Dental Health Community
NUMB CHIN AND LOWER LIP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

NUMB CHIN AND LOWER LIP

HAD LOWER LEFT WISDOM TOOTH OUT TUESDAY AND NOW IT IS SEVEN DAYS LATER AND STILL HAVE LEFT LOWER LIP AND LEFT SIDE OF CHIN NUMBNESS AND FRONT LOWER TEETH AND GUM ON INSIDE ALSO..GOING BACK TO ORAL SURGEON ON THURSDAY TO SEE WHAT HE SAYS..ALSO ALTHOUGH THERE IS THE NUMBNESS I HAVE PERIODIC ITCHING FEELING AND CRAWLEY FEELINGS IN MY CHIN AND LIP, DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE INFERIOR ALVELOAR NERVE DAMAGE..WILL IT GET BETTER  IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TAKE TO HELP THIS SITUATION..THANKS FOR THE HELP
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Seeing a neurologist is advised.
I know exactly what you're going through.   When I had my wisdom teeth taken out 15 years ago I remember the annoying numbness and that itchy, crawly feeling in the chin and lip!   However the numbness does go away........I think mine took a few weeks before everything returned to normal.    But it did return to normal.   And I was told back then that the feelings you're having are quite normal and it's the nerves recovering from the minor surgery that's taken place in your mouth.   My bottom lip also had a burning sensation for a few weeks afterwards but it does go away.   I was so sure back then that the surgeon must have severed nerves and ruined me for life but this of course was not the case and I'm sure it will be same for you.

Hope this helps.  I know it's easy to say but give it time and be patient.
Thank you for your  words of comfort..I am so glad to hear your numbness wasnt permanent.  I am so worried that mine won't come back, but I am a worry wart...!  I go to the Surgeon tomorrow to see what he has to say about all of it..that should be interesting.   I will post back and let everyone know what he says...I hope I don't freeze and just let him run over me..without getting information I need.  Thanks again for words.
Well went to OS today and he said that my nerve was located exceptionally high and that my nerve was bruised or hurt because of that..he said that it might take 6 months to 1 yr. to heal and he didnt know how much healing there would be hard to say..but he felt good that it would just take time..he said I had a 2% chance it wouldnt heal..and that he would need me to come in every 6 wks to check my progress..that was it oh except he said I would get use to it.. and that I should take advil for the pain..he was just matter of fact and not to apologetic..I then called my regular dentist and went over report with him and he just said the same thing , that i t was just bad luck and not usual thing that happens.. said it was not often and he was very sorry it happened.  But time would hopefully heal me...so I guess I am in for a long wait or a wait who knows how long..he did say  I could go ahead with the two root canals I need so I guess when I get my nerve up I will do that, but that will take awhile for my nerves to get over this and trust another dentist.. my dentist said root canals are not near as envasive as wisdom teeth surgery so I hope he is right...thanks again to the responses...and hope that everyone out there gets 100% and me too...
I am absolutely sure that you will be fine in a few weeks.   I know exactly what you're going through.   What you described in your original letter is the same as what I felt with the itchy crawly feeling.    You feel like it's driving you crazy because you can't feel that area to be able to fix it because of the numbness.  Remember though that you've had minor surgery on a part of your body where nerves have been upset, and like every surgery, you have to let the body heal itself.    All of a sudden you will wake up and realize that you have a tiny little bit more sensation than you did the day before, and then the next week it will feel like a tiny bit more has come back, and so on and so on.   It takes time but the body is a very complex machine.   Remember.....the itchy crawly feeling is a good sign!   I'll be very interested to hear your progress.
Can you tell me how long it was until you regained your feeling completely?  I sure appeciate your post, it made me feel better, really..a person needs all the positive result stories they can read..  So it made me feel a lot better..it has been twelve days with no change, but I think the worst of it is my teeth in front feel like they are being squeezed together all the time and that drives me crazy..but hopefully like you say I will wake up one day and it will be better...Thanks again for the post..
Hi there......if I remember correctly it took up to 6 weeks for me.    After the first month of complete numbness I had people telling me that the surgeon must have severed nerves which scared me to death, so I contacted him and was told to be patient and it would come right.   And it sure did.   All of a sudden the nerves start to get over the bruising and shock they've had and little by little the feeling begins to return.   I know what you're going through though.....it's very scary when you don't know why things aren't returning to normal after the operation.   I know it's no consolation but 12 days is still very early days yet.   From what I've experienced, teeth take their own sweet time in deciding when to come right.   Please keep me updated as I'll be waiting for the day I receive a post from you saying that the feeling is slowly returning :-)
I surely will keep you posted..I hope it wont be long..I called several neurologists ofc today to make appt and they didnt seem to think it was necessary or that they could help me, they all just said time was the healer and if I needed further help to go back to the surgeon that did the surgery and ofcourse I have already done that and he said time is the answer..so thats where I am now.  So I will keep up the postings..Thanks for your posting.
Remember this is a very normal, common thing after wisdom tooth extraction, that's why they said it wasn't necessary to see you.   Just out of interest, you didn't mention in your very first post if this wisdom tooth was impacted or not.  Was it?
WELL TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH IT WAS SHOWING THRU ABOUT 1/2 WAY AND PART OF MY GUM HAD TORN AND WAS HANGING THERE AND I WAS CHEWING FOOD AND IT WAS GETTING IN THE WAY AND WAS INFECTED AT THE LAST.  SO I DONT GUESS IT WAS TRUELY IMPACTED.  I AM NOT SURE HE NEVER REALLY SAID WHAT THEY CALLED IT.  I AM HANGING IN AND WILL KEEP EVERYONE UP ON MY PROGRESS.. THANKYOU
Hi, how are you doing?    Been over a week since your last post and I was just wondering how you're feeling.
My nurse sister said that my numbness in my chin and lower lip could be permanent, but luckily after reading these posts I realize it could take longer than I anticipated. I had three wisdom teeth removed almost a week ago. My lower left was also removed like numb chin. I have just began to try to move to noodles, and soft foods. It has been yogurt, pudding, jello, and ice cream for almost a week. Good gosh I never thought getting your wisdom teeth out could be so painful and uncomfortable.  
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is possible you will never gain feeling.   I had a "average"  removal of my wisdom teeth (impacted).. I stayed awake through the procedure( not a great idea) Next month it will be a year since I have have had any feeling in the right side of my tongue, and severe nerve damage over my entire bottom gums and my right upper face... nerves are weird...My days are a constant battle of pain and burning sensations...  Nights are harder because i usaully eat my tongue... Seriously... I have no idea that I am doing it, and it doens"t hurt... but I see blood in the am and it is a weird sensation.  If this is happening to you, please contact me... it is a very difficult thing to deal with.. and I would love to talk to someone who understands me...
________________________________________
Dental Plans

[url=http://www.goldenrule.com/health/dental.shtml]Dental Plans[/url]
hey sounds like your feeling the effects of paresthesia.... teeth on the bottom(mandibular) are VERY close to your nerves and when pulled, can get damaged from the extraction, and the top (maxillary) are very close to the sinus... so there are things that could happen all over the mouth....you could get the feeling back today, tomorrow or never but like he said that unusual for it to never come back..... the tingling feeling that your feel could be a good sign of your nerves getting better..... tingling usually means the feeling is coming back.

th dentist should have atleast apologized for the problem and prescribed you some pain meds.....

lets us know how your doing....

Kristyn ...dental assistant
Are you feeling any better?
Hey there i just got my wisdoms pulled 5days ago and my lower chin from middle to the left is numb and my lbottom lip as well. im very depressed over this. i will never be able to feel a great kiss again. i do have tingling.  and yesterday that crawley feeling. but when i touch it with something sharp no feeling. which scares me to death. it would be nice to hear some advice or pull through stories. or straight up stories of it not getting better. please help. _Butler
Any changes with numbness? This post was made in June and I was wondering if anyone had a positive update? My right side of my tongue is numb- I am having a burning sensation and I do have a tiny bit of feeling on it. I am scared too that the feeling won't come back. I wouldn't have gotten the wisdom teeth out if I knew this would be permanent.
Hi, I am experiencing numbness as well but the strange thing isI have not had my left wisdom tooth remove yet. My dentist said this is strange since the numbness usually happens after extraction.  This is scarrry for me, is there anyone who had my symtom and healed normally after extraction?
has anyone got any updates on their numbness? i got my 2 lower wisdoms out 5 days ago, i'm 37 and my surgeon mentioned i may get a tingling lip as a "side effect" just before he removed them but nothing else. Now I've got a numb chin and lip with this awful burning sensation. My bottom front teeth feel weird, like they are too close together and they hurt - even when brushing lightly. I am very depressed over this too, the burning tingling is worse at night, I haven't slept properly since it started.  Went back to my surgeon yesterday and he said he has never heard of the numbness going to the chin but that because I can feel slight pain when he did a pricking test this is just the nerves healing and I should be ok in a few weeks.  After researching online I am not so sure, he hasnt filled me with any confidence, I do keep getting that horrid crawley feeling over my chin so I keep positive that the feeling will return soon.  My thoughts go out to anyone else suffering this, it is quite distressing and scary.
Hi all,

I'm seeing everyone has experience numbness and nerve problems after root canals, anyone here after just a filling??  Last week I went in for a filling on my back two teeth.  I get gassed every time I go to the dentist because I'm absolutely terrified!!  Unfortunately, the injection literally "shocked" the daylights out of me!!!  It felt like I was being electrocuted...like I was struck by lightening!!  It was the worse pain I've ever experienced ever!!  I've had root canals and I've had one of my wisdom teeth removed, but this was absolute hell!!  Anyway, since then...my lower lip and chin are numb.  I get that tingly, itchy, crawling feeling much like what was mentioned and it's just extremely uncomfortable to touch, to kiss my little babies, wash my face, eat etc...
The dentist said this happened to "one" of her patients once before and that it should be okay in two or three days.  I'm at seven now, and still there's no difference.  So, I was just wondering...has everyone recovered?  Did anyone get the same feeling/pain during their injections??  Should I be worried?  Is this permanent??  It's horrible to think about, but after reading a lot of the postings here...it gives me a little peace of mind, but not much!  :(  
Please help!

Maria
Hey trini, after experiencing pain on my lower right side I was told I need a root canal.  When I arrived at the endodontics ofc he said my #29 tooth had crack but stay at the gum line.  I had also began to feel numbness, tingling and a cold sensation hours prior to the procedure.  His office just called me back and prescribed an antibiotic I will see if this works.  Will keep you posted.  I hope you are all feeling better soon.
Need advice, I'm 57 + back in Oct. 2010 I had my 2 lower wisdom teeth removed. The oral surgeon told me due to my age there was a chance I'd have numbness, but it might not be permanent. The left side of my chin, lip + teeth became numb, I've had 2 follow up visits + was feeling some improvement. Now in the last 2 weeks the numbness has become more intense than at any time. Any advice would be much appreciated.
@Marlinds: same issue here.  Had a huge crater on one of my molars with decay close to the nerve.  The dentist had to go close to the nerve to properly clean and medicate in order to (hopefully) avoid a root canal.  That was on 4/14 and I also got gassed for the procedure. Bottom left lip and chin still numb - dentist said it could take about a week to go away. Crossing my fingers...
OMG ! I am experiencing the same everything that numbchin56 is experiencing. There is no difference at all. I was just amazed to see that someone besides me is so SCARY AT THE FACT that they won't regain feeling. I got all four of my impacted wisdom teeth extracted Thursday August 18 and I still have the left numb chin and lip.. It bothers me because as numbchin56 said it feels like my front teeth are being closed together and it's an irritating pain. And then it feels as if things are crawling, dripping, itchinh in my chin. It feels so weird. But I was sooo nervouse about the whole thing and I also went back to the dentist for him to tell me that it will gradually come back and it may take weeks or months -_- . I wasn't happy because this is so irritating. But I said this to say that I ant wait to HEAL and although this was two years ago and I'm in 2011.. Lol. This was very helpful and gave me much closure so no I'll leave it alone and just let time take care of the situation.. I guess I have to wait week -__-.. But Thanks to you guys stories I feel a lot better and I'm happy now to know I wasn't the only one paranoid about this... So thanks Guys for sharing your stories.. ^_^
I have been going through the same thing except that mine started over nothing. Last October I noticed a little numbness in my chin before i knew it i had the burning numbing tingly sensation on the left side of my face, from my lips to  my ear, and now I to feel as if  my teeth are being pushed together.I did have it checked out by the dentist last April and was told that everything looked fine. I have had an MRI and an MRA  and once again everything looks good. After reading all your posts I have decided that maybe it's time to see a new dentist. Good luck people, and please post with new diagnosis.
Hello, I had my 2 bottom wisdom teeth removed by a OS on 9-28-11. My chin and the inside of my mouth is still numb. I have been having trouble sleeping because I have been having an itching and tingling sensation. I got the bright idea of putting aspercreme on it and that feeling immediately stopped. I still feel numb but now I don't have feeling anymore. I hope this helps someone else!!
I am experiencing the same discomfort as everyone here. I just had mine removed on the 5th of Oct. This pain is something serious!!!! I went to the dentist today and he didnt seem to knowledgable on the subject, he acted as if i was insane or making up some symptoms. I wouldnt wish this on anyone, the pain, burning, creepy crawly feelings is nothing to make up or play with. I do know if my feeling does not come back i may be looking into a malpractice suit, i have already done some research and found similar cases. http://www.teethremoval.com/dental_malpractice.html
I will be compensated if this is something that i permanently have to live with. I am popping pills seems like every 5 seconds, I continuously use a heating pad and wake up in the middle of the night to extreme pain.....I wish i would have just left the damn teeth in...uggggghhhhh!!!!!!
I had my bottom 2 wisdom teeth out on September 24th,2011,they were impacted.I was not put to sleep and it was complete torture,I was in extreme pain.I have numbness in my chin and bottom lip,I was told nothing about this prior to them being pulled.I went back and told the surgeon about the numbness and he said it is from the nerves and you will regain your feeling back up to 6 months.How nice of him to tell me about this prior to them being pulled,they are sneaky and also give you no paper work to read on,or when they tell you to sign an electronic pad,cause you don't realize it but you are giving consent to all of the above.It is 1 month today and no difference,but the pain is gone and I am just uncomfortable and left numb.I am only 31 yrs old and this could be permanent I was told from my regular dentist,I have no sensation when I kiss my husband or children,it is very upsetting and depressing to think I could be this way for the rest of my life.
Everybody's comment and experience I take something from, From the Dentist not telling us to signing over our rights to appointments a month away in hopes of getting relief from this fear. I just got my #17 pulled Monday awake with gas. But what sticks out the most is when the dentist tells me that is why he reccomends people to go to sleep after I jumped from the pain and almost vomitted from the instrument touching the part of my throat. Good bedside manners he had. I would not go pack to him just for that alone not to mentio this experience.

