NUMB CHIN AND LOWER LIP
HAD LOWER LEFT WISDOM TOOTH OUT TUESDAY AND NOW IT IS SEVEN DAYS LATER AND STILL HAVE LEFT LOWER LIP AND LEFT SIDE OF CHIN NUMBNESS AND FRONT LOWER TEETH AND GUM ON INSIDE ALSO..GOING BACK TO ORAL SURGEON ON THURSDAY TO SEE WHAT HE SAYS..ALSO ALTHOUGH THERE IS THE NUMBNESS I HAVE PERIODIC ITCHING FEELING AND CRAWLEY FEELINGS IN MY CHIN AND LIP, DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE INFERIOR ALVELOAR NERVE DAMAGE..WILL IT GET BETTER  IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TAKE TO HELP THIS SITUATION..THANKS FOR THE HELP
Seeing a neurologist is advised.
I know exactly what you're going through.   When I had my wisdom teeth taken out 15 years ago I remember the annoying numbness and that itchy, crawly feeling in the chin and lip!   However the numbness does go away........I think mine took a few weeks before everything returned to normal.    But it did return to normal.   And I was told back then that the feelings you're having are quite normal and it's the nerves recovering from the minor surgery that's taken place in your mouth.   My bottom lip also had a burning sensation for a few weeks afterwards but it does go away.   I was so sure back then that the surgeon must have severed nerves and ruined me for life but this of course was not the case and I'm sure it will be same for you.

Hope this helps.  I know it's easy to say but give it time and be patient.
Thank you for your  words of comfort..I am so glad to hear your numbness wasnt permanent.  I am so worried that mine won't come back, but I am a worry wart...!  I go to the Surgeon tomorrow to see what he has to say about all of it..that should be interesting.   I will post back and let everyone know what he says...I hope I don't freeze and just let him run over me..without getting information I need.  Thanks again for words.
Well went to OS today and he said that my nerve was located exceptionally high and that my nerve was bruised or hurt because of that..he said that it might take 6 months to 1 yr. to heal and he didnt know how much healing there would be hard to say..but he felt good that it would just take time..he said I had a 2% chance it wouldnt heal..and that he would need me to come in every 6 wks to check my progress..that was it oh except he said I would get use to it.. and that I should take advil for the pain..he was just matter of fact and not to apologetic..I then called my regular dentist and went over report with him and he just said the same thing , that i t was just bad luck and not usual thing that happens.. said it was not often and he was very sorry it happened.  But time would hopefully heal me...so I guess I am in for a long wait or a wait who knows how long..he did say  I could go ahead with the two root canals I need so I guess when I get my nerve up I will do that, but that will take awhile for my nerves to get over this and trust another dentist.. my dentist said root canals are not near as envasive as wisdom teeth surgery so I hope he is right...thanks again to the responses...and hope that everyone out there gets 100% and me too...
I am absolutely sure that you will be fine in a few weeks.   I know exactly what you're going through.   What you described in your original letter is the same as what I felt with the itchy crawly feeling.    You feel like it's driving you crazy because you can't feel that area to be able to fix it because of the numbness.  Remember though that you've had minor surgery on a part of your body where nerves have been upset, and like every surgery, you have to let the body heal itself.    All of a sudden you will wake up and realize that you have a tiny little bit more sensation than you did the day before, and then the next week it will feel like a tiny bit more has come back, and so on and so on.   It takes time but the body is a very complex machine.   Remember.....the itchy crawly feeling is a good sign!   I'll be very interested to hear your progress.
Can you tell me how long it was until you regained your feeling completely?  I sure appeciate your post, it made me feel better, really..a person needs all the positive result stories they can read..  So it made me feel a lot better..it has been twelve days with no change, but I think the worst of it is my teeth in front feel like they are being squeezed together all the time and that drives me crazy..but hopefully like you say I will wake up one day and it will be better...Thanks again for the post..
Hi there......if I remember correctly it took up to 6 weeks for me.    After the first month of complete numbness I had people telling me that the surgeon must have severed nerves which scared me to death, so I contacted him and was told to be patient and it would come right.   And it sure did.   All of a sudden the nerves start to get over the bruising and shock they've had and little by little the feeling begins to return.   I know what you're going through though.....it's very scary when you don't know why things aren't returning to normal after the operation.   I know it's no consolation but 12 days is still very early days yet.   From what I've experienced, teeth take their own sweet time in deciding when to come right.   Please keep me updated as I'll be waiting for the day I receive a post from you saying that the feeling is slowly returning :-)
I surely will keep you posted..I hope it wont be long..I called several neurologists ofc today to make appt and they didnt seem to think it was necessary or that they could help me, they all just said time was the healer and if I needed further help to go back to the surgeon that did the surgery and ofcourse I have already done that and he said time is the answer..so thats where I am now.  So I will keep up the postings..Thanks for your posting.
Remember this is a very normal, common thing after wisdom tooth extraction, that's why they said it wasn't necessary to see you.   Just out of interest, you didn't mention in your very first post if this wisdom tooth was impacted or not.  Was it?
WELL TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH IT WAS SHOWING THRU ABOUT 1/2 WAY AND PART OF MY GUM HAD TORN AND WAS HANGING THERE AND I WAS CHEWING FOOD AND IT WAS GETTING IN THE WAY AND WAS INFECTED AT THE LAST.  SO I DONT GUESS IT WAS TRUELY IMPACTED.  I AM NOT SURE HE NEVER REALLY SAID WHAT THEY CALLED IT.  I AM HANGING IN AND WILL KEEP EVERYONE UP ON MY PROGRESS.. THANKYOU
Hi, how are you doing?    Been over a week since your last post and I was just wondering how you're feeling.
My nurse sister said that my numbness in my chin and lower lip could be permanent, but luckily after reading these posts I realize it could take longer than I anticipated. I had three wisdom teeth removed almost a week ago. My lower left was also removed like numb chin. I have just began to try to move to noodles, and soft foods. It has been yogurt, pudding, jello, and ice cream for almost a week. Good gosh I never thought getting your wisdom teeth out could be so painful and uncomfortable.  
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is possible you will never gain feeling.   I had a "average"  removal of my wisdom teeth (impacted).. I stayed awake through the procedure( not a great idea) Next month it will be a year since I have have had any feeling in the right side of my tongue, and severe nerve damage over my entire bottom gums and my right upper face... nerves are weird...My days are a constant battle of pain and burning sensations...  Nights are harder because i usaully eat my tongue... Seriously... I have no idea that I am doing it, and it doens"t hurt... but I see blood in the am and it is a weird sensation.  If this is happening to you, please contact me... it is a very difficult thing to deal with.. and I would love to talk to someone who understands me...
________________________________________
Dental Plans

[url=http://www.goldenrule.com/health/dental.shtml]Dental Plans[/url]
hey sounds like your feeling the effects of paresthesia.... teeth on the bottom(mandibular) are VERY close to your nerves and when pulled, can get damaged from the extraction, and the top (maxillary) are very close to the sinus... so there are things that could happen all over the mouth....you could get the feeling back today, tomorrow or never but like he said that unusual for it to never come back..... the tingling feeling that your feel could be a good sign of your nerves getting better..... tingling usually means the feeling is coming back.

th dentist should have atleast apologized for the problem and prescribed you some pain meds.....

lets us know how your doing....

Kristyn ...dental assistant
Are you feeling any better?
Hey there i just got my wisdoms pulled 5days ago and my lower chin from middle to the left is numb and my lbottom lip as well. im very depressed over this. i will never be able to feel a great kiss again. i do have tingling.  and yesterday that crawley feeling. but when i touch it with something sharp no feeling. which scares me to death. it would be nice to hear some advice or pull through stories. or straight up stories of it not getting better. please help. _Butler
Any changes with numbness? This post was made in June and I was wondering if anyone had a positive update? My right side of my tongue is numb- I am having a burning sensation and I do have a tiny bit of feeling on it. I am scared too that the feeling won't come back. I wouldn't have gotten the wisdom teeth out if I knew this would be permanent.
Hi, I am experiencing numbness as well but the strange thing isI have not had my left wisdom tooth remove yet. My dentist said this is strange since the numbness usually happens after extraction.  This is scarrry for me, is there anyone who had my symtom and healed normally after extraction?
has anyone got any updates on their numbness? i got my 2 lower wisdoms out 5 days ago, i'm 37 and my surgeon mentioned i may get a tingling lip as a "side effect" just before he removed them but nothing else. Now I've got a numb chin and lip with this awful burning sensation. My bottom front teeth feel weird, like they are too close together and they hurt - even when brushing lightly. I am very depressed over this too, the burning tingling is worse at night, I haven't slept properly since it started.  Went back to my surgeon yesterday and he said he has never heard of the numbness going to the chin but that because I can feel slight pain when he did a pricking test this is just the nerves healing and I should be ok in a few weeks.  After researching online I am not so sure, he hasnt filled me with any confidence, I do keep getting that horrid crawley feeling over my chin so I keep positive that the feeling will return soon.  My thoughts go out to anyone else suffering this, it is quite distressing and scary.
Hi all,

I'm seeing everyone has experience numbness and nerve problems after root canals, anyone here after just a filling??  Last week I went in for a filling on my back two teeth.  I get gassed every time I go to the dentist because I'm absolutely terrified!!  Unfortunately, the injection literally "shocked" the daylights out of me!!!  It felt like I was being electrocuted...like I was struck by lightening!!  It was the worse pain I've ever experienced ever!!  I've had root canals and I've had one of my wisdom teeth removed, but this was absolute hell!!  Anyway, since then...my lower lip and chin are numb.  I get that tingly, itchy, crawling feeling much like what was mentioned and it's just extremely uncomfortable to touch, to kiss my little babies, wash my face, eat etc...
The dentist said this happened to "one" of her patients once before and that it should be okay in two or three days.  I'm at seven now, and still there's no difference.  So, I was just wondering...has everyone recovered?  Did anyone get the same feeling/pain during their injections??  Should I be worried?  Is this permanent??  It's horrible to think about, but after reading a lot of the postings here...it gives me a little peace of mind, but not much!  :(  
Please help!

