Extreme sensitivity after crown prep
I am getting 4 upper front crowns re–done. Three of the teeth have been root canaled, and one is live. I had the teeth prepped today, then temporary crowns were placed (they are all fused together in one unit, the permanent ones will be separate).
The anesthetic has worn off and the one live tooth is now extremely sensitive. It hurts non–stop and the pain can be described as "extreme sensitivity". I took 600mg of ibuprofen but that did not take the sensitivity away.
Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is this normal? Will it subside? I have lots of crowns, some are on live teeth. As far as I remember, most of the live teeth were sensitive to cold and hot after being prepped, but as long as I kept colds and hots away from the tooth, I was fine.
This tooth, however, hurts constantly, it's very unpleasant.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am so scared I'll need a root canal now... :(
Hi and welcome. Ive been through similar and ended up with a root canal. I think its the best thing to do as you dont need the nerve in the tooth. The dentist told me that nerves in teeth date back to the caveman days where we ate roots that contained rocks and if we bit the rock we would feel it and stop chewing so not to break the tooth.
You probably need a root canal in that tooth.  It's best to get it now because it they have to do it after the crown is put on it can be very expensive.  Call your dentist and go from there.  Take care..