As I read everyone'd experience I go from hope to depressed. With this being the Season of Thanks it hard to think of a future with a life of numbness anywhere-especially in the face area. I am fearful of never regaining the normal feeling i had before the removal of my #17, I now go back and forth worrying if i will regain feeling or if I'd find a husband to say he loves my numb lip, chin and closely touching teeth. Wow I never Imagined.

To all I hope that your numbness has return or will in due time for is that has not yet. May we all be blessed
I have just had 4 wisdom teeth removed last week, and im suffering from the same symptoms: numbness on the chin, lower lip and my two lower front teeth feels like they have been pressed together by a plier. This is a very discomforting feeling. I called the OS yesterday and they said it should go away in a few weeks to come.
What makes me mad is that they OS told me that it is very rare to get this side effect "peresthesia", but by judging by the amount of postings on this subject, this is not a rare thing at all.
Anyone who has had progress please let me know?, because Im getting frustrated by this.
I had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled on Dec 16/11, and my lower chin gums and right lower lip is numb. eating is brutal I cant feel the food stuck in between my lip and gum.
the OS told me to take Vitamin B12. and that, would help rebuild the nerves.
also he said if you can feel a tingle or any sensation at all the nerves havn't been completely severed. so i'll hold on to some hope. today i started feeling a burning sensation, seems like there are steps in the recovery hopefully its recovering.
i have been numb for 3 years and the burning and numbness are beginning to wear on me.  i really wish there was a way to fix this.  my relationship with my husband is trying b/c it hurts too much to even kiss him.  help!
it has been three years for me and i still have numbness and burning.  it is very depressing when i kiss my husband and it hurts :(  is there something someone can do to correct this problem?!
Pharmacologic intervention may improve or eliminate your symptoms, if your symptoms resulted from dental surgical procedures. Possible useful medications include, but not limited to, anticonvulsants,such as gabapentin,lyric, antidepressants, such as,amitryptyline, duolexitin, and many others. Seeing an experienced orofacial pain specialist or neurologist is advised.
Well I have involuntarily joined this club with all of you. I got all 4 impacted wisdom teeth extracted 10 days ago, and have been experiencing a numb chin, bottom lip, and gums surrounding my bottom teeth ever since. I too have the horrible sensations of "tingles" and that my face has fallen asleep and won't wake up, constant "pins and needles", and that somebody punched me in the mouth and injected me with insects. It was been absolutely horrible and terrifying. Contacting my rude dentist proved to be unhelpful so I took it upon myself to research this problem. That is where I discovered this forum, and hundreds of other people around the world that this has happened to. Although I would never wish this pain on anyone, it has been very comforting and helpful to know that I am not alone.

I do have to say to all of you that I woke up today for the first time feeling hopeful that this could actually go away someday. Apparently the fact that I am feeling any sensation is a good sign - and for everyone else this is the case also. It is extremely hard to exercise patience throughout this, especially when nobody else understands and there really isn't a whole lot that can be done except to wait. I am going to start taking vitamin B12, that promotes nerve regeneration, and am going to try meditating and keeping busy and trying to stay positive. Good luck to all of you. I am not happy that this is happening to any of us, but I am happy that I am not alone.
I also found the following website to be comforting:

http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_teeth/t7-wisdom-tooth-paresthesia.htm

I hope it helps some of you too!
It is almost 2 months after my procedure, and I am experiencing improvement!! I have regained feeling in my lip and most parts of my chin. When I brush my teeth my gums are still noticeably numb. The constant intense tingles have subsided to more of a dull feeling that that portion of my face still feels "different", with occasional sharp jobs of painful tingles and sensations that hurt. I am extremely positive and hopeful that everything that is happening are signs of improvement! I am experiencing a mirrored feeling on my chin whenever I trace my bottom lip, and vice versa...it is super bazaar and crazy; as if my nerves are reconnecting wrong or are still inflamed and are touching other nerves. I noticed it a couple weeks ago and it still happens regularly.

I can now eat meals without noticing my ailment, and have conversations without feeling self-conscious that my face is distorted and swollen! I am SO happy! I have been taking liquid vitamin B12 daily, and occasionally an anti-inflammatory which helps when the sensations are extra tingly. I wish you all the best of luck and hope that you're experiencing these improvements as well. And if you're not...there is hope that you will!
Hi, i have the exact same symptoms as you except half my tongue is also halfway numb..numb bottom lip, teeth, gums esp in front..ugh i sooo hope this goes away. its been 2 weeks for me and mine hasnt progressed that i can tell. im not tingling that i know of in the lips. it more feels like a burning sensation when i touch it. my chin is extremely numb..the numbest part is right under my bottom lip on my chin in one patch. this ***** so bad. im taking vitamin b6 pills crushed up and also cant eat real solid foodds bc of the tongue issue. this is seriously depressing. your improvement gives me hope! maybe i should try the vitamin b liquid too? lol im taking pills..but i dunno what the difference would be. i havent found anyone who has my symptoms around here..would be nice to talk! my email is ***@**** please email me. best of luck!
Glad to hear you are better.…
I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted 1 month ago and experiencing the numbness etc. I went for a check up to my dentist who basically said I have to wait it out 6-12 months and if after that I don't get the feeling back then I never will.
Why does it take soooooooo long? Is there anything I can do to speed up recovery??
Also I was wondering if maybe I should not be sleeping on that side or applying pressure to it? Will I be able to go for a facial or will that further bruise the nerves?
Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks!
You know the feeling when ur numb chin is itchy but you can't scratch it??
Well you can scratch it but can't feel… so strange and hard to explain to ppl who can't.
Embarrassing to eat out also because I'm still on soft foods so I end up dropping soup, ice cream down my face but can't feel it's there. I am constantly wiping my mouth with a napkin
Hi, I am a 60 year old male and on Feb 7th 2012 I had a cyst removed from my lower jaw, and an impacted wisdom tooth removed at the same time. I was told by the surgeon that I may experience some numbness following the surgery and that there was a small chance it would be permanent. What he didn't bother to mention was all the horrible symptomns mentioned on this forum. However, in the past several weeks I have regained some feeling in my lip and chin which has gradually improved over time, but with the improved feeling I have experienced increased tingling and slight pain (hope this is normal). Reading the posts on this forum has given me hope that all the feeling will return given time.

Keep the faith.  
thank you so much everyone:)
Hi.
Was wondering how you are doing with the numbness in your chin/lip? I'm very interested in how your recovery has come along since I have had the same thing happen to me.

Had 4 wisdom teeth removed and am on day 3 now. No pain but I kinda wish there was instead of this numbness!! (no joke)

Any update would be ever so helpful! What did your dentist/surgeon say about it?
Please help!!! Any positive stories would help out greatly!

I'm a 32 year old male. Had 4 wisdom teeth removed on 8/3/2012 + an impacted/infected molar on bottom right.

Day 1 post op (day of surgery): slept mostly after surgery (8am)  but woke up later in the afternoon  and noticed the left side of chin/lip from corner of mouth to center of chin/lip was numb. This was different than the other side that was no longer feeling the anesthesia.

Day 2: No pain. The left side of chin and lip from the corner to the center of the jaw is STILL numb. My extraction sites are a bit sore but no real pain to speak of. JUST THE NUMBNESS and now my teeth feel like they are being squeezed together but only on the left bottom toward the front.

Day 3: Still no real pain but the numbness is getting me very very worried :( and the squeezed teeth feeling is still there. I have been noticing an itch every now and then but cant feel anything when I try to scratch it. Also, a tingle or crawling sensation every so often too. Is this a good or bad sign??

I've read almost every post on here and some else where and am quite worried! Alarmed, panicked, scared, worried is more like it.

I will be posting on here with updates so others can gain from this, too. Any stories would be welcome!! ...especially the positive ones. HAS ANYONE HAD COMPLETE RECOVERY???

Pstan,

How are you doing now? Has your symptoms gotten any better? Would love to hear back from you as I'm sure all on this forum would.

DivineMagic

How are you doing now? Have you gotten any better?
I had a tooth removed March 20th. I was left with a numb chin and lip and depression on top of that. I have been to the oral surgeon several times telling him of this miserable ordeal and he says there is nothing he can do. He says the wait could be 6-12 months, well next month will be month number 6. I have some sensation in my chin, but my lip on the left side is still numb. This has been the worst ordeal ever and this is not my first surgery. I have never heard of anyone having this until I got on this forum. I have the occasional itching and burning but thats it. I have taken vitamin B12, probably went through about 3 bottles already and nothing. I just do alot of praying these days!!!! Everyone going through this, I feel your pain!!!!!
Did you ever notice any improvement or has it been the same since the beginning?
I go my tooth extracted a week ago an let me feel you it has been one thing after another. My left part of my bottom lip and my chin are numb, an my teeth on thy side feel like something is crushing them down and together. My dentist said the pain in my teeth were my fault... I am very depressed about this because it is constant pain and I just want or to stop. I was only prescribed 6 pain pills and I have one left that I want to save in case it gets worst... I don't know what to do. I am so glad I foun people with the same problem because no one else understands this pain.
Sorry I have not been on here in awhile. There has been some feeling coming back in my chin. My lip still feels numb. It actually hurts and it drives me crazy. I have been told there is nothing they can do. I am afraid to go have any dental work done now. I have never experienced anything like this and I hope I never do again!
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out Dec 14th, 2012. One was impacted, rest were cut out. At this point, I'm not worried about the pain, I am frightened because I can't seem to feel half my bottom lip and half my chin STILL. I have read many stories on this, anyone have an update?! I have an appointment next Thursday.
its been seven days now and my lip and chin are still numb.i had the start of a root canal and a bad infection
.the infection is gone but the numbness isnt i have heard all the horror stories but does anybody have good news like hey i have feeling again!please give me somthing to make me not feel so nervous about this problem.thanks     numbnotfun
I also have the same symptoms now as I pulled my wisdom teeth
This is due to nerve damage
Take slot of vitamin b
As the vitamin enrich the body nerves
Also anti biotics will help along with the vitamin
The doc said it needs 2 to 3 weeks to recover
This is the first week
Are u still feeling the numbness?
Yes I'm still numb after 33 days. It's very hard to get used to this, I bite my lip a lot and i talk funny. Thank you for the info on vitamin b I hope that it improves the healing. I heard of people being numb for months I guess I will be one of those people.
I had an implant just before Christmas which left me with a numb chin, numb lip and teeth that felt 'wooden' - all on the left hand side of my mouth. My dentist removed the implant within one week but I insisted on going to Kings College Hospital for a referral to a nerve damage specialist.  I'm lucky that the damage was only mild and I don't have pain, only a slight burning sensation on the lower lip. I know from my research that many people have severe pain and feel depressed.  I woud urge other people to do the same and get a nerve damage specialist to assess your situation.My attitude has been positive about it improving and I am glad to say there are signs that it is improving.
I am going to a nerve doctor next week to find out how much damage was done. I'm hoping all to be well. There are times when the lip burns and I'm using a lot of Chapstick.thanks for the positive feedback
ive read and now can understand what many people are going thru. ive got the same thing with the left side numbness and the teeth pushing together thing. also the crawly itchy feeling that cant be scratched. its been about a month for me after my dental procedure.  I think the fact that we can feel the tingling and burning is a good thing. its kinda like having ur leg going to sleep and that feeling it gets right before u get feeling in it again. and yes. it does take up to a year for it to finally be normal. that is if ur one of the lucky ones that don't have permanent numbness. other than that if after a year it doesn't go away it probably wont. and my dentist sed for me just to get used to it. that it will just be a part of my life forever. its depressing but what can u do, right. live with it, I guess. its what ive learned to do. at least it only feels abnormal and not looks abnormal. outwardly, no once can tell anything is wrong so I guess I can be happy about that.
It's been 44 days now and I'm getting a little feeling back but it's still not right. I had to cancel my oral surgeon appointment last week and I'm concerned about getting more dental work done on this tooth because of the numbness. I have a root canal that's not finished, how long do I have to wait? Certainly I wouldn't want my dentist to go back into this tooth after what I went through! If I have this numb feeling for a year that would be hard to deal with, I just hope and pray this will get better. Vitamin B is suppose to be very good at healing nerve damage. I wish everyone well and keep a positive outlook!
here is what ive been told. ive got the same issue after having 2 back teeth removed and I was informed later that this IS permanent. and its been a month so, im beginning to believe it wont go away. its miserable, as you all know. the crawly feeling, the teeth crushing together thing, the skin feeling thick, ect. I guess I can be glad I don't LOOK like a freak, I just FEEL like one. no one would know my chin and lips were numb unless I told them. im able to master eating and talking normally. chances are, its permanent and no vitamin, or heating pad, or anything will help it. its NERVE damage. nerves are what makes people basically live. when a nerve is damaged, its damaged. at some point people get used to it. I already am.
hi numbnofun...hope ur doing better. well according to the dentist, and some of the sites ive read, this numbness thing does take while to go away, if at all. sometimes it drives me nuts, other times if im not really paying attention I don't notice it much. nerves are a crazy thing. I read where some one who had this problem got some one to punch him in the mouth just so he could get his lip stitched and possibly given something that would help, and of course it didn't. but its probably true that 85% of people who had this issue NEVER recover while the 15% recover in 6 months to a year. I guess I can just be happy that I don't LOOK like a freak, I just FEEL like one. :/
I too felt some sort of relief that only I knew that I had a numb chin and lips. The tingling does seem to indicate that the nerve is tryng to knit together again as I have definitely felt an improvement over the past few days so feel fairly optimistic that it will correct itself almost entirely. I have tried gently massaging my chin when I shower and although it may not be much help it feels as if I am doing something to improve things! I do feel it is better to have a positive attitudte and get on with life.  I know from reading some of these comments, that there are worse cases than my own and I wish everyone a full and speedy recovery. There really are worse things!