Maria
Hey trini, after experiencing pain on my lower right side I was told I need a root canal.  When I arrived at the endodontics ofc he said my #29 tooth had crack but stay at the gum line.  I had also began to feel numbness, tingling and a cold sensation hours prior to the procedure.  His office just called me back and prescribed an antibiotic I will see if this works.  Will keep you posted.  I hope you are all feeling better soon.
Need advice, I'm 57 + back in Oct. 2010 I had my 2 lower wisdom teeth removed. The oral surgeon told me due to my age there was a chance I'd have numbness, but it might not be permanent. The left side of my chin, lip + teeth became numb, I've had 2 follow up visits + was feeling some improvement. Now in the last 2 weeks the numbness has become more intense than at any time. Any advice would be much appreciated.
@Marlinds: same issue here.  Had a huge crater on one of my molars with decay close to the nerve.  The dentist had to go close to the nerve to properly clean and medicate in order to (hopefully) avoid a root canal.  That was on 4/14 and I also got gassed for the procedure. Bottom left lip and chin still numb - dentist said it could take about a week to go away. Crossing my fingers...
OMG ! I am experiencing the same everything that numbchin56 is experiencing. There is no difference at all. I was just amazed to see that someone besides me is so SCARY AT THE FACT that they won't regain feeling. I got all four of my impacted wisdom teeth extracted Thursday August 18 and I still have the left numb chin and lip.. It bothers me because as numbchin56 said it feels like my front teeth are being closed together and it's an irritating pain. And then it feels as if things are crawling, dripping, itchinh in my chin. It feels so weird. But I was sooo nervouse about the whole thing and I also went back to the dentist for him to tell me that it will gradually come back and it may take weeks or months -_- . I wasn't happy because this is so irritating. But I said this to say that I ant wait to HEAL and although this was two years ago and I'm in 2011.. Lol. This was very helpful and gave me much closure so no I'll leave it alone and just let time take care of the situation.. I guess I have to wait week -__-.. But Thanks to you guys stories I feel a lot better and I'm happy now to know I wasn't the only one paranoid about this... So thanks Guys for sharing your stories.. ^_^
I have been going through the same thing except that mine started over nothing. Last October I noticed a little numbness in my chin before i knew it i had the burning numbing tingly sensation on the left side of my face, from my lips to  my ear, and now I to feel as if  my teeth are being pushed together.I did have it checked out by the dentist last April and was told that everything looked fine. I have had an MRI and an MRA  and once again everything looks good. After reading all your posts I have decided that maybe it's time to see a new dentist. Good luck people, and please post with new diagnosis.
Hello, I had my 2 bottom wisdom teeth removed by a OS on 9-28-11. My chin and the inside of my mouth is still numb. I have been having trouble sleeping because I have been having an itching and tingling sensation. I got the bright idea of putting aspercreme on it and that feeling immediately stopped. I still feel numb but now I don't have feeling anymore. I hope this helps someone else!!
I am experiencing the same discomfort as everyone here. I just had mine removed on the 5th of Oct. This pain is something serious!!!! I went to the dentist today and he didnt seem to knowledgable on the subject, he acted as if i was insane or making up some symptoms. I wouldnt wish this on anyone, the pain, burning, creepy crawly feelings is nothing to make up or play with. I do know if my feeling does not come back i may be looking into a malpractice suit, i have already done some research and found similar cases. http://www.teethremoval.com/dental_malpractice.html
I will be compensated if this is something that i permanently have to live with. I am popping pills seems like every 5 seconds, I continuously use a heating pad and wake up in the middle of the night to extreme pain.....I wish i would have just left the damn teeth in...uggggghhhhh!!!!!!
I had my bottom 2 wisdom teeth out on September 24th,2011,they were impacted.I was not put to sleep and it was complete torture,I was in extreme pain.I have numbness in my chin and bottom lip,I was told nothing about this prior to them being pulled.I went back and told the surgeon about the numbness and he said it is from the nerves and you will regain your feeling back up to 6 months.How nice of him to tell me about this prior to them being pulled,they are sneaky and also give you no paper work to read on,or when they tell you to sign an electronic pad,cause you don't realize it but you are giving consent to all of the above.It is 1 month today and no difference,but the pain is gone and I am just uncomfortable and left numb.I am only 31 yrs old and this could be permanent I was told from my regular dentist,I have no sensation when I kiss my husband or children,it is very upsetting and depressing to think I could be this way for the rest of my life.
Everybody's comment and experience I take something from, From the Dentist not telling us to signing over our rights to appointments a month away in hopes of getting relief from this fear. I just got my #17 pulled Monday awake with gas. But what sticks out the most is when the dentist tells me that is why he reccomends people to go to sleep after I jumped from the pain and almost vomitted from the instrument touching the part of my throat. Good bedside manners he had. I would not go pack to him just for that alone not to mentio this experience.

As I read everyone'd experience I go from hope to depressed. With this being the Season of Thanks it hard to think of a future with a life of numbness anywhere-especially in the face area. I am fearful of never regaining the normal feeling i had before the removal of my #17, I now go back and forth worrying if i will regain feeling or if I'd find a husband to say he loves my numb lip, chin and closely touching teeth. Wow I never Imagined.

To all I hope that your numbness has return or will in due time for is that has not yet. May we all be blessed
I have just had 4 wisdom teeth removed last week, and im suffering from the same symptoms: numbness on the chin, lower lip and my two lower front teeth feels like they have been pressed together by a plier. This is a very discomforting feeling. I called the OS yesterday and they said it should go away in a few weeks to come.
What makes me mad is that they OS told me that it is very rare to get this side effect "peresthesia", but by judging by the amount of postings on this subject, this is not a rare thing at all.
Anyone who has had progress please let me know?, because Im getting frustrated by this.
I had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled on Dec 16/11, and my lower chin gums and right lower lip is numb. eating is brutal I cant feel the food stuck in between my lip and gum.
the OS told me to take Vitamin B12. and that, would help rebuild the nerves.
also he said if you can feel a tingle or any sensation at all the nerves havn't been completely severed. so i'll hold on to some hope. today i started feeling a burning sensation, seems like there are steps in the recovery hopefully its recovering.
i have been numb for 3 years and the burning and numbness are beginning to wear on me.  i really wish there was a way to fix this.  my relationship with my husband is trying b/c it hurts too much to even kiss him.  help!
it has been three years for me and i still have numbness and burning.  it is very depressing when i kiss my husband and it hurts :(  is there something someone can do to correct this problem?!
Pharmacologic intervention may improve or eliminate your symptoms, if your symptoms resulted from dental surgical procedures. Possible useful medications include, but not limited to, anticonvulsants,such as gabapentin,lyric, antidepressants, such as,amitryptyline, duolexitin, and many others. Seeing an experienced orofacial pain specialist or neurologist is advised.
Well I have involuntarily joined this club with all of you. I got all 4 impacted wisdom teeth extracted 10 days ago, and have been experiencing a numb chin, bottom lip, and gums surrounding my bottom teeth ever since. I too have the horrible sensations of "tingles" and that my face has fallen asleep and won't wake up, constant "pins and needles", and that somebody punched me in the mouth and injected me with insects. It was been absolutely horrible and terrifying. Contacting my rude dentist proved to be unhelpful so I took it upon myself to research this problem. That is where I discovered this forum, and hundreds of other people around the world that this has happened to. Although I would never wish this pain on anyone, it has been very comforting and helpful to know that I am not alone.

