Getting immediate dentures..what to expect?

later this month, early next month..I'll be getting immediate dentures (upper)...what can I expect as far as pain/recovery..the dentist has told me some but I keep forgetting to ask other questions...I plan on being home from work for a week as I know I'll be going back for adjustments and there will be swelling..do they generally use anesthesia to pull the teeth (ie, "twilight") or is it novocaine and nitrous?

Jim
Jim:
It just depends on what teeth they are removing.  If you are having some wisdom teeth pulled as well, they might do IV sedation.  I would ask them.  Sometimes it's difficult for the dentists to use nitrous when they are pulling so many teeth at once - because the equipment for nitrous gets in the way.  I would call them and ask them what they are doing.  Ask if they can do IV sedation.  It's like a twilight thing similar to when you would have an endoscope or colonoscopy. I work for a large dental clinic in Utah and our oral surgeon typically uses IV sedation.  Like I said, call and ask them.  You can expect swelling and discomfort.  If you smoke, do  not smoke during the time after the teeth are pulled, do not use a straw, etc.  It can cause dry sockets and they are extremely painful.  My prayers are with you that you will have a lot of success and that they will keep you comfortable during the procedure.  Immediate dentures are not easy, but so worth it in the long run!!!  

Good luck!!!
HAD IT DONE 9 DAYS AGO, NO BIG DEAL .JUST HAD FREEZING HE PULLED 19 TEETH ,THEN PUT IN THE DENTURES .YOU WILL FEEL DISCOMFORT FOR 24 HRS USE T3 AFTER THAT .JUST THAT THROBBING FEELING NOT REALLY PAIN .EAT THINGS LIKE SMOOTHIES ,YOUGART ,OATMEAL .EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE .DRINK LOTS OF WATER 8 GLASSES IF POSSIBLE.  GOOD LUCK EVERYTHING WILL BE OK.