oh yes, there really are worse things. besides this numbing issue, I don't have any other medical problems. im accepting the fact that I will probably be dealing with this for a long time. I have managed to eat and speak normally.
I have been feeling a lot better thanks for asking. The numbness is going away considerably except for the slight tingle feeling when I put my finger to my lower lip. The two teeth feel a bit strange but I do notice improvement. It was very difficult to talk and eat but I got used to it because that's all we can do right? I would again just encourage everyone to keep a positive outlook! When I first got on this site I wanted to hear from someone, anyone if there progress was getting better because I was very afraid of staying like this, oh how comforting when I heard sources of hope. As time went by I got more feeling back in my chin and eventually my lower lip, boy was I relieved. There is still a long road for me, I still have two root canals to deal with on that side of my mouth, wish me luck I'm going to be numb again. I hope you get your feeling back soon it just might take some time. Thanks again for the feedback and I will keep you posted on what the oral surgeon might have to say.
I think I can honestly say that after 12 weeks, I have entirely recovered my sense of feeling.  I only say this to encourage others that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I can also say that I was left with a huge gap in my teeth after the removal of the implant (to improve the nerve damage) but that after a lot of consideration and consultation with my dentist, I have since had another implant without any bad effects.  Even though my chin felt numb again from the injection, it returned to normal this time! I had total confidence in my dentist, who acted with the utmost care at all times. I understand that a lot of people have had trouble after implants and I only wish that there was more information about what can go wrong in some cases.. If your dentist is aware of what has happened and is prepared to give you root canal treatment, I would say go ahead and don't look back. Keep smiling folks - cos that is something that hasn't been affected by my numb chin.
I am glad to hear that the numbness will go away after the next visit to my dentist. This whole ordeal has been some experience. There should be some more information on this topic to help others   Thanks for the support.
well, how is everyone doing?  its been about 6 weeks for me and for the past 3 days im noticing a little bit of improvement. not a whole lot though. I can feel heat, cold, pain and burning. I haven't had that teeth crushing together thing in about 2 days and my chin stings a little more probably because im getting feeling back in it. im sure its gonna be a few more weeks before I get complete relief. the fact that I can feel pain is a good sign. im actually happy my mouth is hurting right now. I hope all of you get better soon and keep up informed on ur progress. it is pretty rough and cases can be different, but in this case, pain is what we want.
how is everyone doing these days. im feeling less numb and more pain. and pain is a good thing. pain means no nerve damage. I haven't had that tickle and itchy feeling in about 3 days and the teeth pushing together thing in about 4 days. my lip hurts like its chapped and burning, but im happy about that. i know i still have at least 2 or 3 more weeks, possibly more before im 100% healed. its just a matter of waiting and being patient. hope you all have a speedy recovery.
Glad to hear your getting some feeling back so that is good news but the pain is uncomfortable. The cold weather always took a toll out on me.So I'm heading to the dentist today so they can complete the finish of this root canal. I'm not so nervous anymore. I will keep Everyone up to date.
hi again...well, things are getting slightly better. I have some feeling in my chin and I can feel intense cold and heat. the itchy and tingly feeling are few and far between now. my lip feels like its chapped and burning a little. this is a good thing though, as pain means no nerve damage. I definitely can tell a difference between today and when this first started about 7 weeks ago. I think I still have a few weeks before im over this completely, but the worst is over. the teeth being squeezed together thing is pretty much gone. I haven't had that feeling for several days now. just taking this one day at a time. I hope you all are doing better and would love to hear how you all have been progressing.
Its been three months for me today.  Impacted wisdom tooth removed Dec 7, 2012.. The dreaded numb chin and lower lip/jaw.  I guess I don't have any thing to explain or any questions to ask as I see they have all been addressed. Thanks for all who shared this experience.  I'm just hoping mine isn't that less than 2% rare permanent situation as this is not something I can get used to.......
hi wayne. hope ur doing better. well its been about 2 months since I first experienced this terrible ordeal and I can now say that today has been better than the previous and the day before that. its true that this can take a while to heal 100% but in some cases it doesn't heal at all. I don't have any more numbness just a lot of a stinging and chapped feeling on my lip. my chin is almost back to normal and I think im pretty much done with the teeth crushing feeling. my lips are dry and I use a lot of carmex. im sure I still have a couple of weeks or so before im back to normal, but it can definitely feel a HUGE difference in between today and back in mid January when this first started happening. remember, if it starts to hurt, that's GOOD! pain means ur nerves are repairing. that's how we know we're in pain, through our nerves. please let us know how ur doing. I know this ***** but with time, it gets better.
Had wisdom teeth removed over 4 yrs ago. Gums, lip and chin still numb. VERY IRRITATING!!!!
hi everyone...just wanted to fill you in on my progress. I have no more numbness, just some burning and chappedness. im shocked that ur still numb after 4 years!! that's very unusual, but I have heard in some rare cases, this never goes away. I think I still have at least a month or so before im 100% completely healed. I was told that the numbness lasts for about a couple months, then the tingling for another couple of months, then the pain for a couple of months, then the couple of months it takes to heal. im no where near out of the woods yet, but it is getting better. its just a matter of time. I hope all of you get well soon and please keep us informed. :)
Hello everyone, I would have to say I'm doing a lot better now than I did before. I went to the dentist for the next step of my root canal and he never used any Novocain but when he was cleaning out the root I was concerned that the nerve would be affected. All went well and I was relieved. I'm feeling the same effects as you with chapping and sensitivity but its so much better than before. Really sorry to hear about (Doinme) 4years is a long time. I wonder if you we're taking vitamin c. I hope the feeling comes back for you! So I'm still not out of the woods yet cause I'm going back the end of the month for a post and crown. I'm always on edge after the nerve damage. Hope everyone's feeling better. Good luck.
Hi there.  I"feel your pain" in a manner of speaking.  My surgery was feb 11 of this year and still on sensation in left chin,  lleft lower lip, as well as gums and teeth..  I am concerned that it will be permanant, but am trying to keep positive.  I get some burning in the lip and sharp tingles in the chin.  I also get an itch in my chin that of course I cannot scratch.  I am getting usedto it, but of course wish I didn't have it.  In the great scheme of things, I feel I am lucky that at my age, this is the only true ailment  that I have [other than a long standing  back and shoulder injury).  I hope that it allretuns to normal, but I guess we all have to wait it out.
hi everyone. hope ur all doing ok. my numbness is gone, but I still have burning feeling and pain. but since I know that's a good sign, im ok with that. every day it seems like the pain is a little bit less and less. the worst part about all of this was the itchy thing which ive noticed is going away too. I know I can feel heat because when I drink hot co co, I can feel the heat from the cup and when I drink ice water, I can feel the cold. my chin is back to normal. I do not ever plan on having any more dental work done---ever. I would rather suffer from the worst toothache in my life than deal with this mess again, and that's no lie. LOL!! anyway, hope all of you are getting better and as always please share ur progress with us.
Thanks for all the info out here about lip and chin numbness. I just had some dental work done two days ago and my lower right lip and chin still feel like they are numb and itchy and tingling. I have been going crazy all weekend trying to scratch at it and see if I can get some more feeling in it. At least now I know after reading so many posts, it may not be normal but its not uncommon.I really hope I get some feeling back soon, I keep thinking I am drooling.
hi everyone. well its been about ten weeks for me and im doing much much better. the only thing I have issues with now are the my lower left lip feels like its chapped and burning.  im sure in the next few weeks i'll be 100% better. I have pain and feeling now. I would say im about 70% healed at this point. I hope all of you are doing better these days. keep us informed and be positive. :)
Thanks for posting your progress Spunkerz. I am 29 years old. I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a little over 2 weeks ago. Bottom teeth were impacted. I've had numbness in my mouth, gums, chin, and lower lip (right side) since the surgery, and like all of you, it has been freaking me out. I am calm on the outside, but my family and friends have no idea about the worries I battle every day in my mind.

I had the tingling feeling only for about a week, and now it's gone, and I'm worried that that is a bad thing. Supposedly, the tingling feelings mean that your nerves are regenerating. Today I feel nothing but complete numbness, and I'm worried. I totally regret getting my wisdom teeth removed. They were impacted but they weren't bothering me. It was "prophylactic."

This was the most current forum I could find online, and that's why I'm posting here. We'll see how things go. Trying hard to be patient. Trying hard not to let the worry affect my work and family life. Wish you all nothing but the best.
hii
I had my one wisdom teeth taken away exactly  one month ago but still i have the numbness on my rightside of lower lip, chin and lower front tooth and gum.i exactly feel the same you had gone through after the operation. I am scared to death that this numbness, itchy, crawly feelings into my chin/lip and squeezy feelings into my front teeth is not going away ever. it would be a great help if you please response me and tell me how are you now.how long did it take to recover fully?
thank you
Hi everyone,

I finally feel comfortable posting here now, 5 1/2 weeks since getting my wisdom teeth removed. I had been reading this website throughout my recovery and it sometimes made me feel extremely uneasy when reading any negative stories. However, I do want to explain what happened to me and report that things are definitely on the mend and getting better!!! On February 21st I went in to have all 4 wisdom teeth removed...at the age of 30. I'm still extremely mad that I was never pushed to do it when I was a teen. Anyway, because one of my bottom ones hasn't erupted yet, and the other bottom one was infected (half under gum), my doctor removed the infected one first, only to decide to not take a chance with the other as he knew my nerve was extremely close to both teeth, thank god for that otherwise I probably would have been numb on both sides. To make a long story short, I was left with the very very dreaded numb bottom half lip, chin, teeth and gums. Everything else came back after a few hours, but I knew by that evening I was in trouble. The next day I started feeling the tingles and along with that, constant throbbing, sparks, spiders crawling where you can't scratch, teeth throbbing where they feel so tight you wanna die, burning lip, etc. etc. I had been in agony with pain from the nerve regeneration for days and days and it never let up...but I knew these feelings were good because that means the nerve wasn't severed and everything would eventually heal. At the month mark is where I started noticing the biggest turning point. My lip had been healing at a faster rate than the other areas but it now seems like everything is on it's way to getting back to normal. When I press my lips together, I feel the bottom part almost like before and one little area there can feel a tiny bit of temperature. My chin and teeth have yet to fully feel temperature yet but I was told that's the last feeling to come back. The throbbing has subsided and I'm no longer in pain thank god. The teeth are still tight but some have loosened up and I can feel the floss now between those teeth way better than weeks ago. Basically I think I probably have another month or two before I am 100% better but I am definitely with no question better than earlier this month. It seems like everyday you may not notice major  differences, but with each week there is significant improvement. This has most definitely been the worst experience I have ever dealt with (which I probably should be thankful for lol) and you couldn't pay me enough money to go and get that last tooth removed now lol. However, I do want others in this situation to know that things do get better and improve. I am very impatient and unfortunately this is a slow process, but try not to get too stressed out like I have been. My doctor told me that in 24 years of practice, this has happened to a number of his patients, as sometimes it's just not possible to remove the tooth without bumping the nerve. Good thing is that with all those patients, he was happy to report that not ONE of them had permanent numbness. Feelings always came back whether it took 2 months or 6 months. I will report back soon but I have a feeling things should be okay now :)
Hello, it must be very scary not knowing if the numbness will go away or not. I needed to hear from someone on this site if there was a positive outlook on my situation. I'm glad I found this forum for it was very helpful and assuring! I'm feeling so much better now with no numbness. I've been to the dentist a couple of times now to finish the work on my bottom crown.i was scared I must say when I received Novocain but its all good. When you hear a lot of good reports you feel relieved and that there's hope. Everyone should have a positive attitude. Good luck to you hope to hear some great progress.
well, im back..again..with word on my progress. now, im probably bout 80% back to normal. im healing, that's for sure but its a long process. I have only a small amount of a chapped feeling on my lower lip. the worst of the worse is over. im so happy to see that you all are getting better. I know its been rough and trying and certainly very annoying. there has been such a HUGE improvement with my issues since this crap started back in mid January. at first I thought I was doomed to be like this forever. especially after the second week and nothing seemed to change. however, after about the 4th week, the numbness slowly went away as did the teeth pushing thing. I have no more of the itching thing and the "thick" feeling in my lip is 80% gone. I can feel heat and cold and most importantly, pain. I  have never been so happy to be in pain. I think that in about another 2 to 4 weeks, i'll be back to normal. I could just slap my freaking dentist for lying to me and not informing me of any of this. and plus he had the nerve to say I would be like this forever and for me to be happy I didn't get my arms blown off in Iraq like his brother. what an *******. anyway this DOES go away, it really does. it just takes awhile. im never getting any dental work done again, im just not. I would rather truly have a toothache from hell than to go throw this again. it has taken its toll on me, mentally and physically. the first month, I lost about 8 pounds because it was hard for me to eat. im already skinny enough and I WANT to gain weight. I have no figure and no shape. today, im very happy with my progress. im now over the 110 pound mark and I feel well and I can eat without feeling like I have food dribbling down my chin. by this time next month I hope to weigh around 120 and have a 100% healed mouth. I want to thank you all for your postings and info and im very happy to see that most of you are doing better. I will check back in occasionally to let you all know how my progress is going. take care and have a nice day.
hi there..just got finished reading your post. I don't think you have anything to worry about with the feeling only numb thing. this is normal, it really is. nerves are a strange and funny thing because they are what makes us pretty much alive. this numb chin, teeth and lip thing is enough to drive anyone up the wall with craziness but it does , in many cases, get better, it really does.  ..i went through that part where I was only numb and I told my mom I didn't think I could live like this. but here it is about 11 weeks later and im 80% normal. damaged nerves are not like a cut or a broken bone. nerves take a while to heal. I would say that based on ur situation, you should be ok by the first week of june or earlier. please keep us informed on ur progress.  I will do the same. :)
So nice to hear you are doing better and I like to know that at 11 weeks you are almost fully healed. I had said the same thing to my mother how I don't think I can live like this with the numbness, but now that I'm healing a bit, I feel better mentally and physically. It has taken such a toll on me and I too never want to have any other dental work done again and yes a toothache is better than what we have been going through. If you are about 80% normal at 11 weeks and this Thursday is 6 weeks for me, then that means I'm 5 weeks behind you. Everyone is different of course, but it does shed some light on how long this process takes...nerves heal only 1mm a day. I can't wait until we are all 100% back to normal!!!!
Well, I guess you can welcome me to this "family" too. I got all 4 wisdom teeth out on March 29th (5 days ago) with 2 being impacted and 2 being taken out because of his "judgement". Well, now I have numbness in my bottom right lip, chin, etc. Thank god I found this page because everyone thinks im going crazy and I am getting my stitches out on Thursday and honestly, I was going to give the dentist a piece of my mind (like there is anything he can do now..).
The numb chin syndrome is a rare neurological condition which origins in the absence of a dental cause and is most often associated with malignancy 1–5. Patients develop orofacial paraesthesia typically localized to the chin and lower lip.
With respect, I don't think your 'diagnosis' is either correct or helpful for the people who have written about numbness due to dental treatment of one kind or another on this website,
Are you just trying to worry the life out of some people who have genuine dental related problems?  
LOL I don't even know wtf this jake is even talking about. what does he mean by "not having A DENTAL"??? A DENTAL WHAT...? what we're all going thru has been miserable. and its because of some dental procedure gone horribly and terribly wrong. and its true that if I ever get another toothache again, im just going to suffer with it and hope that some days are better than others. what this jake person doesn't understand is that this chin and lip numbing thing with the thick lip feeling and the teeth grinding together issue really is a hrooible thing to deal with month after month. its not like a scraped knee or a broken leg which may take only 4 weeks to heal. these are nerves..and nerves do take a while to heal..a long while. in a couple of days, It will be 11 weeks since this all happened. im doing so much better and its no where nearly as bad as before but I still have a little bit of healing to do. my progress is going great and it does get better every day and every week. I wish you all well and hope you all recover really soon.
I too was extremely confused with that Jake comment. Makes no sense whatsoever. So as I had mentioned before, I will be 6 weeks tomorrow and for some reason my teeth have gotten tight again in the last day with that pushed feeling. It was better a few days ago and now it's tight again, although I am not feeling the horrible throbbing I was feeling in my teeth the first couple weeks. That I think I can safely say is no longer an issue, thank god as it was horrible!!! When you were at 6 weeks Spunkerz, where was your progress at if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!
I think Jake has simply looked up what orofacial paresthesia is on Google or something like that and discovered it is a generic term for facial numbness.  It is true that facial numbness can be attributable to other things (he mentions malignancy) but my point is that the people, including myself,  who have written about this dreadful effect after DENTAL treatment have a specific DENTAL problem!! Jake, you need to explain yourself!!  For the record, I began to feel signs of improvement after a dental implant caused nerve damage at around 6 weeks. By 12 weeks, I was almost back to normal - no chin numbness, no pain, no sense of teeth squeezed together.  At 16 week, I now have a very slight sense of numbness inside my lower lip. I have also had another implant without bad effect, I offer this as encourgement to others that 'time is a great healer'.  Hang on in there! I will keep posting but, Jake, I think your opinion is not helpful!!!
Thank you so much LSCSinger for writing something positive. Nice to start my day with hope. Today is 6 weeks and now I know why my teeth have been so tight the last 36 hours. I regained some more feeling in them so I do know in my heart that all these horrific feelings are good. I'm so happy to read that you are pretty much back to normal at 12 weeks. Even though you had a dental implant and my nerve damage was caused by wisdom tooth extraction, damage to the nerve is most likely similar and your symptoms are exactly what I've been having, so I hope I can be like you and have the same recovery. Guess I'm halfway there. Doctors did say average is 3 months so there ya go!
I had all four impacted wizzy's out in November last year (approx 6 months ago) I have had parasthesia in the right hand lower quadrant since then which includes my chin, lip and gum. Some tingling, some itchy, some weird sensations...I am confident that It will return to normal one day, as I can already feel improvements and my toungue is completely back to normal...HOWEVER in the mean time I just wanted to let you ALL know, that over the past few months I have gotten so used to it I don't even notice it anymore. I know that's probably not what a lot of you want to hear, but please just be re-assured that although it is very traumatic and stressfull now, a few months down the track you will honestly feel so much more relaxed about it (that's if you haven't already recovered by then of course which you very well may have!! :) That's all I wanted to say, chin up :) xo
Hello again :)