I do have to say to all of you that I woke up today for the first time feeling hopeful that this could actually go away someday. Apparently the fact that I am feeling any sensation is a good sign - and for everyone else this is the case also. It is extremely hard to exercise patience throughout this, especially when nobody else understands and there really isn't a whole lot that can be done except to wait. I am going to start taking vitamin B12, that promotes nerve regeneration, and am going to try meditating and keeping busy and trying to stay positive. Good luck to all of you. I am not happy that this is happening to any of us, but I am happy that I am not alone.
I also found the following website to be comforting:

http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_teeth/t7-wisdom-tooth-paresthesia.htm

I hope it helps some of you too!
It is almost 2 months after my procedure, and I am experiencing improvement!! I have regained feeling in my lip and most parts of my chin. When I brush my teeth my gums are still noticeably numb. The constant intense tingles have subsided to more of a dull feeling that that portion of my face still feels "different", with occasional sharp jobs of painful tingles and sensations that hurt. I am extremely positive and hopeful that everything that is happening are signs of improvement! I am experiencing a mirrored feeling on my chin whenever I trace my bottom lip, and vice versa...it is super bazaar and crazy; as if my nerves are reconnecting wrong or are still inflamed and are touching other nerves. I noticed it a couple weeks ago and it still happens regularly.

I can now eat meals without noticing my ailment, and have conversations without feeling self-conscious that my face is distorted and swollen! I am SO happy! I have been taking liquid vitamin B12 daily, and occasionally an anti-inflammatory which helps when the sensations are extra tingly. I wish you all the best of luck and hope that you're experiencing these improvements as well. And if you're not...there is hope that you will!
Hi, i have the exact same symptoms as you except half my tongue is also halfway numb..numb bottom lip, teeth, gums esp in front..ugh i sooo hope this goes away. its been 2 weeks for me and mine hasnt progressed that i can tell. im not tingling that i know of in the lips. it more feels like a burning sensation when i touch it. my chin is extremely numb..the numbest part is right under my bottom lip on my chin in one patch. this ***** so bad. im taking vitamin b6 pills crushed up and also cant eat real solid foodds bc of the tongue issue. this is seriously depressing. your improvement gives me hope! maybe i should try the vitamin b liquid too? lol im taking pills..but i dunno what the difference would be. i havent found anyone who has my symptoms around here..would be nice to talk! my email is ***@**** please email me. best of luck!
Glad to hear you are better.…
I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted 1 month ago and experiencing the numbness etc. I went for a check up to my dentist who basically said I have to wait it out 6-12 months and if after that I don't get the feeling back then I never will.
Why does it take soooooooo long? Is there anything I can do to speed up recovery??
Also I was wondering if maybe I should not be sleeping on that side or applying pressure to it? Will I be able to go for a facial or will that further bruise the nerves?
Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks!
You know the feeling when ur numb chin is itchy but you can't scratch it??
Well you can scratch it but can't feel… so strange and hard to explain to ppl who can't.
Embarrassing to eat out also because I'm still on soft foods so I end up dropping soup, ice cream down my face but can't feel it's there. I am constantly wiping my mouth with a napkin
Hi, I am a 60 year old male and on Feb 7th 2012 I had a cyst removed from my lower jaw, and an impacted wisdom tooth removed at the same time. I was told by the surgeon that I may experience some numbness following the surgery and that there was a small chance it would be permanent. What he didn't bother to mention was all the horrible symptomns mentioned on this forum. However, in the past several weeks I have regained some feeling in my lip and chin which has gradually improved over time, but with the improved feeling I have experienced increased tingling and slight pain (hope this is normal). Reading the posts on this forum has given me hope that all the feeling will return given time.

Keep the faith.  
thank you so much everyone:)
Hi.
Was wondering how you are doing with the numbness in your chin/lip? I'm very interested in how your recovery has come along since I have had the same thing happen to me.

Had 4 wisdom teeth removed and am on day 3 now. No pain but I kinda wish there was instead of this numbness!! (no joke)

Any update would be ever so helpful! What did your dentist/surgeon say about it?
Please help!!! Any positive stories would help out greatly!

I'm a 32 year old male. Had 4 wisdom teeth removed on 8/3/2012 + an impacted/infected molar on bottom right.

Day 1 post op (day of surgery): slept mostly after surgery (8am)  but woke up later in the afternoon  and noticed the left side of chin/lip from corner of mouth to center of chin/lip was numb. This was different than the other side that was no longer feeling the anesthesia.

Day 2: No pain. The left side of chin and lip from the corner to the center of the jaw is STILL numb. My extraction sites are a bit sore but no real pain to speak of. JUST THE NUMBNESS and now my teeth feel like they are being squeezed together but only on the left bottom toward the front.

Day 3: Still no real pain but the numbness is getting me very very worried :( and the squeezed teeth feeling is still there. I have been noticing an itch every now and then but cant feel anything when I try to scratch it. Also, a tingle or crawling sensation every so often too. Is this a good or bad sign??

I've read almost every post on here and some else where and am quite worried! Alarmed, panicked, scared, worried is more like it.

I will be posting on here with updates so others can gain from this, too. Any stories would be welcome!! ...especially the positive ones. HAS ANYONE HAD COMPLETE RECOVERY???

Pstan,

How are you doing now? Has your symptoms gotten any better? Would love to hear back from you as I'm sure all on this forum would.

DivineMagic

How are you doing now? Have you gotten any better?
I had a tooth removed March 20th. I was left with a numb chin and lip and depression on top of that. I have been to the oral surgeon several times telling him of this miserable ordeal and he says there is nothing he can do. He says the wait could be 6-12 months, well next month will be month number 6. I have some sensation in my chin, but my lip on the left side is still numb. This has been the worst ordeal ever and this is not my first surgery. I have never heard of anyone having this until I got on this forum. I have the occasional itching and burning but thats it. I have taken vitamin B12, probably went through about 3 bottles already and nothing. I just do alot of praying these days!!!! Everyone going through this, I feel your pain!!!!!
Did you ever notice any improvement or has it been the same since the beginning?
I go my tooth extracted a week ago an let me feel you it has been one thing after another. My left part of my bottom lip and my chin are numb, an my teeth on thy side feel like something is crushing them down and together. My dentist said the pain in my teeth were my fault... I am very depressed about this because it is constant pain and I just want or to stop. I was only prescribed 6 pain pills and I have one left that I want to save in case it gets worst... I don't know what to do. I am so glad I foun people with the same problem because no one else understands this pain.
Sorry I have not been on here in awhile. There has been some feeling coming back in my chin. My lip still feels numb. It actually hurts and it drives me crazy. I have been told there is nothing they can do. I am afraid to go have any dental work done now. I have never experienced anything like this and I hope I never do again!
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out Dec 14th, 2012. One was impacted, rest were cut out. At this point, I'm not worried about the pain, I am frightened because I can't seem to feel half my bottom lip and half my chin STILL. I have read many stories on this, anyone have an update?! I have an appointment next Thursday.
its been seven days now and my lip and chin are still numb.i had the start of a root canal and a bad infection
.the infection is gone but the numbness isnt i have heard all the horror stories but does anybody have good news like hey i have feeling again!please give me somthing to make me not feel so nervous about this problem.thanks     numbnotfun
I also have the same symptoms now as I pulled my wisdom teeth
This is due to nerve damage
Take slot of vitamin b
As the vitamin enrich the body nerves
Also anti biotics will help along with the vitamin
The doc said it needs 2 to 3 weeks to recover
This is the first week
Are u still feeling the numbness?
Yes I'm still numb after 33 days. It's very hard to get used to this, I bite my lip a lot and i talk funny. Thank you for the info on vitamin b I hope that it improves the healing. I heard of people being numb for months I guess I will be one of those people.
I had an implant just before Christmas which left me with a numb chin, numb lip and teeth that felt 'wooden' - all on the left hand side of my mouth. My dentist removed the implant within one week but I insisted on going to Kings College Hospital for a referral to a nerve damage specialist.  I'm lucky that the damage was only mild and I don't have pain, only a slight burning sensation on the lower lip. I know from my research that many people have severe pain and feel depressed.  I woud urge other people to do the same and get a nerve damage specialist to assess your situation.My attitude has been positive about it improving and I am glad to say there are signs that it is improving.
I am going to a nerve doctor next week to find out how much damage was done. I'm hoping all to be well. There are times when the lip burns and I'm using a lot of Chapstick.thanks for the positive feedback
ive read and now can understand what many people are going thru. ive got the same thing with the left side numbness and the teeth pushing together thing. also the crawly itchy feeling that cant be scratched. its been about a month for me after my dental procedure.  I think the fact that we can feel the tingling and burning is a good thing. its kinda like having ur leg going to sleep and that feeling it gets right before u get feeling in it again. and yes. it does take up to a year for it to finally be normal. that is if ur one of the lucky ones that don't have permanent numbness. other than that if after a year it doesn't go away it probably wont. and my dentist sed for me just to get used to it. that it will just be a part of my life forever. its depressing but what can u do, right. live with it, I guess. its what ive learned to do. at least it only feels abnormal and not looks abnormal. outwardly, no once can tell anything is wrong so I guess I can be happy about that.
It's been 44 days now and I'm getting a little feeling back but it's still not right. I had to cancel my oral surgeon appointment last week and I'm concerned about getting more dental work done on this tooth because of the numbness. I have a root canal that's not finished, how long do I have to wait? Certainly I wouldn't want my dentist to go back into this tooth after what I went through! If I have this numb feeling for a year that would be hard to deal with, I just hope and pray this will get better. Vitamin B is suppose to be very good at healing nerve damage. I wish everyone well and keep a positive outlook!
here is what ive been told. ive got the same issue after having 2 back teeth removed and I was informed later that this IS permanent. and its been a month so, im beginning to believe it wont go away. its miserable, as you all know. the crawly feeling, the teeth crushing together thing, the skin feeling thick, ect. I guess I can be glad I don't LOOK like a freak, I just FEEL like one. no one would know my chin and lips were numb unless I told them. im able to master eating and talking normally. chances are, its permanent and no vitamin, or heating pad, or anything will help it. its NERVE damage. nerves are what makes people basically live. when a nerve is damaged, its damaged. at some point people get used to it. I already am.
hi numbnofun...hope ur doing better. well according to the dentist, and some of the sites ive read, this numbness thing does take while to go away, if at all. sometimes it drives me nuts, other times if im not really paying attention I don't notice it much. nerves are a crazy thing. I read where some one who had this problem got some one to punch him in the mouth just so he could get his lip stitched and possibly given something that would help, and of course it didn't. but its probably true that 85% of people who had this issue NEVER recover while the 15% recover in 6 months to a year. I guess I can just be happy that I don't LOOK like a freak, I just FEEL like one. :/
I too felt some sort of relief that only I knew that I had a numb chin and lips. The tingling does seem to indicate that the nerve is tryng to knit together again as I have definitely felt an improvement over the past few days so feel fairly optimistic that it will correct itself almost entirely. I have tried gently massaging my chin when I shower and although it may not be much help it feels as if I am doing something to improve things! I do feel it is better to have a positive attitudte and get on with life.  I know from reading some of these comments, that there are worse cases than my own and I wish everyone a full and speedy recovery. There really are worse things!

