Dental Health Expert Forum
Gum Pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Gum Pain

I have persistent pain in my upper gums. I brush daily and try to floss but it is too painful and I bleed a lot when floss. I tried changing my toothpaste to a gun health one but after six months, I see little change in my pain. I don't have dental insurance, so what should I do?
You should still see a dentist regardless of insurance or not.  It sounds like there's gum disease and its going to progressively get worse if its not taken care of by a dentist.  

If cost is a major issue and you live in the US, you may be able to find a dental school or a dental hygiene school to find treatment at reduced rates.  They are very thorough and these students will take care of you.  They are checked and supervised by licensed dentists or hygienists.  The only major drawback is that it tends to take longer to get the complete treatment done.  Another option may be to check with the local dental society to see what resources they have available.

You can tray these tips hope it will helpful for you:-
1. Smash up 2 tbsp. of whole cloves and mix with 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Place the paste on your painful tooth and gums. The paste should help eliminate the pain almost immediately, but it is only a temporary solution.

2. Massage your earlobe or hand (between the thumb and forefinger) gently. If your toothache is on the right side, take two fingers and rub the earlobe (or hand) on your right side and vice versa.