I wanted to update with some more good news for people reading who are hoping that they too feel better soon. I have improved quite dramatically in the past few days since I last wrote. From my teeth feeling tight again last week, they have now relaxed almost entirely and have gained back a lot of feeling. My gums have also regained a lot of feeling too and when I do a big exhale (cheeks puffed out, ya know...), it feels almost normal now. In fact I didn't realize before how abnormal it had felt for the past 6 1/2 weeks until I now feel the major difference. My lip is literally probably a couple weeks away from being 100%, YAY, and the edges of my chin have really begun to now feel so much better too. My doctor said the numbness wears off that way so it will start as a silver dollar, then to a quarter, then to a dime and then eventually all gone. So don't worry if the middle of where you numbness is is still numb. Keep track of the edges!

Things are looking very positive and it really does seem like the doctors are right when they say the average time to heal from this is 3 months. I'm a few days past the halfway mark and it seems to be right on schedule.

Don't lose hope. Things do indeed get better with every passing week it seems, I promise :)
Hello everyone,

I am so grateful for all of you sharing your stories with everyone. It is so amazing to know that there is hope for me. My experience is exactly the same as all of you.

I had all 4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on Thursday March 28th and it has been 10 days since my surgery and I am numb on half my lip/chin but I do feel the itchy, crawly, burning feeling all the time. It is so uncomfortable and painful and also my bottom teeth feel like I just got my braces tightened (which I got off in 2009) but it constantly feels like that and that is why I got my wisdom teeth out because I didn't want to wreck my straight teeth that I paid for myself ($5500) now I feel like I wasted ($1660) on my wisdom teeth surgery but I know it is worth it. I have never experienced so much pain in my life, I am a baby when it comes to pain but I can tell you that I am pretty freaken strong, it has been so frustrating for me because my bf said that he was good to go after 2 days when he got his 4 teeth out. I feel like no one knew the pain I was going through but I am happy to see people do understand. Does anyone know what medication I can take for my nerve pain??? I take Advil liquid gels but I find it only helps my teeth pain. I am going back to work tomorrow after missing a whole week and it ***** because I am still in so much pain but I can't afford not too. I have learned so much from this and when everything is back to normal I am not going to take things for granted no matter how small....this has really opened my eyes and gave me a reality check that life can be worse and if your having a bad day well that day could be 10 times worse. Thanks again to everyone who is so supportive and I will update you all on my recovery when that is. :)
Thank you for sharing your story and yes, you are most definitely not alone. At 10 days out I made myself so sick from stress and anxiety that I developed a horrible flu and cough, so already you seem like you are better than I was at that time. Which by the way is extremely early in this healing process, so try and hang in there if you can. I know the type of pain you are in as I was just there a few weeks back, but as I had written in another post, things do get better. I'd say I'm 40-50% healed now at 6 1/2 weeks, with some areas (like my chin) taking longer than other parts. However, all the feelings of tickles, pins and needles, burning, throbbing etc. is VERY good. I saw a few doctors for opinions over the last month and each one assured me that if the nerve was severed or bruised beyond repair, we'd be feeling nothing at all, like when we first get novocaine. Obviously that is not the case in our situations, thank god :D and the nerve is trying to spark back up! Everyone I know, including my bf too, had their wisdom teeth out with either no problems whatsoever, or they had what I now would consider a minor complication of having a dry socket. Something I feel so silly worrying about. I am sure it hurts tremendously, but nothing even compared to what we have been enduring. Now, in terms of meds to help pain, unfortunately, for me at least, I couldn't find anything to take the pain away. Even my doctor prescribed some prescription Ibuprofen and it maybe just took a slight edge off. I read online that nerves like the one that was damaged in our jaw, don't respond to meds like this, or even to heavier stuff like Vicodin or Percocet. What really helped me feel better was just time. Now I still feel pressure and tingles of course, but it's not painful...just super duper annoying. You will get there too in a few weeks. Stay strong!!!
Thank you for responding to me and giving me some positive encouragement, with the pain I have I can't imagine having a flu!! You are very strong! I did have a lot of stress and anxiety ( I already have some anxiety already) but with all your success stories my stress is cut in half! I still am very sad because it hurts so much and it drives me literally insane but at least I know it will go away soon enough..3 months may seem like an eternity with this but if you think about it, it sure beats a lifetime! Although the itchy burning pain is extremely annoying it would be way worse if we couldn't feel it at all because it would most likely stay that way. At first I was worried I had a dry socket because it was so painful but my dr said that everything looked good and it was healing normally. The pain was just from the nerves I guess...I could handle tingles that aren't painful! its funny how something we would never want to have we wouldn't mind having because we know how worse it could be! This has really toughened me up!!! well I can say after it did :P (really I have been suffering and am not that tough) lol I guess I will just stick to my second bottle of Advil and my Tylenol 2s...I have never taken so many pills in a weeks time before! I'm turning into a pill popper!! I still have my sense of humor so that's a good thing lol, I am trying to distract myself.......thanks again for your kind words!!
I've had cases like this RARELY, and specially with wisdom teeth, since they are so close to the nerve. The usual recommendation is to exercise your jaw.
Hello again,

I just wanted to ask you StarBrite when did your pain (burning, itching, pins and needles) go away? after how many weeks? and do you mind me asking how old you are?

Thanks a bunch!
Hi!

I noticed at the month mark that the pain was starting to subside dramatically. Now at 6 1/2 weeks the pain is pretty much gone, just constant tingles, tightness and pressure, which of course results in a lot of annoyance. However, annoyance is better than pain. So please do know that the pain will subside. I totally thought the pain would last forever but no :) Now it's just feels like a lot of tickling. I am 31, but was 30 when I did the surgery... a few weeks shy of my birthday. Way way too old to have wisdom teeth removed and I am beating myself up for not doing it as a teen or in my early 20's, but my dentist never advised me or my mother! Not that this situation can't happen then too, but since the teeth roots grow longer the older you get, the chances become worse as the years go by. How old are you?

I hope you feel better soon! I know it's rough. The massive stress and anxiety I had (like someone died) wore me down and now I'm dealing with other health issues (albeit minor and can be reversed ie: acid reflux, taste disturbances, burning peeling lips, etc.) but nonetheless terrible. So try and keep calm so you don't develop anything else during your healing time. I am mentally and physically a lot better now, back to life, working, shopping, hanging with friends, laughing :) So you will get there too in a few weeks time. Keep us posted please and I will continue to do the same.
Hello!!

A whole month??? :( that is not the answer I was hoping for lol It was my first day back to work and it was horrible!! sooo painful and now it feels like my chin is pulsating, ouchhhh  

I am 25 and I read that if you are 25-35 the chances are higher to get paresthesia because like you said the roots are longer.

I am happy to hear you are doing a lot better and healing quick!!  I cannot wait until I am laughing and hanging with friends again.I am going to celebrate once this heals!!
Yup a month for me to notice a tiny breakthrough but every week gets better. Average healing time is 3-4 months I am told, but can go for 6 months or longer. So we are both still in the early stages unfortunately :(
aww :( this definitely s ucks!! ( they think that word is a swear or something lol) it is going to be soo hard to put up with this for a whole month with pain...it hurts so much to eat too like it feels like my nerves are going crazy and they are traumatized when I chew. Ahhh do you know if your surgeon hit a nerve or was your nerve just bruised from pulling out the tooth? because my oral surgeon said he didn't hit a nerve but that nerves are so sensitive that you can bruise them just from pulling out the tooth.I am hoping that I will heal faster than what we read you know...there is this girl at my work that had nerve damage from a cavity filling but her dentist hit the nerve when he was doing the filling and she was like that for 6 weeks...I'm praying I will get lucky and have a extra speedy recovery! I can only hope right.
Everyday I am doing so much better and you will too!!! My nerve is really working overtime now to heal and I promise you that you'll feel better in a couple of weeks time. I could barely smile or talk the first few weeks as I was in so much pain. Now it's totally fine in terms of that. Just tickling galore lol! I have noticed a difference in my chin the last couple days now and my lip gained back a ton more feeling in the last 24 hours, it's kinda crazy how this all works. It's almost like a game I am playing in my head like 'what feelings will come back today??' I'm trying to make it "fun"....

