Dental Health Expert Forum
Extreme tooth pain under crown
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Extreme tooth pain under crown

Over Memorial Day weekend I started having pain on the bottom right side of my mouth (dentist said tooth #29 and back) and I have been to the dentist several times to correct the problem.  I have two crowns in those two back molars (did not have root canals on those molars) the dentist said the tooth (#29) appears to be fine (no decay according to X-Ray) and sensitivity may be due to an exposed root (on tooth #29).  He proceeded to apply some type of coating (smelled like nail polish) to cover any exposed areas of tooth #29 and crowns, but I am still having a problem.  That has gotten progressively worse.  I can not eat on that side of my mouth and I have to take 2-3 advil at a time several times a day to get rid of the pain.  Over the last couple of days I realized when I touch the crown next to tooth #29 I get extreme pain.  Could the crown have come loose or could there be an infection under the crown?  If so, how would I/my dentist know?