Dental Health Community
Intense tooth and jaw pain with sinus infection - could it be somethin...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Intense tooth and jaw pain with sinus infection - could it be something more?

I have had frequent sinus infections for the past 10 years. I often experience some pain & pressure in my upper teeth, but never enough to prevent me from chewing, etc...

Three weeks ago I developed yet another sinus infection & the most INTENSE tooth pain I have ever felt. It seemed to be especially bad in a tooth that actually has had a root canal. I take three Vicodin a day for my fibromyalgia, but they did not even begin to touch the pain. My doctor put me on amoxicillin & the tooth pain subsided in two days. My sinuses, however, never really cleared up - they felt better, but never stopped draining & I never stopped coughing up phlegm..

Three days ago the intense tooth pain returned (three days after finishing my antibiotic) - it is now in all of my top teeth on the right side. I have been on another antibiotic for two days now, but the pain is actually getting worse. My entire jaw on the right side of my mouth just hurts continually, it is painful to eat even the softest foods, my jaw on the right side aches, & my sinuses are so sensitive that I can barely touch them.

When I went to the doctor yesterday (a walk-in clinic as my doctor is not open on Saturdays), he prescribed the antibiotic, but did not do any x-rays or blood work. I am afraid I have an infection in someplace other than just my sinuses, like my jaw.  

I have an appointment at the dentist on Monday morning, but if my teeth some back clear, I don't know what else to do. I have been to several ENT's over the years & had a turbinate reduction 8 years ago. However, since then, the ENT's have said they don't see anything wrong with my sinuses, tonsils, or ears. They cannot explain why I get SO MANY sinus, sore throats, & ear infections. I checked my records for 2011 - I was on antibiotics ELEVEN TIMES for sinus infections, strep throat, & ear infections.  

Please help!
You may be suffering fron sinus toothache. However, if there is no dental and sinus pathology identified by dentist and ent, you may need to see an orofacial pain specialist.
Thank you for the advice - I had never even heard of an orofacial pain specialist!!  I see the dentist tomorrow afternoon and I am now on a stronger antibiotic, but the pain is so intense that I can barely cope.  I woke up in the middle of the night with so much pain in my right cheek (in that sinus) that breathing in the room temperature AIR was intolerable.

Thank you, again - I will look into an orofacial pain specialist if the dentist and ENT are not able to figure out what is WRONG with me!

~Blessings~
I found this and I am experiencing almost the exact same symptoms. The pain is so intense and keeps getting worse. I see this was several months ago.....I'm curious.....what was the end result for you? Just another sinus infection or something more difficult to diagnose and treat? I hope you're over it now!
I just read your comment.  I have had two types of facial pain over the years.
One is from severed sinus infections.  The second was due to TMJ.  It took the doctors 2 years before they discovered that one.  Hope yours turns out to be quickly fixable.
Thank you for your comment! I actually went to an ENT today and was SHOCKED to find out my sinuses are in perfect condition. He is almost certain the intense pain I felt was due to TMJ, just like yours! I just have a hard time believing that because when I started on a Z-Pack, the pain went away within a day or two. Who knows? I'm so confused and if it is TMJ....there's nothing anyone can really do about it since a night guard is out of the question for me being that I have too much dental work that would be damaged by one. Ugh!! I'm so frustrated! I hope you've found a way to stop having your facial pain!!
I hope Tuesday didn't get terrible news; she never responded. Right now I have a cold with sinus issues and my jaw (upper right) hurts if I open my mouth too wide. Am I dying?

Thank you.
Ugh. I have had the worst tooth pain now for days. I was convinced I had a broken tooth, went to the dentist, and my teeth are perfect! The dentist thinks I have this pain because I grind my teeth at night, but I have never felt this much pain, ever. I can't believe how much my mouth hurts. I am young, big, strong, healthy man but this jaw pain is driving me crazy. I called an allergy doctor, but I have be off of allergy medicine for 5 days before I can see him.

I didn't even know this kind of jaw pain was even possible.