I don't think the doctor's really know what exactly happens to the nerve in these situations. In my case, my tooth was severely infected (half under gum, half out) and killing me! When he went to remove it, it popped out with no issues whatsoever. No tugging, struggling, pulling at it. On the x-ray the nerve was running right next to the tooth, so it obviously got bumped and bruised, throwing it completely out of whack! Every case is different so your co-worker could have had less of a problem which is why she regained full feeling back at 6 weeks, but for me at almost 7 weeks now I am soooooo much better than even just last week. So things are improving, not getting worse. Do you happen to know your situation with the nerve? Did the x-ray show it very close to your tooth? Because of how I feel now I really believe 3-4 months is the average for it to heal completely, but again, you are only a couple weeks out right? I can almost guarantee you that 2 more weeks and you won't be in much pain anymore. Trust me :)
I'm really happy for you and your healing process sounds really good...it is crazy how it works and how quick feeling can come back you know the next day, I cannot wait until some of mine comes back and I can play this game too haha I was in so much pain today though like I feel like I did something to aggravate the nerves or something because it was almost unbearable! but then again it always is...noone really understands until it happens to them. It is frustrating trying to explain the pain to people because they just say "that s ucks" and its like well YEAH but its way worse they what they probably imagine. Everytime someone says "I dont feel good" or "I hit my toe, it hurts" I'm like hey atleast it is not nerve damage lol I can say that now and you know anything else that happens to me from here on out wont be this bad where as before "hitting my toe" was painful lol Alright so yours was infected and close to the nerve, I am not even sure how close mine was to the nerve but it wasn't infected or hurting me so I couldnt tell ya but he did say that the procedure went good and that he actually had more of a hard time pulling out the tooth on the right side and the numbness is on my left side so he thought that was weird. Yes and my co-worker is 40 too so the chances are even higher and she recovered in 6 weeks so I really hope I will recover sooner! I know I will recover, I am a positive person but I just like knowing when exactly lol if only the world worked like that but yes its only been 2 weeks (this Thursday to be exact) I reaalllllly hope I am doing a lot better in another two weeks or sooner! :) wishful thinking? Do you mind me asking your name? My name is Sarah (if you couldn't already guess)
I don't know if I am getting my hopes up or not but when I tap on my lip with my finger it is a really tingly sensation like when your foot falls asleep and then starts tingling when it comes back...I hope I am not just imagining it because I want it to heal so bad but it must be a good sign! Is that what you felt when you were getting feeling back?
Hi Sarah,

I sent you a private message on here.
hi again everyone...im soooo happy to see that you all are doing better. it will be 12 weeks for me on april 17th and im doing ALOT better...better than ever. its to the point where I almost don't even notice anymore. just a teeny bit of tingling on the top part of my left lower lip and they kinda feel chapped, but that's it. and I agree it does take about 3 months to be at least 100% normal. ifeel like that in a couple of weeks, I will be back to normal. this really has been a trying and stressful time for me. I know that if I ever need a tooth pulled again, its not gonna happen. im just gonna suffer with a toothache if I ever get another one. 8 weeks ago I thought that I would be like that forever, but I started noticing improvement on the 4th week..then it just got better and better, and finally before u kno it, its like it never even happened. well, I want to thank you all for ur stories and hope u all continue to get better. i'll post updates again in a couple days.
oh I meant to tell you that at 6 weeks, I didn't have the teeth cramming together thing and the tickling thing seemed to diminish too. now, here I am close to 12 weeks and im about 90% healed. there is no more itchy feeling. there is no numbness at all, just a chapped and scratchy feeling. I feel heat, cold, wind, pain, ect....I don't feel depressed anymore. I FEEL normal now and its great. I almost forget about it now. I would say that at week 10, u will notice the HUGEST difference. that tends to be the week where the numbing goes away for good and the" healing tingling" starts, then day by day, that subsides each day and before you know it, its like you've forgotten. im at that point now. im very glad youre doing so much better. by the beginning of summer, you'll be doing a tremendous amount better too. :)
Thank you! It is 7 weeks for me today and things just keep getting better and better. However, I still am having trouble feeling temperature on my chin, although when I put an ice cube there now, I can no longer keep it for a long time because I start feeling the pain from the coldness, but can't really feel the coldness if that makes sense? The lip can only detect a little temperature but it still feels distant. The feeling in my lip though is almost all there. I'd say another 2 weeks and that part will be fully back, at least I hope. My teeth are still tight but nowhere near as tight as they were and they too are almost all back. My gums for sure are like 85% back. Things are on the mend so I can't really complain. My chin feels a lot better too but I'd feel more at ease when it could detect temperature. Spunkerz when did you notice your chin could feel hot and cold again? What week were you at?

BTW, I'm sooooo happy you are almost back to normal :) Such fabulous news! Keep updating please!!
Does Income protection pays for this kind of injures????
Hello SPUNKERZ, thank u so much for sharing ur progress with us. U gave so much hope and confidence. I have just started the third week since my wisdom teeth extraction. Have u been taking any medications/ vitamins like B12 or something? I'm looking for anything that might help speeding up the progress. Thank you
Hello!!! Another positive update. It's been 2 months now and boy have I improved!!! :D Again I am gonna stress for those reading this who are very scared like I was, things do get better, I promise you. I truly felt like I was completely doomed for life and although I am nowhere near 100% normal yet, I have not gone backwards in recovery, only forward and with that I expect to make a full recovery, although I really do feel I have another couple months of this.

So lets see, my lip is about 85% back, only thing I am waiting on is full sensitivity to it but it's getting there and is now able to feel slight temperature. My teeth no longer feel pushed together, but they still feel a little tight. However, they are becoming less frozen with each passing week and my gums are almost 100% back and they actually feel temperature so food in my mouth does not feel as weird anymore.

My chin is the slowest to improve, but the edges have loosened up and are not as numb as they were. I've said it before what my oral surgeon told me and I'll say it again incase you missed it in an older posting of mine. The chin numbness wears off around the edges first so the numbness begins as a silver dollar, then goes to a quarter, then a dime, and then soon it's all back. That is exactly what seems to be happening in my case so I assume that's how it always should work, although everyone can be different, but I think you all should keep track of the edges and not focus on the middle yet otherwise you may get more nervous.

I will keep updating on my progress as I know how much it means to read good stories when you need reassurance that everything will be fine. I feel so much better then I did a few weeks ago and I'm now even able to go for minutes at a time and not think about it as much anymore.

Hope everyone else going through this nightmare is doing better :)
Hi guys, hi StarBrite310. Thank u so much for the post. It really gives me hope which I desperately need these days. If u don't mind, I've a couple of questions. I have all the symptoms that u have ( or had :) ) but I also have pain in the area almost all the time even with pain medication. Have u experienced such a thing?
Also, have u been taking/doing any thing like taking  B12 that might help?

Thank u so much and yes pleas keep updating us with ur progress.
Hi there,

What week are you on since this happened to you? When you say pain, do you mean tightness and a bruised feeling because if so, that's what I had. Those feelings thankfully started to subside at 4 weeks and is now completely gone at 2 months. For me, pain medication did not help this type of nerve damage. It was the worst thing for those weeks not to be able to help the pain go away with any type of medication, OTC or prescription. Then I read somewhere online that no pain relievers really help with nerve damage because it's a separate area of the body and does not respond to meds. Whether that's really true with everyone, I do not know, but it certainly was true with me. I hope you can find relief some way though, but if not, try and hang tight. The pain will go away and will not last, that I can promise :)

Regarding B12, I took it sublingually for 3 weeks and it caused me other "minor" health issues as I believe I was taking too much a day (1000 mcg). I stopped taking it and it's been a month since my last pill and things improved without it, so I don't truly think it works. Although taking it may make your mind more at ease, but in general, your body will heal with or without it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Hi StarBrite310, thank u for the info. It has been two weeks and a half since I had the extraction. The pain is definitely feels like my teeth are tight, but also I feel pain in my gums since they are still swallowed. Have u considered going to a neuro doctor?? I really think a lot about this.
My surgeon prescribed antibiotics (for the second time) and he said that everything is going to be back to normal. He seemed not worried at all which I didn't like. I am almost done with the antibiotics but nothing has changed.
What really bothers me is the feeling that my chin is unbalanced and something is moving inside it all the time.

Thank u and keep in touch.
Your surgeon is not worried because in general these things heal as I'm seeing with myself :) I'm telling you, at your stage I was in a panic thinking I was doomed forever. I too wanted to see a neurologist and said if I am not better at the month mark I'd go. However at the month mark I was well enough to realize that things were on the mend. Now at 2 months, things are soooo much better than 4 weeks ago. I also don't know what a neurologist could even do at this point. If the nerve was damaged beyond repair then I'm not quite sure it could ever be normal again and I was told you shouldn't attempt any surgery to try and fix a nerve until at least 6 months out and that would only be worth it if you absolutely saw no improvement at all. We all know a nerve isn't severed though when we start to feel the tingles and regain feelings back, even minor ones at first. Remember, if the nerve was done forever, it would feel like we just came out of novocaine, nothing, dead! Obviously that's not the case with us :) You are still in the very very early stages but I can almost guarantee that another couple weeks you will be singing a different tune. I am still not out of the woods yet at all, but I have gotten so much more optimistic now because of how much better I feel with every passing week, and you will too! Please keep updating.
Yes Hawaa, what Starbrite is saying is ALL true. You should not go see a neurologist because if the nerve is trying to heal you may make things worse. Almost 4 weeks ago I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted and I got numbness on half my lip and chin and it is still numb, I had the tight feeling in my teeth too for the first 3 weeks. Things are much better for me now I dont have the tight feeling as much and I am not taking any pain medications anymore (I was taking 12-14 a day!) The pain is unbearable I know....but like Starbrite said if you have any feelings (burning, itching, pins and needles, that offbalanced feeling) those are definitely good signs of healing and no wonder your surgeon isnt worried, I know it is frustrating when your in such a state and the surgeon isnt concerned but he knows that you will get better! mine is the same way he doesnt say much but give it time and only time will heal the nerves. I am still numb at almost 4 weeks and Starbrite is too at 2 months but we are seeing improvements and that is all that matters. When you get surgery that is ONLY if you have had no improvements and still totally numb when you first leave the surgery. I am numb yes but it is not the same type of numbing you think it is more of an annoying thick raw feeling like its not my skin. You are only at 2 and a half weeks give it a couple more and you will feel a lot better! It will take a while to fully heal but it will happen! For all of us! :)
Quick question to those that fully healed from this ordeal. When did you start to feel sensitivity back on your lip and chin? And when I mean sensitivity, I'm talking tickles from a feather brushing across, or from a piece of hair, or even your finger rubbing against your lip.

Also when were you able to fully feel hot and cold?

My numbness is indeed wearing off but I don't truly feel those two senses yet.

Thanks!
Thank you all for sharing your stories.  I am at 2 weeks since my surgery - 1 impacted wisdom tooth removal and 1 molar removal with an implant post placement - and I too have the misery of joining this elite group.  
Your words have comforted me sooo much - thank you more than you can imagine - really, I was starting to get hysterical that this would never go away.  
I have the numb lip, chin, gum and pressure of what felt like vise grips on my front teeth - constant headache from it all.  I have to say it isn't overwhelming as others have it - it is bearable, but I certainly don't want this for the rest of my life!  
Thank you for giving me hope - one day at a time - I know I can get through it if it will eventually go away :)  I do have to say that I don't have the itchy, crawling feeling that others have described - is that a good sign or not?  Also, my numbness is not complete - I can feel touch, but it burns.
Hi all,,

It has been a while since ur last posts .. StarBright .. Sarah .. I am still checking for ur progress.

I finished the first month since my extraction. I can't really tell if there is an improvement or not but it feels different for sure.

My question, how can u tell if it's getting better? Do u start feeling things or is it because that crawling started to go away?

Thanx
Hello Hawaa, I am at exactly 5 weeks today since my surgery and I have noticed improvement- the biggest improvement is the pain is not nearly as bad it is more annoying and itchy but cannot scratch it. My chin and lip feel less numb but still does not feel like it should. When I poke my lip it feels extra tingly like it is trying to heal so bad. I don't have the squeezing feeling on my bottom teeth anymore either which was extremely painful! I remember that feeling when I had my braces tightened, it was horrible but only lasted a few days. It ***** when you have pain for a long period of time. I noticed that my pain was subsiding after 3 weeks about (squeezing feeling in teeth, burning in my chin, pins and needles) now at 5 weeks it feels itchy at times and thick but tingly too its kinda tough to describe because it is such a weird feeling and I've never had it before. Its hard to explain because it still feels numb but not completely numb and it hurts if I bite my lip (which is confusing because if its numb you dont feel pain) that is why I think it is healing and it is just more sensitive there. However, to answer your question Hawaa I really don't even know how you can tell I mean I think its a bit of both if you feel temperatures (which I can) I would think if the pain is getting less and less that is a good sign too because your in pain bcuz the nerves are injured and so if they are healing you are feeling less pain. Anyway, we are all healing at different speeds in different ways- different symptoms does not mean good or bad and as for you blessed2bme52 I dont think it is bad that you dont have the itchy crawly feeling but that is basically how I was feeling with my chin before the numbness wasnt complete but it was burning, now the burning is gone but the numbness still lingers. Our bodies are always recovering themselves so this will all be in the past soon enough. :D Note to self- No more high risk dental surgeries lol
I feel so grateful to have found this forum.  I have faith that we will all be better soon and stronger for having endured this pain.  Thanks for sharing this experience with me - it makes me feel so much better.  God bless you all :)
Yes its amazing that we can all share our stories and it gives us hope that we will recover fully :) All nerves need is time to heal...if you notice any changes after a month that is a good sign that you will most likely be healed within 3 months at the most. But I am just guessing lol I am just hopeful that it will be healed within that time...it could take up to 6 months too but you just never know- do not get discouraged if it past 6 months and its not fully healed because I know of someone that lost sensation in his tongue and all of sudden came back 6 months later and it was completely numb not sort of numb like us. So we are going to be just fine :)
Hi everyone!

So today is 10 weeks since my surgery and I'm still improving with every week that goes by :) In fact, I regained some more feelings even from just yesterday! I still have a little tightness in my teeth but absolutely no pain anymore. My lip as I have mentioned here before has regained the most feeling back and I am just waiting for the last 30% or so on it which is just the feelings of temperature and small sensations. However when I press my lips together it feels about 90% normal. I do feel a little temperature when it's very strong like an ice cube, but it's still distant. My chin's edges have loosened up and there is an area now on it where I can scratch and feel my nails.

I personally believe this will take the full 6 months to be 100% back to normal which means I have till August. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a little less only because things can seem like they are moving slowly, and then all of a sudden you wake up and more feeling has returned over night than in the past 5 days. It really goes in spurts. I have improved by at least half in 10 weeks so maybe i only have 10 more weeks to go? I dunno but I sure hope! I really don't think we can put a time frame on this as everyone heals at different rates. I do think we will all recover though. If at 4 weeks you really have noticed a considerable change like I did, then you should be fine from then on out :)
Hi All...it is such a comfort to check in here.  My family thinks I'm crazy and being a baby - I don't think anyone could understand this unless they have experienced it.  I really had no clue any of this could happen...of course there is the tiny print mentioning something about numbness that you sign off on....but it never mentioned the pain.  Luckily for me my pain has lessened already - I am 16 days post surgery and these last 3 days have been better.  I already feel like there are times I could (almost) pretend to be normal - I don't think I have it as severly as most of you - but my first week was agony and now things are much more bearable.  
My daughter's wedding is in July and I really hope to be normal by then...shower is next weekend...luckily I look ok and if I don't eat anything to difficult I should be able to pull it off without grossing anyone out :)
Well, hope you all have a lovely day and enjoy what you can...life goes on!
Small little update to put other's minds at ease on this slow and agonizing process...

10 weeks, 1 day = I can now feel liquid on my teeth that were numb, as well as the temperature of hot and cold on them :)
Yay starbrite!!  That is awesome! I love to hear everyone's progress.  I am doing ok - I rotate between excedrin, motrin and tylenol and that seems to hold the pain down.  My front 4 teeth on my effected side really drive me crazy at times, but I think my chin is a little better and I really am getting used to it all.  I hope and pray that we will all be much better soon.  Hang in there my friends!
I am almost 5 weeks now. I can tell that the numbness feels different now. Every time I smile, talk, chew or do anything I feel pain in the left bottom lip and chin area. It is like that the mussels inside are stretching. I don't know but the pain goes away as I stop the movement. Also, I feel burn at some other times.