oh yes, there really are worse things. besides this numbing issue, I don't have any other medical problems. im accepting the fact that I will probably be dealing with this for a long time. I have managed to eat and speak normally.
I have been feeling a lot better thanks for asking. The numbness is going away considerably except for the slight tingle feeling when I put my finger to my lower lip. The two teeth feel a bit strange but I do notice improvement. It was very difficult to talk and eat but I got used to it because that's all we can do right? I would again just encourage everyone to keep a positive outlook! When I first got on this site I wanted to hear from someone, anyone if there progress was getting better because I was very afraid of staying like this, oh how comforting when I heard sources of hope. As time went by I got more feeling back in my chin and eventually my lower lip, boy was I relieved. There is still a long road for me, I still have two root canals to deal with on that side of my mouth, wish me luck I'm going to be numb again. I hope you get your feeling back soon it just might take some time. Thanks again for the feedback and I will keep you posted on what the oral surgeon might have to say.
I think I can honestly say that after 12 weeks, I have entirely recovered my sense of feeling.  I only say this to encourage others that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I can also say that I was left with a huge gap in my teeth after the removal of the implant (to improve the nerve damage) but that after a lot of consideration and consultation with my dentist, I have since had another implant without any bad effects.  Even though my chin felt numb again from the injection, it returned to normal this time! I had total confidence in my dentist, who acted with the utmost care at all times. I understand that a lot of people have had trouble after implants and I only wish that there was more information about what can go wrong in some cases.. If your dentist is aware of what has happened and is prepared to give you root canal treatment, I would say go ahead and don't look back. Keep smiling folks - cos that is something that hasn't been affected by my numb chin.
I am glad to hear that the numbness will go away after the next visit to my dentist. This whole ordeal has been some experience. There should be some more information on this topic to help others   Thanks for the support.
well, how is everyone doing?  its been about 6 weeks for me and for the past 3 days im noticing a little bit of improvement. not a whole lot though. I can feel heat, cold, pain and burning. I haven't had that teeth crushing together thing in about 2 days and my chin stings a little more probably because im getting feeling back in it. im sure its gonna be a few more weeks before I get complete relief. the fact that I can feel pain is a good sign. im actually happy my mouth is hurting right now. I hope all of you get better soon and keep up informed on ur progress. it is pretty rough and cases can be different, but in this case, pain is what we want.
how is everyone doing these days. im feeling less numb and more pain. and pain is a good thing. pain means no nerve damage. I haven't had that tickle and itchy feeling in about 3 days and the teeth pushing together thing in about 4 days. my lip hurts like its chapped and burning, but im happy about that. i know i still have at least 2 or 3 more weeks, possibly more before im 100% healed. its just a matter of waiting and being patient. hope you all have a speedy recovery.
Glad to hear your getting some feeling back so that is good news but the pain is uncomfortable. The cold weather always took a toll out on me.So I'm heading to the dentist today so they can complete the finish of this root canal. I'm not so nervous anymore. I will keep Everyone up to date.
hi again...well, things are getting slightly better. I have some feeling in my chin and I can feel intense cold and heat. the itchy and tingly feeling are few and far between now. my lip feels like its chapped and burning a little. this is a good thing though, as pain means no nerve damage. I definitely can tell a difference between today and when this first started about 7 weeks ago. I think I still have a few weeks before im over this completely, but the worst is over. the teeth being squeezed together thing is pretty much gone. I haven't had that feeling for several days now. just taking this one day at a time. I hope you all are doing better and would love to hear how you all have been progressing.
Its been three months for me today.  Impacted wisdom tooth removed Dec 7, 2012.. The dreaded numb chin and lower lip/jaw.  I guess I don't have any thing to explain or any questions to ask as I see they have all been addressed. Thanks for all who shared this experience.  I'm just hoping mine isn't that less than 2% rare permanent situation as this is not something I can get used to.......
hi wayne. hope ur doing better. well its been about 2 months since I first experienced this terrible ordeal and I can now say that today has been better than the previous and the day before that. its true that this can take a while to heal 100% but in some cases it doesn't heal at all. I don't have any more numbness just a lot of a stinging and chapped feeling on my lip. my chin is almost back to normal and I think im pretty much done with the teeth crushing feeling. my lips are dry and I use a lot of carmex. im sure I still have a couple of weeks or so before im back to normal, but it can definitely feel a HUGE difference in between today and back in mid January when this first started happening. remember, if it starts to hurt, that's GOOD! pain means ur nerves are repairing. that's how we know we're in pain, through our nerves. please let us know how ur doing. I know this ***** but with time, it gets better.
Had wisdom teeth removed over 4 yrs ago. Gums, lip and chin still numb. VERY IRRITATING!!!!
hi everyone...just wanted to fill you in on my progress. I have no more numbness, just some burning and chappedness. im shocked that ur still numb after 4 years!! that's very unusual, but I have heard in some rare cases, this never goes away. I think I still have at least a month or so before im 100% completely healed. I was told that the numbness lasts for about a couple months, then the tingling for another couple of months, then the pain for a couple of months, then the couple of months it takes to heal. im no where near out of the woods yet, but it is getting better. its just a matter of time. I hope all of you get well soon and please keep us informed. :)
Hello everyone, I would have to say I'm doing a lot better now than I did before. I went to the dentist for the next step of my root canal and he never used any Novocain but when he was cleaning out the root I was concerned that the nerve would be affected. All went well and I was relieved. I'm feeling the same effects as you with chapping and sensitivity but its so much better than before. Really sorry to hear about (Doinme) 4years is a long time. I wonder if you we're taking vitamin c. I hope the feeling comes back for you! So I'm still not out of the woods yet cause I'm going back the end of the month for a post and crown. I'm always on edge after the nerve damage. Hope everyone's feeling better. Good luck.
Hi there.  I"feel your pain" in a manner of speaking.  My surgery was feb 11 of this year and still on sensation in left chin,  lleft lower lip, as well as gums and teeth..  I am concerned that it will be permanant, but am trying to keep positive.  I get some burning in the lip and sharp tingles in the chin.  I also get an itch in my chin that of course I cannot scratch.  I am getting usedto it, but of course wish I didn't have it.  In the great scheme of things, I feel I am lucky that at my age, this is the only true ailment  that I have [other than a long standing  back and shoulder injury).  I hope that it allretuns to normal, but I guess we all have to wait it out.
hi everyone. hope ur all doing ok. my numbness is gone, but I still have burning feeling and pain. but since I know that's a good sign, im ok with that. every day it seems like the pain is a little bit less and less. the worst part about all of this was the itchy thing which ive noticed is going away too. I know I can feel heat because when I drink hot co co, I can feel the heat from the cup and when I drink ice water, I can feel the cold. my chin is back to normal. I do not ever plan on having any more dental work done---ever. I would rather suffer from the worst toothache in my life than deal with this mess again, and that's no lie. LOL!! anyway, hope all of you are getting better and as always please share ur progress with us.
Thanks for all the info out here about lip and chin numbness. I just had some dental work done two days ago and my lower right lip and chin still feel like they are numb and itchy and tingling. I have been going crazy all weekend trying to scratch at it and see if I can get some more feeling in it. At least now I know after reading so many posts, it may not be normal but its not uncommon.I really hope I get some feeling back soon, I keep thinking I am drooling.
hi everyone. well its been about ten weeks for me and im doing much much better. the only thing I have issues with now are the my lower left lip feels like its chapped and burning.  im sure in the next few weeks i'll be 100% better. I have pain and feeling now. I would say im about 70% healed at this point. I hope all of you are doing better these days. keep us informed and be positive. :)
Thanks for posting your progress Spunkerz. I am 29 years old. I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a little over 2 weeks ago. Bottom teeth were impacted. I've had numbness in my mouth, gums, chin, and lower lip (right side) since the surgery, and like all of you, it has been freaking me out. I am calm on the outside, but my family and friends have no idea about the worries I battle every day in my mind.

