends.  Your wisdom tooth may be short and thus there's a limited amount of space to place your crown.  They could potentially create more space by shortening the upper wisdom tooth to create that needed room.  If the crown was too thin on top, it would have a higher chance to crack or break.  

Can you bite down fully now or is there still a problem with the fitting on the crown with chewing?  If there's a bite problem, then it definitely needs to be addressed now.

If its just sharpness on the upper wisdom tooth, they can smooth it out by polishing the tooth.
Why would it be short, they made a mold of the old tooth to make a mold for the crown, then they ground the tooth down to the root of the old tooth, and put a temp cap from the mold of the original tooth. My main concern is the grinding off the good top wisdom tooth, the enamel that was taken off and not treated afterward. Or are the commercials on TV for teeth care just conning everyone about enamel ware from acidy foods, and stiff brushes.
That really depends on how much they took off the top wisdom tooth.  

Also, some teeth are just short in general either due to wear or because of variations in anatomy.

Such a nice advice.