Have anyone experienced such things. Are those are good signs?
Hi Hawaa, it will be 6 weeks for me on Thursday! so I am about a week ahead of you. My numbness also feels different now where it is not totally numb, but yes sometimes when I talk too much or take big bites it hurts me too (pressure feeling) I did have the burning for a while maybe 4 weeks or even longer but the pain is very minimal now. I believe those are good signs of heeling because you are experiencing different changes as the days go on. Sometimes I feel normal (besides my lip and chin feeling stiff/raw) but I feel normal for the most part and it almost doesnt feel numb unless I touch it then I can feel the tingling. I almost thought a couple days ago that I could feel my skin when I scratched abit but it felt very distant like I had to scratch really hard. My bf asked me yesterday if I was worried and I said no but deep down sometimes I do worry but you all make me feel so much better!! :)
It will be 11 weeks for me this Thursday. My numbness is really fading away now and when I scratch my chin I feel major tingles. However, as Sarah said above, it still feels distant to me too when I scratch it, but I definitely can feel my nails more than last week and the numbness is just totally different now, kinda hard to explain, but it's definitely worn off a lot. What's odd to me is that even with the numbness fading away, I can still stick my sharp tweezers deep into my skin and not feel an ounce of pain. Then when I try it on the good side of my chin, owwww! It's in a very weird way, kinda cool. Although I hope to feel pain again soon ;)
I'm at 3 weeks today since my surgery.  I have definitely grown use to the odd feeling and sometimes I think if this is how it is going to be for the rest of my life I can live with it - there are so many worse things and it really doesn't effect my life much.  That being said - I pray to God that this goes away completely!  I look forward to the day that I log on here and I read that starbrites is back to normal :)  and then sarahs and hawaas - then I will know without a doubt that mine will be normal again too...can't wait!  Hang in there my friends - I am praying for you :)
I am so happy to find a forum where there are people who can relate to what I am going through. Now I know that I am not alone. I had all four of my widsom teeth removed 7 weeks ago. I have prayed and asked God to (Please allow me to be normal again). The first several weeks were awful! After a couple weeks, I realized that I still had numbness in my chin and a burning sensation in my bottom lip and went in a panic mode. I went back to the dentist who explained to me that because my bottom tooth were impacted an close to the nerve that it may take more time to heal, so all I could do is wait it out. I have to admit that things are getting much better and within the past couple days I have had improvement. The right side of my lip is no longer burning and I can now feel when I touch my chin on both sides. There is still a feeling of tightness in my bottom teeth in the front but I can tell things are getting better. I just want to tell everyone to hang in there. There is hope! We will all get through this trauma. Have faith and be encouraged! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I have been so encouraged and uplifted.
Hi all, i just found this forum and I'm very glad I saw your words of encouragement. It's a month that I had my impacted wisdom tooth removed and I want to share my terrible experience with you. The first doctor failed to extract my lower right wisdom tooth and after 5 hours surgery, and me fainting two times because of pain, she said her hands are numb and she can't continue, so she stitched me up and sent to a surgeon. I want to sue this woman so bad because I went to her for a different reason and when I was about to leave she came to me near the lift and told me to extract my tooth before I go abroad ( I live in another country). So I said OK and went back inside and sat on the chair again. She sounded like it was so easy but she used me as a guinea pig. Anyway, it's a long story... I just want to say that the second surgeon managed to extract the tooth but I want to share my feelings and improvement with you here:

1-I could not open my mouth more than half an inch for 2 weeks, but now I can completely open my mouth and bite food.

2- my lip and cheek were never numb. Only my tongue has a terrible tingling, burning and numbness feeling that started to go on and off the past 4-5 days. The feeling is so bad that some times I can't really speak well and have to keep my tongue up all the time so it doesn't touch my gum. Last week I didn't have this feeling, but i feel it's getting worse. Where I work there is no good doctor and I am scared of going to bad doctors again. I'm just gonna email the second surgeon and ask him what to do. I fear a cyst or something is growing and causing this.

3- I got depression, and from the things I read and hear I am scared the feeling might not ever go away. None of you has gone through what I've been through. I can't sue that woman because I am in another country on a contract job and am living alone because my wife is not yet with me. However she always thinks I'm a baby and can't talk to her about my problem.

4-I have a terrible pain under my tongue and I can see it is a little swollen. I remember the first doctor lost control of her equipment and cut my tongue few times, but I don't know if she cut that area or elsewhere. It's a terrible feeling. Did anybody else have this pain under their tongue?

I just can't wait to go back to my home country and sue that b**ch. She manipulated me and took me  back in for her own profit. I never paid her after she failed however.
Hi Curtis, sounds like there is definitely signs of malpractice. I didn't have any pain or numbness in my tongue thank God! I can only imaging how frustrating it must be to have these issues in your tongue. I will be praying for you! I hope you get better soon!
I am sorry to see that 2 more have joined our little "community," but welcome :)  I have not had the tongue issue and it doesn't sound like it is the same problem, but I will certainly pray that you have relief soon - mouth pain of any kind is so difficult.  There is great comfort in connecting here with people that you would otherwise never know, but have a commonality that joins you.
I am nearing 4 weeks post surgery and although it is frustrating, I do believe there is improvement - though at times it feels worse than ever :(  I do have a strange sensation that feels better when I stretch the skin out under my lower lip - like making a monkey face!  Don't know if anyone else has this, but I have to be aware or I will do it alot and look really weird!  lol
Thank you guys. At least I have you people to talk to. I called my doctor, he said because of my first failed surgery my condition might last up to 6 months, or maybe a year. He also said that some people never get well, and hoped that I am not among them. His words weren't really what I wanted to hear. I am just praying I get well.
Well, just over 4 weeks since my surgery and the numbness and tingling continue.  On a positive note, it is much less painful than it was the first 2 weeks and eventhough I still can't bite with my front teeth, they don't feel as horrible as they originally did.  I am staying positive that it will continue to improve and I will be back to normal.  Peace to you all :)
Today is exactly 12 weeks, although I was gonna wait until this Tuesday when it's exactly 3 months in dates 2/21-5/21 to do an update...5 days makes a huge difference in this healing process. However, I decided I will give a little update now, and I will do another one then.

Guys, I am almost back to normal...almost :) It's definitely closer than further away now, perhaps another month or two to be 100% I think. My numbness is on the brink of completely disappearing, I have more hypersensitivity then numbness now. So basically when I scratch areas of my chin, it kinda hurts and I feel it in my lip and teeth. My teeth are still a bit tight (although they have loosened this afternoon after feeling a couple jolts in them) and I have regained feeling of temperature on them, as well as the feeling of liquid. My chin and lip now feel strong temperatures, and I can feel the wind on my chin now. I also feel the water splashing from my shower head against my chin, lip and teeth. That just came about earlier this week :) Oh and I also can feel pain as I bit an area of the inside of my lip and have been re-biting it a couple times since it's swollen....oww! Didn't hurt when I bit it that first month, but now I feel the pain, although it's still mild, but feeling some pain has been the greatest feeling ever haha! Who would think that we all want to feel pain?? And I must not forget to mention when I put my powder on my face with the powder puff, it feels so much more normal now when I go over that one side of my chin, which is another way I know the numbness is seriously wearing off.

So please do know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I feel certain I will make a full recovery, although of course nothing is completely for sure but I have only gotten better, not worse so I am highly optimistic. I would say I'm about 70-75% healed at 12 weeks. That's quite a difference from those horrific weeks ago when I was crying myself to sleep every night.

I will update again next week when it truly hits the 3 month mark. Hope everyone else is feeling better too and feel free to ask me any questions about this terrible ordeal we are all suffering from.
Look at you!! You have improved so much in just a weeks time!! Really awesome news!! 5 days really does make all the difference eh. So to update on me I am exactly 7 weeks today and I would say I am 60% healed, I think I am healing faster than you because I felt temperatures and pain a couple weeks back or even longer. My chin, lip and inside on my gums felt numb for a long time but then the numbness starts to fade its weird like if I don't touch those areas they don't feel numb but when I poke my chin or lip it feels tingly and stings almost like it is numb but the difference with StarBrite and I is that she couldn't feel pain for a while where I felt pain a couple weeks ago I kept biting my lip and it hurt really bad so I know its hard to understand my situation because you would think I'm almost healed aside from the tingling and tightness but it still does not feel completely normal and is very annoying living day after day with this. However we all heal at different speeds in which this is a perfect example. If I keep improving the way I am I could be fully healed before 3 months but I will just have to wait and see! Hang in there everyone! It will and does get better :)
My doctor said the numbness of the chin and the tongue come from different nerves. I never had numbness n my chin,lip or cheeks. Only on my tongue, and I feel better than 2 weeks ago, not only because I've got used to it, but also the tingling/burning sensation is less. Today is 1 month and 3 weeks after my failed surgery.
Hi everybody, thanks for making me feel much better. I just had my left under wisdom tooth extracted Saturday and I have the identical results you have. My left under lip and left chin are numb, my left bottom gum on the outside is numb and my left bottom teeth felt pressed against each other. I also went though moments of feeling uneasy when I read some negative posts, but as I read further, it became more hopeful. I'm especially happy to hear that Pstan12 is recovering, since I am over 50. I am still on antibiotics and there is still have some slight swelling on my left cheek. I have all sort of sensations in the numbed area; crawling, tingling, pressure, needles and worst of all itching. It drives me crazy. But I also think that sensation is a good sign. Reading your posts made me much less worried and gives strength to hang in there and hope it all turns out well. I found spunkerz to be the funniest of all. Starting out angry and negative and ending up to be the one to motivate us all out. Tnx. I did some research and found that the nervous system has 3 parts the Central Nervous System (brain), the Spinal Nervous system  and the Peripheral Nervous System. And only the latter regenerates nerves. So we just might be ok. But it takes a while. What I'm going to do is eat wholesome, get adequate rest and focus on the things I love in life and let the weeks role by. And I totally relate to spunkerz's sentiment about NEVER extracting a tooth again. Unless it's a matter of life and death. I don't understand how technology is so advanced but has not found an easier and effective way to extract teeth. My wisdom tooth was partially embedded and the root formed a ball so it was hell to get out. I literally thought my dentist would place his foot on my shoulder to yack it out. In the end he had to part the tooth. Traumatic!!! NEVER EVER again!!! I still have one more to pull and that is going to stay there! It isn't bothering anyone!!. Anyway, I'm feeling emotionally better and the tightness in my teeth is less since Sunday. I will keep you posted. I was wondering what happened to the person who started this post. I hope his symptoms went away as I hope we all recover soon.
I am devastated at having to join this community. I had my two lower impacted wisdom teeth extracted 4 days ago and my chin, lower half lip and gums/teeth are completely numb. I have tried to hide just how upset I am from my family but it's becoming unbearable. I can't tell you how happy I was to find this forum. I kissed my 2 year old son and realized that I could barely feel it and I just crushed me. My doctor, while informative and factual, lacks any compassion for me. In addition to this numbness, I have a dry socket which I'm currently getting treatment for. I'm incredibly traumatized and feel panicky all the time. I stay up crying in the middle of the night and just can't believe that I have to endure this process. I am 37 and never knew that this was a potential complication. But now that I have it, suddenly my doctor acts as if it was pretty much a for sure thing. It's so maddening. I know typical recoveries seem to take 6 months + but I don't know how I'm going to endure this for that long. Will every day be spent thinking about my face/mouth?!? I am so upset and sad and angry.
I am sorry to hear that your joining this group Optimistic and Prinna. It is probably one of worst experiences you'll ever endure. I was in a lot of pain for the first 3 weeks atleast, but I want you guys to know that the pain does go away!!! I was traumatized at first my mouth was numb and I was in severe pain, AND noone was very supportive except for you guys helping me through it. Noone understands what your going through when you say "I'm still numb" they are confused and like what you do mean your still numb and they think that I'm just imagining it or it will be gone in a few days. well 8 weeks tomorrow I still am numb. however, like I have said before I am not completely numb like I was in the beginning it slowly wears off but when I poke my chin and lip and it tingles and cold water makes it feel almost wet on the outside of my chin. I know it is healing but it is a verrry slow process and you both are in the very very early stages so it will take time but the pain will subside and you will feel less insane every day lol I know it is hard to deal with and there wont be a day that goes by that you wont think of it unfortunately because the feeling is so uncomfortable but once the pain subsides you think of it less and it is managable. I can do pretty much everything I could do before its just an annoying feeling that you obviously dont want. Hang in there guys! :)
Welcome to our new members  - sorry you are here :(  It is 5 weeks post surgery for me and I am enduring.  It feels a little less numb, but I have a new odd sensation - kind a cramp feeling in my lip, chin area - it is irritating, but I am hoping it is a positive sign.  My teeth, especially 3rd and 4th from center, feel overly large and unreal - frustrating.  Overall, it is better than it was - I was just hoping to heal quicker...lol.  I agree that nobody else really gets this - my husband and family don't even ask me anymore - I think they figure it is better - haha.  For those in the worst of it - have faith - it will become bearable - it is a slow process, but I will keep you all in my prayers.  Peace :)
So sorry you both have had to join our community. My heart always sinks when I see new people have come about here, as this is something that should not happen to anyone! I am a firm believer that this needs to be made more aware of and brought to media attention. Until one endures what we have gone through, no one understands how uncomfortable and horrible this situation is and some people even have made fun thinking i am being over the top...yeah right I am. Of course there are worse things in life, but in terms of oral surgeries gone bad, this is right up there!

Anyway, I want to tell you that I am at 3 months now and I'm doing well. I do still have bad days sometimes and then the next day is better and then the cycle repeats, but my numbness is practically gone now, I can feel strong temperature and pain again, and I just know in my heart that I am almost healed. You both are so early on and I will be honest and tell you that it was very rough with the first month being the WORST for me. I cried all day, barely slept, barely ate, felt my life was over, nothing could make me happy, etc. I was in soooo much pain with constant throbbing in my teeth especially, and talking and smiling hurt so much. However, at 4 weeks, things started to improve and then every week since then slowly but surely things have gotten better, although this process is agonizing in how long it takes. I would say my lip is 80% back, and my teeth and chin about 70% back. I am still uncomfortable and the area is still tight and my teeth still feel very funny, but things have improved and that's all I can ask for.

