Dental Health Community
Is my tooth dying?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Is my tooth dying?

7 weeks ago I had a very old amalgam filling replaced with a white one due to some decay under the filling.  The filling was on my upper pre molar and very deep.  During the procedure the dentist told me that the nerve was exposed.  She said that it looked like it had been exposed before but had repaired itself.   I was advised that the tooth would be sensitive for a couple of weeks or so.  Well here I am 7 weeks later and have a dull pain that radiates to the jaw hinge area almost all the time. On a scale of 1-10  I would rate the pain as 4 or 5 at the moment.  

I take 200mg ibuprofen and the pain goes immediately within 20 minutes.   The tooth is extremely sensitive to cold and although I haven't been dousing my tooth in boiling water I think I'm getting some mild sensitivity to hot as well but I can't be sure now because it aches all the time.    I went back to the dentist and asked for a x-ray to see if something else was going on inside the tooth but she didn't do one.  She tapped the teeth and I felt no sensation or pain which she said was a good sign,  She puffed air on it and the sensitivity kicked in.  She then advised me that my gum had receeded around that tooth due to the deep filling which had exposed a part of the tooth that is not covered by enamel and therefore very sensitive.  I was advised to rub the tooth with sensodyne and leave it overnight  for the next 6 weeks.

I am desperately trying to avoid a root canal treatment on this tooth and hoping that my nerve will repair itself once again,  but what I really want is some advice on is whether I'm kidding myself and making the whole situation worse for me if I do need a RCT.     Are these usual symptoms that are associated with a deep filling and how long should I expect this to go on for.

Is my tooth dying?
i alway though a root canal was needed when a nerve is exposed. even if the nerve heals enough to not cause you pain the enamel and dentin do no heal so it would sill be exposed risking future pain and infection. it sounds like even if your pain goes away for awhile you will eventually need a root canal. most (not all) teeth that experience heat sensitivity have an infection.