Dental Health Community
How much amoxicillin should I take for abscess?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I have a wisdom tooth that is abscessed.  I have 250 mg amoxicillin capsules that are not expired from a previous illness.  The RX was for me so I am going to use them.

What is the correct dosage for a 41 year old man weighing 210 lbs?

thank you.
Amoxicillin is fine if it's the correct antibiotic.  Dental infections can be from either an aerobic bacteria or anaerobic bacteria.  Having the correct antibiotic is VERY important.

I urge you to at least call your dentist for approval before you treat a dental abscess yourself.
Amoxicillin may be fine, but you may need something like clindamycin instead.

Also, it's very important that a FULL dose is taken for dental infections.  Not to do so will only breed yourself a stronger bacteria in the future that can do more damage.  Dental abscess rarely go away without some kind of eventual medical intervention.

GOOD LUCK and please let us know how you do.
My best to you,
Gellia

nevermind.  I went to pdrhealth and found the following for anyone else in the same situation.

What is the usual dosage?
Return to top

The information below is based on the dosage guidelines your doctor uses. Depending on your condition and medical history, your doctor may prescribe a different regimen. Do not change the dosage or stop taking your medication without your doctor's approval.

Ear, Nose, Throat, Skin, Genital, and Urinary Tract Infections

Adults: For mild or moderate infections, the usual dose is 250 milligrams every 8 hours, or 500 milligrams every 12 hours. For severe infections, the usual dose is 500 milligrams every 8 hours, or 875 milligrams every 12 hours.

Lower Respiratory Tract Infections

Adults: For mild, moderate, or severe infections, the usual dose is 500 milligrams every 8 hours, or 875 milligrams every 12 hours.

Gonorrhea, Acute, Uncomplicated Anogenital, and Urethral Infections

Adults: The usual dosage is 3 grams in a single oral dose.

Ulcers

Adults: For ulcer treatment, Amoxil is combined with other medications. There are several dosage regimens available, and your doctor will choose the best one for you.

If your kidneys are severely impaired or you are undergoing hemodialysis, the doctor may have to adjust your dosage accordingly.

Children older than 3 months: Children weighing 88 pounds and over should follow the recommended adult dose schedule. Children weighing under 88 pounds will have their dosage determined by their weight.

My best to you,
Gellia

thank you
The pain is down today from an 8 out of 10 to a 3 out of 10
Sounds as though the amoxi is doing the trick!  Be sure to take a FULL dosage.  Dental abscess rarely completely go away without a full dose.  They have a tendency to just "simmer".  

If it comes back, be sure to get yourself to a dentist.

A simmering infection can spread along the peridontal ligament and affect your other teeth with bone loss.  That's the worst part of a resolving abscess.  If you don't treat the problem it just stays there and dissolves the bone holding the teeth in.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Gellia
is 7 days a full dose?