I had the tingling feeling only for about a week, and now it's gone, and I'm worried that that is a bad thing. Supposedly, the tingling feelings mean that your nerves are regenerating. Today I feel nothing but complete numbness, and I'm worried. I totally regret getting my wisdom teeth removed. They were impacted but they weren't bothering me. It was "prophylactic."

This was the most current forum I could find online, and that's why I'm posting here. We'll see how things go. Trying hard to be patient. Trying hard not to let the worry affect my work and family life. Wish you all nothing but the best.
hii
I had my one wisdom teeth taken away exactly  one month ago but still i have the numbness on my rightside of lower lip, chin and lower front tooth and gum.i exactly feel the same you had gone through after the operation. I am scared to death that this numbness, itchy, crawly feelings into my chin/lip and squeezy feelings into my front teeth is not going away ever. it would be a great help if you please response me and tell me how are you now.how long did it take to recover fully?
thank you
Hi everyone,

I finally feel comfortable posting here now, 5 1/2 weeks since getting my wisdom teeth removed. I had been reading this website throughout my recovery and it sometimes made me feel extremely uneasy when reading any negative stories. However, I do want to explain what happened to me and report that things are definitely on the mend and getting better!!! On February 21st I went in to have all 4 wisdom teeth removed...at the age of 30. I'm still extremely mad that I was never pushed to do it when I was a teen. Anyway, because one of my bottom ones hasn't erupted yet, and the other bottom one was infected (half under gum), my doctor removed the infected one first, only to decide to not take a chance with the other as he knew my nerve was extremely close to both teeth, thank god for that otherwise I probably would have been numb on both sides. To make a long story short, I was left with the very very dreaded numb bottom half lip, chin, teeth and gums. Everything else came back after a few hours, but I knew by that evening I was in trouble. The next day I started feeling the tingles and along with that, constant throbbing, sparks, spiders crawling where you can't scratch, teeth throbbing where they feel so tight you wanna die, burning lip, etc. etc. I had been in agony with pain from the nerve regeneration for days and days and it never let up...but I knew these feelings were good because that means the nerve wasn't severed and everything would eventually heal. At the month mark is where I started noticing the biggest turning point. My lip had been healing at a faster rate than the other areas but it now seems like everything is on it's way to getting back to normal. When I press my lips together, I feel the bottom part almost like before and one little area there can feel a tiny bit of temperature. My chin and teeth have yet to fully feel temperature yet but I was told that's the last feeling to come back. The throbbing has subsided and I'm no longer in pain thank god. The teeth are still tight but some have loosened up and I can feel the floss now between those teeth way better than weeks ago. Basically I think I probably have another month or two before I am 100% better but I am definitely with no question better than earlier this month. It seems like everyday you may not notice major  differences, but with each week there is significant improvement. This has most definitely been the worst experience I have ever dealt with (which I probably should be thankful for lol) and you couldn't pay me enough money to go and get that last tooth removed now lol. However, I do want others in this situation to know that things do get better and improve. I am very impatient and unfortunately this is a slow process, but try not to get too stressed out like I have been. My doctor told me that in 24 years of practice, this has happened to a number of his patients, as sometimes it's just not possible to remove the tooth without bumping the nerve. Good thing is that with all those patients, he was happy to report that not ONE of them had permanent numbness. Feelings always came back whether it took 2 months or 6 months. I will report back soon but I have a feeling things should be okay now :)
Hello, it must be very scary not knowing if the numbness will go away or not. I needed to hear from someone on this site if there was a positive outlook on my situation. I'm glad I found this forum for it was very helpful and assuring! I'm feeling so much better now with no numbness. I've been to the dentist a couple of times now to finish the work on my bottom crown.i was scared I must say when I received Novocain but its all good. When you hear a lot of good reports you feel relieved and that there's hope. Everyone should have a positive attitude. Good luck to you hope to hear some great progress.
well, im back..again..with word on my progress. now, im probably bout 80% back to normal. im healing, that's for sure but its a long process. I have only a small amount of a chapped feeling on my lower lip. the worst of the worse is over. im so happy to see that you all are getting better. I know its been rough and trying and certainly very annoying. there has been such a HUGE improvement with my issues since this crap started back in mid January. at first I thought I was doomed to be like this forever. especially after the second week and nothing seemed to change. however, after about the 4th week, the numbness slowly went away as did the teeth pushing thing. I have no more of the itching thing and the "thick" feeling in my lip is 80% gone. I can feel heat and cold and most importantly, pain. I  have never been so happy to be in pain. I think that in about another 2 to 4 weeks, i'll be back to normal. I could just slap my freaking dentist for lying to me and not informing me of any of this. and plus he had the nerve to say I would be like this forever and for me to be happy I didn't get my arms blown off in Iraq like his brother. what an *******. anyway this DOES go away, it really does. it just takes awhile. im never getting any dental work done again, im just not. I would rather truly have a toothache from hell than to go throw this again. it has taken its toll on me, mentally and physically. the first month, I lost about 8 pounds because it was hard for me to eat. im already skinny enough and I WANT to gain weight. I have no figure and no shape. today, im very happy with my progress. im now over the 110 pound mark and I feel well and I can eat without feeling like I have food dribbling down my chin. by this time next month I hope to weigh around 120 and have a 100% healed mouth. I want to thank you all for your postings and info and im very happy to see that most of you are doing better. I will check back in occasionally to let you all know how my progress is going. take care and have a nice day.
hi there..just got finished reading your post. I don't think you have anything to worry about with the feeling only numb thing. this is normal, it really is. nerves are a strange and funny thing because they are what makes us pretty much alive. this numb chin, teeth and lip thing is enough to drive anyone up the wall with craziness but it does , in many cases, get better, it really does.  ..i went through that part where I was only numb and I told my mom I didn't think I could live like this. but here it is about 11 weeks later and im 80% normal. damaged nerves are not like a cut or a broken bone. nerves take a while to heal. I would say that based on ur situation, you should be ok by the first week of june or earlier. please keep us informed on ur progress.  I will do the same. :)
So nice to hear you are doing better and I like to know that at 11 weeks you are almost fully healed. I had said the same thing to my mother how I don't think I can live like this with the numbness, but now that I'm healing a bit, I feel better mentally and physically. It has taken such a toll on me and I too never want to have any other dental work done again and yes a toothache is better than what we have been going through. If you are about 80% normal at 11 weeks and this Thursday is 6 weeks for me, then that means I'm 5 weeks behind you. Everyone is different of course, but it does shed some light on how long this process takes...nerves heal only 1mm a day. I can't wait until we are all 100% back to normal!!!!
Well, I guess you can welcome me to this "family" too. I got all 4 wisdom teeth out on March 29th (5 days ago) with 2 being impacted and 2 being taken out because of his "judgement". Well, now I have numbness in my bottom right lip, chin, etc. Thank god I found this page because everyone thinks im going crazy and I am getting my stitches out on Thursday and honestly, I was going to give the dentist a piece of my mind (like there is anything he can do now..).
The numb chin syndrome is a rare neurological condition which origins in the absence of a dental cause and is most often associated with malignancy 1–5. Patients develop orofacial paraesthesia typically localized to the chin and lower lip.
With respect, I don't think your 'diagnosis' is either correct or helpful for the people who have written about numbness due to dental treatment of one kind or another on this website,
Are you just trying to worry the life out of some people who have genuine dental related problems?  
LOL I don't even know wtf this jake is even talking about. what does he mean by "not having A DENTAL"??? A DENTAL WHAT...? what we're all going thru has been miserable. and its because of some dental procedure gone horribly and terribly wrong. and its true that if I ever get another toothache again, im just going to suffer with it and hope that some days are better than others. what this jake person doesn't understand is that this chin and lip numbing thing with the thick lip feeling and the teeth grinding together issue really is a hrooible thing to deal with month after month. its not like a scraped knee or a broken leg which may take only 4 weeks to heal. these are nerves..and nerves do take a while to heal..a long while. in a couple of days, It will be 11 weeks since this all happened. im doing so much better and its no where nearly as bad as before but I still have a little bit of healing to do. my progress is going great and it does get better every day and every week. I wish you all well and hope you all recover really soon.
I too was extremely confused with that Jake comment. Makes no sense whatsoever. So as I had mentioned before, I will be 6 weeks tomorrow and for some reason my teeth have gotten tight again in the last day with that pushed feeling. It was better a few days ago and now it's tight again, although I am not feeling the horrible throbbing I was feeling in my teeth the first couple weeks. That I think I can safely say is no longer an issue, thank god as it was horrible!!! When you were at 6 weeks Spunkerz, where was your progress at if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!
I think Jake has simply looked up what orofacial paresthesia is on Google or something like that and discovered it is a generic term for facial numbness.  It is true that facial numbness can be attributable to other things (he mentions malignancy) but my point is that the people, including myself,  who have written about this dreadful effect after DENTAL treatment have a specific DENTAL problem!! Jake, you need to explain yourself!!  For the record, I began to feel signs of improvement after a dental implant caused nerve damage at around 6 weeks. By 12 weeks, I was almost back to normal - no chin numbness, no pain, no sense of teeth squeezed together.  At 16 week, I now have a very slight sense of numbness inside my lower lip. I have also had another implant without bad effect, I offer this as encourgement to others that 'time is a great healer'.  Hang on in there! I will keep posting but, Jake, I think your opinion is not helpful!!!
Thank you so much LSCSinger for writing something positive. Nice to start my day with hope. Today is 6 weeks and now I know why my teeth have been so tight the last 36 hours. I regained some more feeling in them so I do know in my heart that all these horrific feelings are good. I'm so happy to read that you are pretty much back to normal at 12 weeks. Even though you had a dental implant and my nerve damage was caused by wisdom tooth extraction, damage to the nerve is most likely similar and your symptoms are exactly what I've been having, so I hope I can be like you and have the same recovery. Guess I'm halfway there. Doctors did say average is 3 months so there ya go!
I had all four impacted wizzy's out in November last year (approx 6 months ago) I have had parasthesia in the right hand lower quadrant since then which includes my chin, lip and gum. Some tingling, some itchy, some weird sensations...I am confident that It will return to normal one day, as I can already feel improvements and my toungue is completely back to normal...HOWEVER in the mean time I just wanted to let you ALL know, that over the past few months I have gotten so used to it I don't even notice it anymore. I know that's probably not what a lot of you want to hear, but please just be re-assured that although it is very traumatic and stressfull now, a few months down the track you will honestly feel so much more relaxed about it (that's if you haven't already recovered by then of course which you very well may have!! :) That's all I wanted to say, chin up :) xo
Hello again :)

