Dental Health Community
Front tooth abscess

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Front tooth abscess

2 or 3 year ago I broke one of my front teeth in half, I got a filling to cover the end pretty quickly, then eventually I got a veneer for the tooth. Ive had it for about 1.5 - 2 years now with no problems but then a few weeks ago started to become sensitive, it wasn't too bad so I didn't think much of it at first, but the sensitivity progressively became worse and worse especially to hot drinks or breathing warm air. It got so bad one day it was nearly incapacitating. since that day though the pain has gone away for the most part. if i tap on my tooth it still hurts a little bit, but nothing too serious. not however my upper lip and face has begun to swell up and become quite sensitive to touch.

after doing some research online I think that I have abscess in my front tooth, but I'm starting to get worried at the fact that my tooth is no longer in pain. Could that mean my tooth is already dead?
Also the swelling is getting a little worse every day, I'm not sure how serious all of this is. I have a dentist appointment but it is still a week away, should I start seeking out a different dentist to get in sooner or just wait patiently?

thank you.
See if you can get in sooner.  Whatever you do, do NOT let it go any longer than the appt you already have, even if the pain goes away.

That's what I did, and within two years the infection that I didn't even know I had had dissolved enough bone that I had to have the four top front teeth out and implants placed.

All because I didn't take care of what I thought was a small infection in my front tooth that I had thought went away.

If you can get in to see your dentist sooner, that's what I would do.  Esp. if you are experiencing swelling.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
My very best to you,
Gellia

Good luck and let us know how you do.
My very best to you,
Gellia
ok so I got in to see another dentist before my appointment, good thing I did because my appointment had already been scheduled for a month before my problems started and it was just for a cleaning.
so my problem was diagnosed as abscess, the dentist gave me some antibiotics (amoxicillin) and within two days the swelling had gone down and mace was no longer sore to touch. The pain never returned btw.
I had the fist half of my root canal done today, the dentist drilled a hole into the tooth and drained out all the poison and temporarily closed the hole. I have a second appointment for him to finish cleaning out the inside of my tooth fill it with plastic and seal it up.
The operation wasn't bad at all, my tooth and face feel almost back to normal and i feel generally relieved.
WONDERFUL!  I'm so glad you were able to get it taken care of right away that your pain and swelling is nearly gone.  That's GREAT news!

My very best to you and congratulations!  We love success stories!

Gellia