Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry Sockets

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dry Sockets

Good morning or evening or day or night or afternoon ladies and gentlemen and whassup. Me again. My name is Hamed Khatiz and I am a wisdom surgery recovery patient. I had the operation on Thursday 2PM (Monday 1:16PM here) and I noticed something. The swelling has gone down dramatically, so I am nearly home and the pain from the sockets has gone down. Except for one.

The socket on the bottom left hand side still hurts quite considerably. Do I have dry socket? My problem only ticks one of the boxes. I do not have a suckish taste in my mouth, I do not have bad breath, I do not have moulding, whatever that is, it just hurts. Probably on a 4 from 10, if I brush my teeth and accidentally hit it, that would go up a 6 or 7. What do you reckon?

I am going to contact my surgery, Richard, cause I don't even think they operated on that side, I think it might have been the bottom right instead. But what do you say, dry socket or something else.

Advice, thoughts? I have heard people say ridiculous things about how painful this is. I heard one person say "When I was hit by a car, I thought I knew what pain was, broken arms, detached retinas. And then I had this." For me, it is not that bad, it is just annoying. I have furthermore heard that dry sockets left untreated heal on their own, it just takes 7-10 days. Others have said it can have potentially deadly consequences. True, bogus?

Khatiz.
  • Dry socket (7 replies):
    I had 7 teeth extracted on Tuesday with general anasthet...[more]
  • Dry Socket (1 replies):
    I posted a question on July 1. Since that time, the pain...[more]
  • re; dry socket (2 replies):
    hi I had a top back tooth extracted on the may 12th o...[more]
  • dry socket (3 replies):
    i've had sry socket for 3 weeks now, and the pain in the...[more]
  • Dry Socket
    Good morning or evening or day or night or afternoon lad...[more]
It depends on what the actual cause is.  It sounds like its just healing slowly and not as fast as the other sockets, perhaps due to the difficulty of removing it.  I would still follow up with your surgeon to make sure
I had a lower molar extracted 4 weeks ago. The area where extraction occurred is very painful just now. I woke up with stabbing throbbing pain. What could be going on.  It hurts under my chin and radiates to my neck and ear. It's Saturday here and there is no where to go and I need some relief from this. Will they help me at the ER?