I think we will all be okay eventually, but do remember that everyone heals at different rates. I'm at 3 months and still not back to normal, but then some people at this time are. I have spoken to someone who didn't regain full feeling back for a year and half, but full feeling did indeed return. One other person had it take 9 months, and another 6 months. The scary thing is we just don't know when we will all be healed. Do I think I will recover 100%? Probably. Am I absolutely certain? No and that's what *****. But please try and stay as optimistic as possible in your situations. I will tell you that you won't feel the pain forever and things will subside and calm down enough where you won't be thinking about it every second of everyday. I have my life back now...I just have some discomfort but each day I notice improvement little by little. Hang in there guys :D
Hi .. It has been 7 weeks since my surgery. I thought the numbness was getting better but I have been feeling PAIN for the last three days at different places of the bottom right side of my face. Yes my face :( . Even my nose hearts. And the worst is in the place of the extracted wisdom teeth.  Has anyone experienced such thing?

A quick advice for the new followers: try to keep yourselves busy. This is the only thing (beside this group) that worked and still working with taking my mind elsewhere. Remember: it is a matter of time and nothing else.

Good luck to all of us.
@ Hawaa, pain is actually a good sign, meaning your nerves are coming back.

today is 9 weeks since my surgery. the burning sensation is coming back and feels so bad. for a week I was better, but the past 3-4 days it got worse, God help me.
Well, just over 6 weeks for me....I have mixed feelings on my progress.  I seemed to have stalled out a bit or possibly even worse - there was a point last week where I felt that I just couldn't stand it anymore and struggled to stay out of a panic attack.  I have been experiencing the pain that Hawaa mentioned - kind of random and sharp in my chin or extraction site.  At times I get distraught over this issue - but I know it will get better if I am patient - it is just taking soooo long and I worry that I will still be dealing with this for my daughter's wedding in July, for my vacation....and who knows, maybe Christmas :(  Okay, enough of the pity party - thanks for letting me vent - I really don't share these feelings with anyone.  Take care my friends.  Peace  xoxo
Hi all :)

First of all, I hope everyone is feeling better today. Yesterday marked 14 weeks for me, with today being exactly 3 months and 10 days. I just have to say that I am definitely in the home stretch now. I have regained back a ton of feeling in the last couple days. My lip is practically all back to normal now, maybe 95%? My teeth still feel funny but it's a different feeling now, one that is very hard to describe but they are ALMOST normal and can feel drinks, food, temperature. Just a little tightness in them that I can't wait to shake off. I started getting stong pulses in my jaw earlier this week that really hurt and then boom, lots of feeling came back, practically overnight while I slept. It's so strange haha. My chin is still hypersensitive but not as bad as last week and it doesn't hurt as much anymore when I wash my face or scratch my chin. I also can feel temperature on my chin now too which is so awesome.

So things are doing well and I am almost all there, and all of you will be too, I promise!!! Look at all the people who stopped writing here and they were doing badly at a time. Most don't write anymore when they get well, and it seems like most people do recover from this. I'm almost recovered at 3 and half months but I suspect another month or by July to be 100%...this process couldn't be slower sighhh. I will keep updating and please feel free to ask any questions. I just want to say to everyone to please not be scared. It's an absolutely horrible thing to go through, but everything will be okay in the end :) Have a good weekend!
Starbite, first of all I'm so happy for you. I have seen people who permanently suffer from nerve damage, some for more than 40 years. The burning sensation remained for them all this time, though some people say tingling and burning sensations are good signs.

When I first wrote here it was only a month after my surgery. A week after that I started to get better and I could say I was 90% ok for 4-5 days. But since last Sunday things changed and now I have total numbness on the right side of my tongue. Before that I heard some cracking sound in my jaw while eating, and right after that all my sense was gone. I'm devastated. Maybe I should have been more careful while eating. I feel like my mouth is full of chilli and i can't sleep.

Did you have tingling and burning sensation? Did you ever feel that the bottom of your tongue is being stretched? I can hardly speak or pronounce S and Sh.
So sorry you have had a setback. I think you should talk to your doctor because things should be getting better, not worse. I will tell you something though that I have indeed failed to mention on here before. Not only did I sustain nerve damage to my lip, chin and teeth, I also have nerve damage to my tongue. Something my OS refuses to believe is related. Right....so the burning in my tongue, the tingling in my tongue and the diminished taste is just NOT from having nerve damage but from something else?? Crazy! All my other doctors have confirmed the relation and said my OS is just trying to save his butt from a future lawsuit. But anyway, with regard to my tongue, I never really had any numbness which is why it's odd. I just have had the burning at the tip, which has subsided but is still there, as well as taste loss. Some days my taste is stronger, and then others like yesterday, it's gone again. Not completely but very diminished like food tastes bland or "far away". Not strong. I am praying everyday that it comes back fully and I am told it will. I feel like when the other stuff returns, so will my taste. Obviously we both have had lingual nerve damage as well, although as I said, my tongue was never numb, nor does it feel pulled. Just burning which is slighter now than when I was in my first couple of months.

In terms of what has happened to you, I'm really not sure about the cracking sound that happened and I suggest speaking with your doctors. However, I am very sure yours will heal as well since my tongue and taste have improved :) Good luck and keep us posted!!
Thanks for your reply. My doctor told me the lip and chin nerves are different from the tongue nerve and that's why I only have numbness in my tongue. My lip and chin nerve wasn't injured, and I'm so happy for that.

Today I'm a bit better only because I don't have the burning sensation much. The numbness is still there. I tried tickling my tongue with my finger but only my left side feels it.
Well, seven weeks today...the saga continues.  I have had more unusual random pain - hope that is a good sign.  It kind of feels like a stretching and at times sharp pain that doesn't last long - thank God!  I do think that my overal numbness is improving - my chin is better except for the part right below my lip - and my lip doesn't have the severe burning touch feel to it any longer - just a mild burn.  My teeth still feel huge, and like they are in the middle of my mouth - keep biting my tongue and lip :(  I would have to say that the teeth bother me more than the rest - hope they improve soon.  To all those healing out there - saying a prayer for you :)  xoxo
We all need prayers
8 weeks - my pain is different - I can't explain it - it is worse in a way and better all at the same time.  Possibly I am just going crazy!  I have more random feelings and at times even my upper lip feels numb - what is that about?  I definitely have more feeling in the corner of my mouth, but my teeth are still driving me crazy with the tightness and feeling that they are too big for my mouth.  I feel like this is all I can think about :(
Wondering how Hawaa is doing???  I need some good news!
me too, I get random attack. today I have the same burning sensation and numbness that I had 2 weeks ago. It is starting again. It's like it doesn't want to get healed. I am reaching 3 months soon. My tongue is still 90% numb. Also, when I open my mouth the numbness increases. it is like the nerve is engaged somewhere between the bones.
I hope and pray that these are good signs - the random better and then again worse feelings.  It seems to make no sense at all...I wish the darn thing would just heal already.  I am hoping that everyone else on here is healed and feeling better so they have not replied - and one day that will be us to curtiscraig!  Hang in there and thanks for being my connection in misery :)
I know many of you are still reading this and wondering how everyone has been doing, so I don't wanna leave anyone hanging. I know that I've been DYING to hear how spunkerz has been doing and I sent her a message on here too. No response :(

Well two days ago was 16 weeks for me, but the actual four months since surgery will be on the 21st.

I am doing better with every passing week. That's really all I can say. It's not 100% better yet, but I feel tiny little improvements every few days and then I ask myself each Sunday, am I better than last week and thankfully, even if it's only just a little bit, the answer is yes :) So improvements are coming along and while it's insanely slow, I still have every reason to believe it will heal fully. When that will be, I don't know. I think that even though I am not traumatized by what I'm still enduring now, fully healing where I will feel no residual effects (tingling etc) could be in the vicinity of 9 months to a year. That's my gut feeling these days.

However, hang in there everyone. It really does get better and better with time. Have a wonderful weekend and take it easy!
I have heard there is a team of surgeons in New Jersey who are specialized in treating long-term nerve damage from wisdom tooth removal. I read this on another message board. To those in the US, maybe you can check them out. I wouldn't hesitate if I were in there, cause I'm really having difficult time and it has affected my everyday life terribly. Even kissing my wife is difficult for me as the burning sensation doesn't allow me do anything. She keeps asking why I keep away from her,....but it's not her, it's me.
Nooo, let yourself heal naturally. The burning sensation goes away, I promise. My lip feels fine now, getting stronger with every passing day. It hasn't felt burning in a long while now. Things get easier. You will feel better to the point where it's not on your mind every second of everyday soon enough. Trust me :)
I can't deny I keep thinking of the last option. I'm 35 and can't live like this for the rest of my life...I think many people have come to this point. this thing in my mouth doesn't even let me speak, it's like cancer....when I see people who never got well I consider the last option...I'm weak. I am affecting my wife's life. I stay longer at work so that she doesn't see me like this all the time. By the end of the day the numbness consumes all my energy and when I reach home I just want to go to bed and sleep. I don't talk to people unless they ask me a question. I know my lingual nerve is damaged, I can feel it's never gonna heal. it's 3 months, no sign of improvement, it only got worse. On May 19th I wrote in here that I was better, but now I am at the worst stage post surgery. The numbness is almost 100%. It only bearable when I eat food when there are multiple senses in my mouth that my brain can't process all at once.  
I am so very sorry. From what you are explaining, it does sound like a different scenario than what myself and others on here have been through. It really should be getting better, not worse. With that, I do think in your situation from what you have described it may be in your best interest to seek out a neurologist and find out some options. If you really have felt absolutely no improvement in the last 3 months then you may have had a severed nerve. Is it as numb as the day you left surgery like you just had novocaine? Again, I am sorry :( I hope you feel better soon!
Wow your situation brought tears to my eyes :( I am so sorry that your not healing like the rest of us :(:( After 3 months and no improvment that is very very strange. I will be at 12 weeks this Thursday so close to 3 months and I have noticed major changes...I am not healed 100% by any means but there is hope. The only thing I could tell you is injuries like these could take a year to heal and I know someone personally that had nerve damage on his tongue and half was numb for 6 months then all of a sudden one day it came back like that! That could happen to you!! Is it painful like in the beginning? did you ever feel the pins and needles, burning? or was it just completely numb this whole time? I really hope you start to feel better soon, I know it must be so hard but please stay hopeful and dont get surgery just yet!
May I ask you, is your tongue pale or a tad white? Reason I ask is because when I was having burning of the tongue and major taste issues, my tongue, no matter how many times I brushed it, looked white. Now as I have regained my taste and no longer have much burning, it has mostly returned to it's normal healthy looking light pink. My physician said that sometimes when a part of the body has nerve damage, there can be some discoloration that will return to normal as it heals. Not saying yours is a weird color, I am just curious :)
9 weeks post surgery....It is better than last week, which was an especially bad week.  It seems like there is no rhyme or reason to this healing process and for me it is definitely not linear...I feel better....i feel worse :(  For those of you that are further along, did your healing happen like this?  I am confident that I will improve, because things keep changing - I continue to get random stretching feelings in my lower inside lip and pain throughout-- but not the severe pain of the past, more of the feeling of a bruise that is being pushed on.  My lip is still numb and tender, but no longer the severe burn - just a mild burn and tingles with touch.  

Curtiscraig - please hang in there - you could be just days from some type of improvement.  It sounds like your damage is more severe than most of us have, but that doesn't mean it is permanent....nerves grow slowly, but they do heal with time.  I am sorry you are suffering so....maybe it would help to talk to a professional about this....I understand that feeling of panic that it might never get better, but please keep believing....tell your wife what you are going through.  Praying for you :)  
To make your mind at ease, I too have had the ups and downs. I've come to track how it works, for me at least. On the days I was feeling really bad and still do sometimes, I notice a big improvement usually follows. So the tighter and tingler the area feels, the next few days improvements start happening. It is a very very strange healing process indeed! One that I hope none of us ever have to go through again in our lives. Some days I feel like nothing is healing, just feels "normal", unless I touch it of course then I feel the tingles, but then some days I feel it getting a cold blast or some tickles still or some sparks....all I can say, is that I've been told by every doctor that peripheral nerves do heal, but it just takes a long long time.
I'm just getting worse, that's all I can tell you. I have more problem speaking this week. last week I was better. The worst thing is not being able to pronounce letters like S and Sh, those that you need to say with the tip of your tongue. It takes a lot of energy to try to pronounce words perfectly, it's so bad that I pray the burning sensation lasts, but my speaking gets back to normal. It's so difficult to act like I'm normal when I'm at home with my wife. I need to get Oscar's for playing like this like nothing's happened. She is already depressed because of her weight gain, so I don't want to disturb her more. She is the only reason I'm living.

