Dental Health Community
Lymph nodes - mouth ulcers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Lymph nodes - mouth ulcers

In august 2008 I started went to my dentist for a check up and he professionally cleaned my teeth.  In the following few weeks I got swollen lymph nodes, that I assume were due to trauma to the mucus lining of the mouth during the check-up. At this time my lymph nodes became swollen, those under my jaw, and I assume that this is because of the mouth ulcers which I believe can cause swollen lymph nodes.  However, since then my nodes have continued to be swollen and have not gone away, although I have had several more episodes of mouth ulcers occuring every month or two.  When I have the ulcers the nodes tend to hurt and possibly slightly swell even larger.  Currently my left one is about 1x0.5 cm and my right larger at 1.5x1 cm, however I have just got over one bout of mouth ulcers.  I am also skinny and so it is possible that my lymph nodes are more easily felt than other peoples.

What I am asking is is it very worrisome that my lymph nodes have continued to remain relatively large?  Can ulcers indeed cause swelling?  Would the recurring ulcers cause the lymph nodes to remain enlarged?
Swollen lymph nodes are usually a sign of infection, and not caused by simple tissue trauma of a deep cleaning.  Reoccuring ulcers are usually a sign of a viral infection. You should check back with your dentist, or see an oral surgeon or pathologist.
I meant that I got ulcers due to the tissue trauma of cleaning.  I know of many people who get lymph node swelling from ulcers, as they are inflamatory in nature.  It could also be because ulcers may be due to some unknown virus.  As for the recurring ulcers, I am not particularly worried about them per se, as I have always had those since I was very young and so it cannot be any viral infection, unless there as indeed a virus for ulcers as assumed by some dentist.

What I need answering is if recurring ulcers will cause persistent node swelling.
generally no. Seeing an oral surgeon or MD is advised.
Thanks for your reply.  I know for a fact that ulcers can cause lymph node swelling.  As they hurt at the same time as I get ulcers, and also as many other people get lymphs with ulcers.  It is also generally widely reported online that ulcers, especially recurrent/ severe, can cause lymph node enlargement.  Are you saying that this is not the case??  Then how could I possibly be getting nodes along with the ulcers, isn't that too coincidental??
I do'nt recall pateints ever reported lymph node swelling associated with recurrent aphthous ulcer, unless bacterial infection is present.
Okay, well I have now booked a dental and medical appointment, and will get the nodes checked out.  I am pretty sure that it will be nothing, and is either connected to the ulcers or to some other dental infection.  But I will get it checked just to be sure.

Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated.
Lymph nodes are the body's infection filtration system.  They filter out bacteria and viruses.  If yours are swollen, then they are doing what they are supposed to do and that's taking care of some bacteria or viral infection in your mouth, i.e the ulcers.
I'm glad you have medical appts to have it checked.  Recurrent mouth ulcers are not normal and neither are swollen lymph nodes.
Having your doctor check your immune system to find out why you get recurring ulcers may also be a good idea.