Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry socket that doens't hurt? or it's normal.

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Sir/Ma'am,

I just want to consult or atleast configure if this is normal, or not.

I just had my tooth extracted about 5 days ago.
3 days after extracting it, i had a foul taste and smell, and also there's a white-grayish thing inside the cut.
so i thought it would be a 'dry socket', but i'm not suffering in such pain, when for all i know dry sockets comes with severe pain. I tried to clean the cut (somehow) by garling/mouth washing of one-half or salt in a cup of warm water after i brushed my teeth. The foul taste and smell dissappeared, but now there's a black-white thing on the cut, and i think that my face(the part where the cut was) is a bit fatter or should i say is swelling, is that normal after the tooth was extracted?
(I know i should meet my dentist but our schedules can't meet.)

thank you, godbless,

by the way, isn't it dry sockets occurs when there is difficulty in extracting the tooth?
well, when my tooth was being extracted my dentist went hard time, 'coz my teeth are bigger than it should be compare to my mouth.

thanks again
-waiting for your kindess reply^^
It probably isn't dry socket.  It sounds like its healing fine and the bad smell/taste was probably just some food stuck in the socket that you wisely flushed out.  Continue to be gentle but keep the area clean and the gums will fill in and cover that area.  Once that happens, the bone will fill in and you won't have to worry anymore.

Dry socket is when the bone in the socket is exposed.  As you can imagine, the bone doesn't like to be exposed to air, water, cold etc and it will hurt quite a bit to let you know to do something about it.  
Oh. so it's normal.

thanks you very much, and godspeed^^
Sounds like it to me.  If the symptoms get worse or persist, then you may want to get a follow up with your dentist.