Dental Health Community
My bottom front gums hurt??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

My bottom front gums hurt??

Two nights ago, my bottom front gum's started hurting. They only really hurt when i talk or move them around. Last week i started brushing better because i got only my top braces done and I wanted my teeth to stay healthy. So being said that, I switched to a spin brush approximately 3 or 4 nights ago. The problem is the electric toothbrush was only 5 dollars and pretty rough. I'm thinking this could be a reason what do you think? Another thing is my gum's are red though. I don't know if it's gingivitis because when i brush i don't bleed, but could this also be a reason why? If none of these apply what could it be? I am 13 years old if that helps.
Do your gums actually hurt, or are they sore?  Applying too much pressure with any type of toothbrush can irritate your gums.  The cheap spin brushes are harsh, stick with medium to soft bristles, and don't scrub your teeth, just brush them gently.  You don't have gingivitis or your gums would bleed.  I just think you've been too aggressive in your brushing.  Hope this helps.
Oh I'm sorry mamo i didn't make it so clear, they are just sore. Although they are still sore today, and it's a bother because it's hard to talk and eat sometimes. But what i find strange is it goes away for a little when i massage it but it comes back in 10 minutes.
Try a new "soft" toothbrush, and don't massage your gums, this may be irritating them more.  Sometimes whitening toothpastes can make your gums sore, and also the "at home" whitening strips.  Also, steer clear of mouthwashes that contain alcohol.  Definitely stop using that spin brush.  I've always used the Sonicare, it's expensive but does a great job.  I tried the cheap spin brush (the Crest one) a few weeks ago because I needed to replace the brush on my Sonicare and wanted to save some money.  I thought it was going to tear my gums apart, and I wasn't even applying much pressure.  I returned it.  For the next day or two try to avoid your gums when using your toothbrush, it won't cause any harm.  You can also add a little salt to some warm water and rinse your mouth, this will help your gums and get rid of any food you may have missed.  You really want this irritation to go away, because while theye're irritated, they may have some swelling, and food can get trapped in between your swollen gums and this would be the beginning of gingivitis.  Let me know how you are doing!
Hey! thanks for the advice, It's probably still hurting because I've been doing the complete opposite of what you told me! I thought that brushing my gum's would help it but ill try to avoid it now and see how i progress. Thanks a lot! And also, do you know how to get rid of red gum's? I've had red gum's since i was like 8.
Have your parents addressed this with your doctor or dentist?  If they are shiny red it could be gum disease that doesn't bleed while brushing.  Your gums should be a coral pink.  Talk to your parents, they may have addressed this when you were younger and found it was nothing, and therefore no reason to mention it to you.  But I would think since you had braces, your orthodontist would have noticed them.  But talk to your parents about it.
Thanks, but what would my dentist do to me? I really want to avoid surgery as it costs a lot and especially in this economy my parents cant really afford it. My dad just got laid off so we basically have no insurance either.
Probably anti-biotics.  But you may not even have a problem, and with your dad being laid off, maybe they could call your dentist and ask about your problem.  How long have your braces been off?
Oh no, i meant that i just got my braces. But only the top ones about a week ago. it seems like my gum's are getting worst too =/. And i don't know if its from the gum's but it seems like the inside of my bottom lip is getting sore too. Do you know how long this will stay sore?
Since you just got your braces, you need to let your mom know of your discomfort.  She can call your dentist and see if it's related to getting the braces put on.  She needs to know that you are having a problem, so she can do something about it before it gets worse.  The sooner you catch something, the easier and cheaper it is to fix it.
Ok thanks, and I was wondering if brushing or eating stuff can make your gum's red. My gum's are pink when I just wake up but when i brush, they are more reddish and get more red throughout the day when i eat.
My  bottom gums  hurt, just all if a sudden they hurt, then they itch at the same time whats wrong?
They don't bleed even when I brush my teeth.
hey...can you help me?
my gums have recently started to hurt...i've tried using a soft brush, but every kind of brush leads to more pain. help me!
Don't brush in that hurting area. That tends to cause more problems. Start brushing there in a few days once your gums are not so tense. also don't forget to use mouthwash.