Dental Health Community
Front teeth Extractions-Bad taste/tender area problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had my two front teeth extracted almost three months ago & have developed a bad taste in my mouth, coming from area of where #8 was removed.  What has my oral surgeon & me baffled is I had a tender spot right up under my nose area after apoco surgery he did that would not go away.  This tender area was one of the main reasons for the extraction.  He did find mushy/soft bone tissue and filled with cow bone during the apoco, but since whole area did not get better, & tenderness stayed, the extraction was done.  I’m frustrated because the main reason for the extraction was this tender area situation & we did not understand what was causing it.  Still have the tender area and now yucky taste started.  I taste it especially when I lick my lips or touch my tongue. I’m on antibiotics for 2 weeks, but no change. X-rays show nothing abnormal.  I never would have had my tooth extracted if I was going to continue with the same problem!  (Besides I was on antibiotics off & on the last year during apocos & root canals.) Now I'm feeling I may have made a mistake.  I am a 51 year young woman.  These are my two front teeth!  Now I'm not sure when we can proceed with placing the implant material if this does not clear up. If there is no nerves & roots how can I be feeling anything at all? My oral surgeon said from his past experience going back up in there hasn't been the answer, and there's times he's regretted it.  He talked about possibly having me see an infections disease doctor (?).  Might this be gum disease beginning?  But that doesn’t make sense to me because the problem is just in that particular area and only with #8, not #9. #9 had had two apoco's previously & since possibly might have problems later with it; cosmetically it was decided to just do them together. I hate this flipper, & I’m beginning to feel like a mistake was made with both. Any advice on what my problem can be?  I'm worried because he doesn't seem to know what's next.I want my implants & regular teeth.
Based on the information provided, it appears that there are no oral soft tissue , hard tissue, nose, and sinus pathologies identified. I would think that might be the conditions known as hyperesthesia, dysesthesia, hyperpathia.
hyperesthesia: an increased sensitivity to stimulation,excluding the special senses
dysesthesia:an unpleasant abnormal sensation, whether spontaneous or evoked
hyperpathia:a painful syndrome characterized by abnormally painful reaction to a stimulus, especially a repetitive stimulus, as well as an increased threshold( increased threshold and increased response: stimulus and response are in the same mode).
These conditions are generally caused by central nervous system dysfunction. Management is pharmacotherapy.In my experience, Antidepressants,such as amitryptyline, or Anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin are effective. Seeing a neurologist is advised.
Thank you for the speedy response. Taking into consideration what you're saying about taking antidepressants, let's assume for a moment that it is neurological and I do not get on any prescription drugs.  Then if it's "just in my head'/my nervous system so to speak, and I simply just continue to have only a faint throb occasionally & simply a tender spot under my nose, and the condition doesn't change, (which it hasn't for a few months now); then could we perhaps assume there is nothing "really physically or orally" wrong & just go ahead with placing the implants as scheduled for June? I'm going to discuss all this with my oral surgeon of course; but I'd like your opinion also of if it' was (just) neurological to just go ahead with everything & maybe it will all go away. I have a fairly happy life & do not want to not feel the need or wish to start any medications for depression or the sort.  However, I do understand what you're saying in a way.  That's why I'm asking, ok, let's assume it's that, you think I can go on with placing the implants?  Thank you so much.
Antidepressants and anticonculsants are off-label use for your condition,for regulation of cns sensitization, which has nothing to do with depression and convulsion. Consultayion with neurologist is advised. With regard to implant placement, your surgeon can make the best judgement.