I wanted to update with some more good news for people reading who are hoping that they too feel better soon. I have improved quite dramatically in the past few days since I last wrote. From my teeth feeling tight again last week, they have now relaxed almost entirely and have gained back a lot of feeling. My gums have also regained a lot of feeling too and when I do a big exhale (cheeks puffed out, ya know...), it feels almost normal now. In fact I didn't realize before how abnormal it had felt for the past 6 1/2 weeks until I now feel the major difference. My lip is literally probably a couple weeks away from being 100%, YAY, and the edges of my chin have really begun to now feel so much better too. My doctor said the numbness wears off that way so it will start as a silver dollar, then to a quarter, then to a dime and then eventually all gone. So don't worry if the middle of where you numbness is is still numb. Keep track of the edges!

Things are looking very positive and it really does seem like the doctors are right when they say the average time to heal from this is 3 months. I'm a few days past the halfway mark and it seems to be right on schedule.

Don't lose hope. Things do indeed get better with every passing week it seems, I promise :)
Hello everyone,

I am so grateful for all of you sharing your stories with everyone. It is so amazing to know that there is hope for me. My experience is exactly the same as all of you.

I had all 4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on Thursday March 28th and it has been 10 days since my surgery and I am numb on half my lip/chin but I do feel the itchy, crawly, burning feeling all the time. It is so uncomfortable and painful and also my bottom teeth feel like I just got my braces tightened (which I got off in 2009) but it constantly feels like that and that is why I got my wisdom teeth out because I didn't want to wreck my straight teeth that I paid for myself ($5500) now I feel like I wasted ($1660) on my wisdom teeth surgery but I know it is worth it. I have never experienced so much pain in my life, I am a baby when it comes to pain but I can tell you that I am pretty freaken strong, it has been so frustrating for me because my bf said that he was good to go after 2 days when he got his 4 teeth out. I feel like no one knew the pain I was going through but I am happy to see people do understand. Does anyone know what medication I can take for my nerve pain??? I take Advil liquid gels but I find it only helps my teeth pain. I am going back to work tomorrow after missing a whole week and it ***** because I am still in so much pain but I can't afford not too. I have learned so much from this and when everything is back to normal I am not going to take things for granted no matter how small....this has really opened my eyes and gave me a reality check that life can be worse and if your having a bad day well that day could be 10 times worse. Thanks again to everyone who is so supportive and I will update you all on my recovery when that is. :)
Thank you for sharing your story and yes, you are most definitely not alone. At 10 days out I made myself so sick from stress and anxiety that I developed a horrible flu and cough, so already you seem like you are better than I was at that time. Which by the way is extremely early in this healing process, so try and hang in there if you can. I know the type of pain you are in as I was just there a few weeks back, but as I had written in another post, things do get better. I'd say I'm 40-50% healed now at 6 1/2 weeks, with some areas (like my chin) taking longer than other parts. However, all the feelings of tickles, pins and needles, burning, throbbing etc. is VERY good. I saw a few doctors for opinions over the last month and each one assured me that if the nerve was severed or bruised beyond repair, we'd be feeling nothing at all, like when we first get novocaine. Obviously that is not the case in our situations, thank god :D and the nerve is trying to spark back up! Everyone I know, including my bf too, had their wisdom teeth out with either no problems whatsoever, or they had what I now would consider a minor complication of having a dry socket. Something I feel so silly worrying about. I am sure it hurts tremendously, but nothing even compared to what we have been enduring. Now, in terms of meds to help pain, unfortunately, for me at least, I couldn't find anything to take the pain away. Even my doctor prescribed some prescription Ibuprofen and it maybe just took a slight edge off. I read online that nerves like the one that was damaged in our jaw, don't respond to meds like this, or even to heavier stuff like Vicodin or Percocet. What really helped me feel better was just time. Now I still feel pressure and tingles of course, but it's not painful...just super duper annoying. You will get there too in a few weeks. Stay strong!!!
Thank you for responding to me and giving me some positive encouragement, with the pain I have I can't imagine having a flu!! You are very strong! I did have a lot of stress and anxiety ( I already have some anxiety already) but with all your success stories my stress is cut in half! I still am very sad because it hurts so much and it drives me literally insane but at least I know it will go away soon enough..3 months may seem like an eternity with this but if you think about it, it sure beats a lifetime! Although the itchy burning pain is extremely annoying it would be way worse if we couldn't feel it at all because it would most likely stay that way. At first I was worried I had a dry socket because it was so painful but my dr said that everything looked good and it was healing normally. The pain was just from the nerves I guess...I could handle tingles that aren't painful! its funny how something we would never want to have we wouldn't mind having because we know how worse it could be! This has really toughened me up!!! well I can say after it did :P (really I have been suffering and am not that tough) lol I guess I will just stick to my second bottle of Advil and my Tylenol 2s...I have never taken so many pills in a weeks time before! I'm turning into a pill popper!! I still have my sense of humor so that's a good thing lol, I am trying to distract myself.......thanks again for your kind words!!
I've had cases like this RARELY, and specially with wisdom teeth, since they are so close to the nerve. The usual recommendation is to exercise your jaw.
Hello again,

I just wanted to ask you StarBrite when did your pain (burning, itching, pins and needles) go away? after how many weeks? and do you mind me asking how old you are?

Thanks a bunch!
Hi!

I noticed at the month mark that the pain was starting to subside dramatically. Now at 6 1/2 weeks the pain is pretty much gone, just constant tingles, tightness and pressure, which of course results in a lot of annoyance. However, annoyance is better than pain. So please do know that the pain will subside. I totally thought the pain would last forever but no :) Now it's just feels like a lot of tickling. I am 31, but was 30 when I did the surgery... a few weeks shy of my birthday. Way way too old to have wisdom teeth removed and I am beating myself up for not doing it as a teen or in my early 20's, but my dentist never advised me or my mother! Not that this situation can't happen then too, but since the teeth roots grow longer the older you get, the chances become worse as the years go by. How old are you?

I hope you feel better soon! I know it's rough. The massive stress and anxiety I had (like someone died) wore me down and now I'm dealing with other health issues (albeit minor and can be reversed ie: acid reflux, taste disturbances, burning peeling lips, etc.) but nonetheless terrible. So try and keep calm so you don't develop anything else during your healing time. I am mentally and physically a lot better now, back to life, working, shopping, hanging with friends, laughing :) So you will get there too in a few weeks time. Keep us posted please and I will continue to do the same.
Hello!!

