Dental Health Community
Jawbone showing??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Jawbone showing??

I have a question for you .. My husband is 26 years old, has been smoking for the past 2 years having about one cigarette per day, hasn't had his wisdom teeth removed, and they've come in, and hasn't been to any dentist for about 11 years, thus never having any major operations in his mouth except for silver fillings. He did have braces for a short time.

About a week and a half ago, he noticed pain and swelling in the left hand back corner of his mouth. The pain worsened, and now we just noticed tonight that his gums have receded to show a small portion of his jawbone. What could this be and how can it be treated?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
And thank you for making this site.  
Gum recession and bone exposure are extremely rare clinical presentations. Your descriptions are probably pointing to wisdom tooth showing through distal gum of second molar.Seeing an oral surgeon is advised.