A whole month??? :( that is not the answer I was hoping for lol It was my first day back to work and it was horrible!! sooo painful and now it feels like my chin is pulsating, ouchhhh  

I am 25 and I read that if you are 25-35 the chances are higher to get paresthesia because like you said the roots are longer.

I am happy to hear you are doing a lot better and healing quick!!  I cannot wait until I am laughing and hanging with friends again.I am going to celebrate once this heals!!
Yup a month for me to notice a tiny breakthrough but every week gets better. Average healing time is 3-4 months I am told, but can go for 6 months or longer. So we are both still in the early stages unfortunately :(
aww :( this definitely s ucks!! ( they think that word is a swear or something lol) it is going to be soo hard to put up with this for a whole month with pain...it hurts so much to eat too like it feels like my nerves are going crazy and they are traumatized when I chew. Ahhh do you know if your surgeon hit a nerve or was your nerve just bruised from pulling out the tooth? because my oral surgeon said he didn't hit a nerve but that nerves are so sensitive that you can bruise them just from pulling out the tooth.I am hoping that I will heal faster than what we read you know...there is this girl at my work that had nerve damage from a cavity filling but her dentist hit the nerve when he was doing the filling and she was like that for 6 weeks...I'm praying I will get lucky and have a extra speedy recovery! I can only hope right.
Everyday I am doing so much better and you will too!!! My nerve is really working overtime now to heal and I promise you that you'll feel better in a couple of weeks time. I could barely smile or talk the first few weeks as I was in so much pain. Now it's totally fine in terms of that. Just tickling galore lol! I have noticed a difference in my chin the last couple days now and my lip gained back a ton more feeling in the last 24 hours, it's kinda crazy how this all works. It's almost like a game I am playing in my head like 'what feelings will come back today??' I'm trying to make it "fun"....

I don't think the doctor's really know what exactly happens to the nerve in these situations. In my case, my tooth was severely infected (half under gum, half out) and killing me! When he went to remove it, it popped out with no issues whatsoever. No tugging, struggling, pulling at it. On the x-ray the nerve was running right next to the tooth, so it obviously got bumped and bruised, throwing it completely out of whack! Every case is different so your co-worker could have had less of a problem which is why she regained full feeling back at 6 weeks, but for me at almost 7 weeks now I am soooooo much better than even just last week. So things are improving, not getting worse. Do you happen to know your situation with the nerve? Did the x-ray show it very close to your tooth? Because of how I feel now I really believe 3-4 months is the average for it to heal completely, but again, you are only a couple weeks out right? I can almost guarantee you that 2 more weeks and you won't be in much pain anymore. Trust me :)
I'm really happy for you and your healing process sounds really good...it is crazy how it works and how quick feeling can come back you know the next day, I cannot wait until some of mine comes back and I can play this game too haha I was in so much pain today though like I feel like I did something to aggravate the nerves or something because it was almost unbearable! but then again it always is...noone really understands until it happens to them. It is frustrating trying to explain the pain to people because they just say "that s ucks" and its like well YEAH but its way worse they what they probably imagine. Everytime someone says "I dont feel good" or "I hit my toe, it hurts" I'm like hey atleast it is not nerve damage lol I can say that now and you know anything else that happens to me from here on out wont be this bad where as before "hitting my toe" was painful lol Alright so yours was infected and close to the nerve, I am not even sure how close mine was to the nerve but it wasn't infected or hurting me so I couldnt tell ya but he did say that the procedure went good and that he actually had more of a hard time pulling out the tooth on the right side and the numbness is on my left side so he thought that was weird. Yes and my co-worker is 40 too so the chances are even higher and she recovered in 6 weeks so I really hope I will recover sooner! I know I will recover, I am a positive person but I just like knowing when exactly lol if only the world worked like that but yes its only been 2 weeks (this Thursday to be exact) I reaalllllly hope I am doing a lot better in another two weeks or sooner! :) wishful thinking? Do you mind me asking your name? My name is Sarah (if you couldn't already guess)
I don't know if I am getting my hopes up or not but when I tap on my lip with my finger it is a really tingly sensation like when your foot falls asleep and then starts tingling when it comes back...I hope I am not just imagining it because I want it to heal so bad but it must be a good sign! Is that what you felt when you were getting feeling back?
Hi Sarah,

I sent you a private message on here.
hi again everyone...im soooo happy to see that you all are doing better. it will be 12 weeks for me on april 17th and im doing ALOT better...better than ever. its to the point where I almost don't even notice anymore. just a teeny bit of tingling on the top part of my left lower lip and they kinda feel chapped, but that's it. and I agree it does take about 3 months to be at least 100% normal. ifeel like that in a couple of weeks, I will be back to normal. this really has been a trying and stressful time for me. I know that if I ever need a tooth pulled again, its not gonna happen. im just gonna suffer with a toothache if I ever get another one. 8 weeks ago I thought that I would be like that forever, but I started noticing improvement on the 4th week..then it just got better and better, and finally before u kno it, its like it never even happened. well, I want to thank you all for ur stories and hope u all continue to get better. i'll post updates again in a couple days.
oh I meant to tell you that at 6 weeks, I didn't have the teeth cramming together thing and the tickling thing seemed to diminish too. now, here I am close to 12 weeks and im about 90% healed. there is no more itchy feeling. there is no numbness at all, just a chapped and scratchy feeling. I feel heat, cold, wind, pain, ect....I don't feel depressed anymore. I FEEL normal now and its great. I almost forget about it now. I would say that at week 10, u will notice the HUGEST difference. that tends to be the week where the numbing goes away for good and the" healing tingling" starts, then day by day, that subsides each day and before you know it, its like you've forgotten. im at that point now. im very glad youre doing so much better. by the beginning of summer, you'll be doing a tremendous amount better too. :)
Thank you! It is 7 weeks for me today and things just keep getting better and better. However, I still am having trouble feeling temperature on my chin, although when I put an ice cube there now, I can no longer keep it for a long time because I start feeling the pain from the coldness, but can't really feel the coldness if that makes sense? The lip can only detect a little temperature but it still feels distant. The feeling in my lip though is almost all there. I'd say another 2 weeks and that part will be fully back, at least I hope. My teeth are still tight but nowhere near as tight as they were and they too are almost all back. My gums for sure are like 85% back. Things are on the mend so I can't really complain. My chin feels a lot better too but I'd feel more at ease when it could detect temperature. Spunkerz when did you notice your chin could feel hot and cold again? What week were you at?

BTW, I'm sooooo happy you are almost back to normal :) Such fabulous news! Keep updating please!!
Does Income protection pays for this kind of injures????
Hello SPUNKERZ, thank u so much for sharing ur progress with us. U gave so much hope and confidence. I have just started the third week since my wisdom teeth extraction. Have u been taking any medications/ vitamins like B12 or something? I'm looking for anything that might help speeding up the progress. Thank you
Hello!!! Another positive update. It's been 2 months now and boy have I improved!!! :D Again I am gonna stress for those reading this who are very scared like I was, things do get better, I promise you. I truly felt like I was completely doomed for life and although I am nowhere near 100% normal yet, I have not gone backwards in recovery, only forward and with that I expect to make a full recovery, although I really do feel I have another couple months of this.

So lets see, my lip is about 85% back, only thing I am waiting on is full sensitivity to it but it's getting there and is now able to feel slight temperature. My teeth no longer feel pushed together, but they still feel a little tight. However, they are becoming less frozen with each passing week and my gums are almost 100% back and they actually feel temperature so food in my mouth does not feel as weird anymore.

My chin is the slowest to improve, but the edges have loosened up and are not as numb as they were. I've said it before what my oral surgeon told me and I'll say it again incase you missed it in an older posting of mine. The chin numbness wears off around the edges first so the numbness begins as a silver dollar, then goes to a quarter, then a dime, and then soon it's all back. That is exactly what seems to be happening in my case so I assume that's how it always should work, although everyone can be different, but I think you all should keep track of the edges and not focus on the middle yet otherwise you may get more nervous.

I will keep updating on my progress as I know how much it means to read good stories when you need reassurance that everything will be fine. I feel so much better then I did a few weeks ago and I'm now even able to go for minutes at a time and not think about it as much anymore.

Hope everyone else going through this nightmare is doing better :)
Hi guys, hi StarBrite310. Thank u so much for the post. It really gives me hope which I desperately need these days. If u don't mind, I've a couple of questions. I have all the symptoms that u have ( or had :) ) but I also have pain in the area almost all the time even with pain medication. Have u experienced such a thing?
Also, have u been taking/doing any thing like taking  B12 that might help?

Thank u so much and yes pleas keep updating us with ur progress.
Hi there,

What week are you on since this happened to you? When you say pain, do you mean tightness and a bruised feeling because if so, that's what I had. Those feelings thankfully started to subside at 4 weeks and is now completely gone at 2 months. For me, pain medication did not help this type of nerve damage. It was the worst thing for those weeks not to be able to help the pain go away with any type of medication, OTC or prescription. Then I read somewhere online that no pain relievers really help with nerve damage because it's a separate area of the body and does not respond to meds. Whether that's really true with everyone, I do not know, but it certainly was true with me. I hope you can find relief some way though, but if not, try and hang tight. The pain will go away and will not last, that I can promise :)

Regarding B12, I took it sublingually for 3 weeks and it caused me other "minor" health issues as I believe I was taking too much a day (1000 mcg). I stopped taking it and it's been a month since my last pill and things improved without it, so I don't truly think it works. Although taking it may make your mind more at ease, but in general, your body will heal with or without it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Hi StarBrite310, thank u for the info. It has been two weeks and a half since I had the extraction. The pain is definitely feels like my teeth are tight, but also I feel pain in my gums since they are still swallowed. Have u considered going to a neuro doctor?? I really think a lot about this.
My surgeon prescribed antibiotics (for the second time) and he said that everything is going to be back to normal. He seemed not worried at all which I didn't like. I am almost done with the antibiotics but nothing has changed.
What really bothers me is the feeling that my chin is unbalanced and something is moving inside it all the time.

Thank u and keep in touch.
Your surgeon is not worried because in general these things heal as I'm seeing with myself :) I'm telling you, at your stage I was in a panic thinking I was doomed forever. I too wanted to see a neurologist and said if I am not better at the month mark I'd go. However at the month mark I was well enough to realize that things were on the mend. Now at 2 months, things are soooo much better than 4 weeks ago. I also don't know what a neurologist could even do at this point. If the nerve was damaged beyond repair then I'm not quite sure it could ever be normal again and I was told you shouldn't attempt any surgery to try and fix a nerve until at least 6 months out and that would only be worth it if you absolutely saw no improvement at all. We all know a nerve isn't severed though when we start to feel the tingles and regain feelings back, even minor ones at first. Remember, if the nerve was done forever, it would feel like we just came out of novocaine, nothing, dead! Obviously that's not the case with us :) You are still in the very very early stages but I can almost guarantee that another couple weeks you will be singing a different tune. I am still not out of the woods yet at all, but I have gotten so much more optimistic now because of how much better I feel with every passing week, and you will too! Please keep updating.
Yes Hawaa, what Starbrite is saying is ALL true. You should not go see a neurologist because if the nerve is trying to heal you may make things worse. Almost 4 weeks ago I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted and I got numbness on half my lip and chin and it is still numb, I had the tight feeling in my teeth too for the first 3 weeks. Things are much better for me now I dont have the tight feeling as much and I am not taking any pain medications anymore (I was taking 12-14 a day!) The pain is unbearable I know....but like Starbrite said if you have any feelings (burning, itching, pins and needles, that offbalanced feeling) those are definitely good signs of healing and no wonder your surgeon isnt worried, I know it is frustrating when your in such a state and the surgeon isnt concerned but he knows that you will get better! mine is the same way he doesnt say much but give it time and only time will heal the nerves. I am still numb at almost 4 weeks and Starbrite is too at 2 months but we are seeing improvements and that is all that matters. When you get surgery that is ONLY if you have had no improvements and still totally numb when you first leave the surgery. I am numb yes but it is not the same type of numbing you think it is more of an annoying thick raw feeling like its not my skin. You are only at 2 and a half weeks give it a couple more and you will feel a lot better! It will take a while to fully heal but it will happen! For all of us! :)
Quick question to those that fully healed from this ordeal. When did you start to feel sensitivity back on your lip and chin? And when I mean sensitivity, I'm talking tickles from a feather brushing across, or from a piece of hair, or even your finger rubbing against your lip.

Also when were you able to fully feel hot and cold?

My numbness is indeed wearing off but I don't truly feel those two senses yet.

Thanks!
Thank you all for sharing your stories.  I am at 2 weeks since my surgery - 1 impacted wisdom tooth removal and 1 molar removal with an implant post placement - and I too have the misery of joining this elite group.  
Your words have comforted me sooo much - thank you more than you can imagine - really, I was starting to get hysterical that this would never go away.  
I have the numb lip, chin, gum and pressure of what felt like vise grips on my front teeth - constant headache from it all.  I have to say it isn't overwhelming as others have it - it is bearable, but I certainly don't want this for the rest of my life!  
Thank you for giving me hope - one day at a time - I know I can get through it if it will eventually go away :)  I do have to say that I don't have the itchy, crawling feeling that others have described - is that a good sign or not?  Also, my numbness is not complete - I can feel touch, but it burns.
Hi all,,

It has been a while since ur last posts .. StarBright .. Sarah .. I am still checking for ur progress.

I finished the first month since my extraction. I can't really tell if there is an improvement or not but it feels different for sure.

My question, how can u tell if it's getting better? Do u start feeling things or is it because that crawling started to go away?

Thanx
Hello Hawaa, I am at exactly 5 weeks today since my surgery and I have noticed improvement- the biggest improvement is the pain is not nearly as bad it is more annoying and itchy but cannot scratch it. My chin and lip feel less numb but still does not feel like it should. When I poke my lip it feels extra tingly like it is trying to heal so bad. I don't have the squeezing feeling on my bottom teeth anymore either which was extremely painful! I remember that feeling when I had my braces tightened, it was horrible but only lasted a few days. It ***** when you have pain for a long period of time. I noticed that my pain was subsiding after 3 weeks about (squeezing feeling in teeth, burning in my chin, pins and needles) now at 5 weeks it feels itchy at times and thick but tingly too its kinda tough to describe because it is such a weird feeling and I've never had it before. Its hard to explain because it still feels numb but not completely numb and it hurts if I bite my lip (which is confusing because if its numb you dont feel pain) that is why I think it is healing and it is just more sensitive there. However, to answer your question Hawaa I really don't even know how you can tell I mean I think its a bit of both if you feel temperatures (which I can) I would think if the pain is getting less and less that is a good sign too because your in pain bcuz the nerves are injured and so if they are healing you are feeling less pain. Anyway, we are all healing at different speeds in different ways- different symptoms does not mean good or bad and as for you blessed2bme52 I dont think it is bad that you dont have the itchy crawly feeling but that is basically how I was feeling with my chin before the numbness wasnt complete but it was burning, now the burning is gone but the numbness still lingers. Our bodies are always recovering themselves so this will all be in the past soon enough. :D Note to self- No more high risk dental surgeries lol
I feel so grateful to have found this forum.  I have faith that we will all be better soon and stronger for having endured this pain.  Thanks for sharing this experience with me - it makes me feel so much better.  God bless you all :)
Yes its amazing that we can all share our stories and it gives us hope that we will recover fully :) All nerves need is time to heal...if you notice any changes after a month that is a good sign that you will most likely be healed within 3 months at the most. But I am just guessing lol I am just hopeful that it will be healed within that time...it could take up to 6 months too but you just never know- do not get discouraged if it past 6 months and its not fully healed because I know of someone that lost sensation in his tongue and all of sudden came back 6 months later and it was completely numb not sort of numb like us. So we are going to be just fine :)
Hi everyone!

So today is 10 weeks since my surgery and I'm still improving with every week that goes by :) In fact, I regained some more feelings even from just yesterday! I still have a little tightness in my teeth but absolutely no pain anymore. My lip as I have mentioned here before has regained the most feeling back and I am just waiting for the last 30% or so on it which is just the feelings of temperature and small sensations. However when I press my lips together it feels about 90% normal. I do feel a little temperature when it's very strong like an ice cube, but it's still distant. My chin's edges have loosened up and there is an area now on it where I can scratch and feel my nails.

I personally believe this will take the full 6 months to be 100% back to normal which means I have till August. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a little less only because things can seem like they are moving slowly, and then all of a sudden you wake up and more feeling has returned over night than in the past 5 days. It really goes in spurts. I have improved by at least half in 10 weeks so maybe i only have 10 more weeks to go? I dunno but I sure hope! I really don't think we can put a time frame on this as everyone heals at different rates. I do think we will all recover though. If at 4 weeks you really have noticed a considerable change like I did, then you should be fine from then on out :)
Hi All...it is such a comfort to check in here.  My family thinks I'm crazy and being a baby - I don't think anyone could understand this unless they have experienced it.  I really had no clue any of this could happen...of course there is the tiny print mentioning something about numbness that you sign off on....but it never mentioned the pain.  Luckily for me my pain has lessened already - I am 16 days post surgery and these last 3 days have been better.  I already feel like there are times I could (almost) pretend to be normal - I don't think I have it as severly as most of you - but my first week was agony and now things are much more bearable.  
My daughter's wedding is in July and I really hope to be normal by then...shower is next weekend...luckily I look ok and if I don't eat anything to difficult I should be able to pull it off without grossing anyone out :)
Well, hope you all have a lovely day and enjoy what you can...life goes on!
Small little update to put other's minds at ease on this slow and agonizing process...

10 weeks, 1 day = I can now feel liquid on my teeth that were numb, as well as the temperature of hot and cold on them :)