I also feel the tooth in front of the extracted wisdom tooth is loose so I don't chew food with that side anymore. I don't think my tongue is whiter than before. I just keep having flashbacks from my terrible failed surgery, specially in the morning when I wake up, but I go to the other room and try to calm myself down and not wake my wife up. Who would have thought I have to live the rest of my life like this...I am the only person who can help me, I just need to occupy myself with something or watch TV to think less. Last week I could focus better on my work or sleep better, but this week the burning sensation has not stopped for a second.  I read at the following blog that keeping yourself hydrated might help, so I'm gonna try:
http://lingualnerveinjury.blogspot.com/
I read one of the people has numbness on both sides of his tongue. That's even worse than mine.
Just to add that now I understand why my mother has bad temper and gets angry so easily. She had a tumor removed from her inner ear 30 years ago but she got permanent nerve damage after that on the left side of her face. Over the years her face deformed and her jaw bone on the left side doesn't look like the one on the right side. She can't move the left side of her lips or blink well. Now that I have this problem I understand what she must have gone through. Mine is just the tip of my tongue, hers is the whole face. In the past 2 weeks I quarreled with at least 3 people. My boss, the head of the laboratories and another person. Everybody thought that I would be fired, but apparently somebody told my boss that I had a failed surgery and I'm not feeling well. It is like people already noticed my change of mood even before I noticed it. I also feel when I drink alcohol my muscles relax and I feel just a little better. Not that I recommend this, but I am just saying that it might help you pass time a little easier. Obviously drinking for a long time has side effects and might cause liver failure. But my tongue doesn't feel that heavy after drinking....I also feel that my tongue is pressing my front teeth all the time....it's just so terrible. Why are humans so fragile?
Hey - I am hoping that this makes you feel a bit better - after having a really bad week last week I am sure I am improving!!  This morning I have less numbness on my inside lip - I can actually feel my tongue touching it!!  This is huge and overnight!!  I really do think that things do get worse before they are better, so if you are feeling worse now then hopefully next week will show improvement :)

Also, I know this is none of my business, but try and share with your wife what you are going through.  If she is already depressed and you are avoiding her, she will feel even worse.  Trust me - I've been married 30 years - she can handle your pain and you two can grow closer going through this together.  Hang in there - improvement could be right around the corner!  Peace :)
I think you are right, it does get worse before it is better. It is almost 5-6 days that I am feeling better. I can't say I am completely fine, but I am much better than 2 weeks ago. I didn't post this earlier because I wanted to be sure that I am really better. I also keep myself hydrated. I bring mineral water with me to work. I think it helps. I am at a stage that I don't think about my numbness for hours when I'm at work or home. I can tolerate it like this.

Thank you for talking to me. I am happy that I had you people to share my problem with. And I'll pray for everyone to get better.
So nice to read that you guys have been improving :) I'm so happy for you. I too have been getting better, still very slowly, but every couple weeks I feel significant positive changes. I can now scratch my chin to relieve the crawlies, thank god! I also can feel minor temperatures a little bit and not just strong ones like ice or very hot water, which now there is barely a delay and i feel them immediately, although I feel it on my gums and teeth too when I press ice to my chin. Such a weird feeling and only one that people with nerve damage like this would understand.

Of course I'm still counting the days until I'm 100% back to normal. The sad thing is, none of us have that official end date. I just have to be optimistic that it will come sooner rather than later...not always easy to stay positive as you all know.

Anyway, I will keep updating and I look forward to reading more about you guys feeling better!
I am so happy to hear that you are healing curtiscraig!!  It is certainly a long and painful process, but for anyone new coming in the future - I want to give you hope even if it feels like there is none - read curtiscraig's post and know that you are on the mend too :)

As for me - it is 10 and a half weeks since surgery....I still think about the discomfort a lot if I am not busy - it is soooo much less painful than before, but it still aches most of the time.  I went this past week to the dentist for a cleaning - I am having trouble doing a good job brushing in that area, even though I use an electric toothbrush.  The hygienst commented that she had to work harder than normal.  At one point I had such a zinging in my mouth I was sure that any healing that had occured was reversed and the nerve was totally shot, but thankfully that wasn't the case and things are moving along the same as before the cleaning.

Anyway, I still have a weird tightness in my lip, chin and teeth - bearable but anxious for it to be gone.  I also have the strange transfer of feeling to the inside and teeth when the outside is touched - almost as if it is all connected - which I guess it is, but it is just so weird.

Thanks to starbrite for returning and giving me hope - priceless :)  May God bless you for the light you have shone on my dark days :)  Peace
Aww you are so sweet. I am glad my words can help your dark days. It really has gotten better for me, not worse. Ohh so you too have the same feeling with the transfer to inside and teeth when the outside chin is touched huh...soooo very strange right?? I think you are correct that it's all connected. My dentist (not my oral surgeon) told me the one nerve connects to all so if something is coming back quicker, like for me I received most feeling in my lip first over my chin, that it will all catch up eventually. We aren't going to have a normal lip and not have normal feelings in our chin and vice/versa :) Of course those words certainly have helped me.

I truly believe we will all be 100% okay, eventually When is just the universal question...

I would say I am about 70% healed.

Hugs to everyone going through this horrendous healing process.
After seven days of confusion, sadness, frustration and internet exploration, I have found this wonderful chat community! I had the back tooth on my lower left side extracted last week - a crown with root canal that had abscessed. The tooth came out very easily, but the dentist injected five shots of deadener to ensure I was pain free. You guessed it - I now have numbness in my lower left jaw from the corner of my mouth to the middle of my chin. I went in to see him and he was sorry, but this had NEVER happened to any patient in his 40 years of practice ... Right! It sounds as though I might be a little more fortunate than many of you since I do not have speech or eating complications. My tongue is not numb and my teeth do not hurt - yet! I have some tingling and the itching sensation. I was encouraged to read the posts by so many of you that it may take weeks and months, but there may be  improvement. As many of you also expressed, this physical challenge is a life altering event! I wrote on a piece of paper this morning, "I choose to be happy." Can I maintain that attitude in the coming weeks/months?? I am recently retired after a fulfilling career, awesome husband of 45 years, great kids/grandkids, wonderful friends, and otherwise good health. With fervent prayer, my family and friends, AND the dialogue on this chat room, I am hoping for physical and mental healing. I look forward to being part of this community!
Has anyone tried to use magnets to draw blood into the numb area? I just tried it for about 30 mins. and it seems as though the tingling has increased now - is that good? What about heating pads - does heat stimulate healing? As you can tell, I just want to SOMETHING to promote a more rapid healing!
Hi everyone,
It is almost 3 months for me since my surgery. I waited till this point so I can give a clear judgment. Even though I was improving before, there was still this weird feeling. Now I know for sure that I am almost 100% back to normal. My dentist told me that nerves regenerate in a very slow pace (1 mm per month). I think this explaines why this is a long process. So, an advice to you guys who are still in the early weeks after oral procedures: do things to control the pain but don't target complete healing because this must take its time.

Good luck to all of us.
This is very encouraging! I need to hear this information to stay strong. Since I am unable to fully chew and enjoy my food with this numbness, I am hoping to lose some weight! Although I don't find much to laugh about in this situation, I jokingly told my husband that rather than stomach stapling surgery, I have chosen gum/lip surgery! I am about 15 lbs. overweight and recently was put on Metformin for type 2 diabetes. I am assuming the diabetes - although now controlled - may somewhat slow my healing progress? Any insight?
Hi funinsun!!  I was out of town for a bit, so I have not checked in - I am sorry that you have the need of this community, but I will give you as much support as I can :)  I am also "older" so I think that our healing will be slower than many of those on here.  I am glad that you don't have the tooth involvement - that seems to be the worst part of it for me.  

I am almost 12 weeks post surgery - there is improvement, but the numbness and weird feeling remains - luckily the pain is much better.  I did use heating pads the first week when the pain was unbearable and that seemed to help - I don't know about magnets....I suppose it couldn't hurt unless you have a pacemaker!

I also have had a great life and I don't want to whine too much, so I know if this never goes away, I can deal with it - I just hope it goes away!!
My daughter's wedding is in 2 weeks - I made sure I had my oral surgery far ahead of time so it wouldn't be a problem - hahaaha...

Anyway, welcome - I will be busy for the next 3 weeks but a I will try to check in when I can.  I will include you in my prayers for healing :)

Hawaa - I am soooo happy that you are almost 100% - thanks for checking in and giving us hope

Peace to my internet friends :)
Hello all,

I have the same lower left lip/chin/gums numbness as all of you. My surgery was on the 4th of June 2013, so it has been a little over 5 weeks now. This is the first time i have really written about it. For the first few weeks all I did was read on the internet, and honestly though it is probably the most common reaction I want to tell you not to do it. I became obsessed with these horrible thoughts that my condition will never get better, and to be truthful its hard not to. At three weeks I reached the height of my depression. I am 22 just graduated college and am about to start my first job. So I have had time off in between. All I would do is sit at home alone and think about it. Think about how perfect my life was before, and how this surgery has taken it all away. I have promised myself I will live my life like never before if I do fully recover.

There have been so many thoughts flying through my head. Mainly how lucky people really are and how they don't realize it. Why did this have to happen to me? I'm so young and have my whole life ahead of me. At the same time, I have thought how much worse off some people are. I am from Boston, and we recently had the Marathon bombings where so many people lost limbs and some died. God bless all of them. But know even if we do not heal, which hopefully we will, we must push on.

In the beginning of my recovery it felt like my lip was sticking out 4 feet in front of my face, I couldn't feel a sharp needle going in my chin at my follow up one week after. I have had another follow up since and I can say it would be a lie if I sat here and told you that I don't feel better from the beginning. Its hard to assign a % for me because the improvements are so gradual. But there has definitely been improvement. My lip has healed the fastest I would say. Which I am thankful for. But I can't tell if I'm getting used to it, or it is healing. If it is me trying to remain positive or it is getting better.

I will say that I feel this tingling/crawling/bubbling sensation more at night then during the day but they happen around the same points of the day. I contacted someone on yahoo answers and they said they felt the same hopelessness as me 3 weeks after but 3 months out are basically fully recovered! This gives me hope. I promise that when I do get better I will do everything I can to help people get through this. I will spend some time reaching out and telling people my positive (pending recovery) story. Thank you for listening to me. I look forward to keeping up with this thread.
I know how you're feeling. There are two nerves, one is the lingual nerve, and the other is alveolar inferior nerve. The second nerve is located below the lingual nerve and it is rarer to get damaged. In my case, only my lingual nerve is damaged badly. This causes numbness on the tongue only. If the other nerve is also damaged, the chin and the lower lip go numb too. I have not seen any one who complains about permanent inferior nerve damage. So I will promise you your lip and chin will get healed. But there are some cases that the lingual nerve never gets healed and that freaks me out.

Last week I was better, this week I have the burning sensation back again. Some times it is like the lower part of my tongue is cut by razor at multiple places and it feels heavy at the same time. Some times it is like my tongue is being pulled and I have pieces of glass in my mouth. But I don't mind the tingling and numbness as much as I worry about my speaking. I was not able to pronounce z, s and sh or those letters that you need to pronounce with the tip of your tongue, and that gave me severe depression. But I am much better than last month and I can see improvement. Also, as the other users mentioned, I have had this experience that the burning sensation gets worse, before it is better.
Severe depression is an understatement. I am better now, but am still depressed. No one really understands because you can't see anything. I don't expect them to understand either, all of my friends just sort of shrug it off. I tried to hide it from my parents that I was so mentally unstable but, one day they came home and I just broke down in front of them. It was 1 of 2 times I cried. I cried for 30 minutes straight. Its such a horrible position to put my parents in because there is really nothing they or anyone can do. It makes you feel powerless. Some days are better then others for me.
Also just a quick question has anyone been drinking at any point throughout their recovery. I drink once or twice a week with friends just having a good time. Do you think this will be a problem in my recovery?
It has been two weeks today that I had my abscessed lower left tooth extracted. TWO LONG AND SAD WEEKS! I have most of the issues faced by many of you - along with the numbness comes anxiety, depression, self conciousness, some anger, etc. Last week I chewed my lower lip till it was raw. This week I have figured out how to eat without hurting the numb lip. It is all so new and, at times, scarey!  My dentist told me yesterday that the tingling sensation and twinges of pain in the lip are a good sign that the nerve is healing. I am a very social person, but now find myself avoiding my friends and family. Today is my birthday and I have made numerous excuses to not go out and celebrate. It is no fun to eat, hoping my food stays in my mouth. Drinking wine from a straw is wierd ;-) This event is life altering. But when I am NOT on my own pity party, I now can more fully identify with many friends/family who have far more serious and life threatening health issues. How horrible it must be for them if they have non-reversable issues! I am hopeful for a full recovery in the months ahead (I need to believe that to cope!). Doesn't it all seem surreal on some days?
Thank you for replying. This is such a stressful event for those of us sharing this experience! It is helpful to "talk" with others who fully understand all the physical and emotional pain. Hope the wedding goes well and you can fully enjoy it!
hi...this is spunkerz...I was on here a couple months ago sharing my experience and progress and I wanted to say im healed!!! IM HEALED!!! it took a little over 4 months but it was worth the wait. I take nothing for granted anymore. my horrible nightmare started in feb and it ended the beginning of june. im never going to the dentist again...screw it, im just gonna deal with any future tooth pain I have cuz I cant live like that again. it was absolutely a depressing and terrifying experience. I couldn't eat well, sleep well, or talk well, and it almost made me suicidal. now things are happy, sunny, bright, and im enjoying summer like ive never had before! :) im so happy to see that many of u are getting better and wish you all the best of luck. please keep us informed on ur progress. take care everyone
It is so great when people come back and check in that they are healed!!  Spunkerz, I am soooo happy for you - I can imagine that you are looking at life differently now - not taking anything for granted and enjoying the small things.  You made it!!!  I look forward to that day :)

Stathi - my heart breaks for you - I have 2 daughters near your age and I would NEVER want them to have to go through this.  I am so sorry - please hang in there!  The good thing is that being young, you will probably heal faster than us oldsters.  I don't know if the drinking will slow your healing, but please be careful with this - drinking in excess can put you in danger.

Funinsun - happy belated birthday - my birthday was July 10th :)  Those first few weeks were the worst - it will get better around week 4 - to the point of having a somewhat normal life.  

I can actually go hours if I am busy now without focusing on the weird feeling - I think in the past week I have regained a tiny amount of feeling and my teeth no longer feel too big for my mouth.  Of course when I bite down I get a transfer of feeling to the outside of my lip/chin that feels bizarre, but hopefully it is a good sign.

Curtiscraig - I am sorry that you are suffering the burning again - mine also comes and goes - usually giving a little tiny bit of healing each time.  Hang in there - we are all in this together.  No one is alone - we have this connection - we are ALL going to get through this :)

Peace my friends!  xoxo
Thank you for updating! I am now so encouraged that my life can eventually return to normal. Thank you for posting your progress. This all can only be fully understood by those of us with this horrible situation. Yesterday a friend told me it's all OK since it really doesn't show on the outside. I am glad about that but it doesn't change my numbness and, now after two weeks, some pain.
I am grateful for this community! I will continue to pray for all of us!
hey friends...I came back to red up on everyone's progesss and im so so soo happy to see that you've all come a log way. this has been very trying for me and I really hope that this is the end of this...my issues actualy started with the toothache back in mid jan. then after I went for the procedure that's wen it all went down hill. the teeth feeling huge and like the are pushing the numbness, the itching and not being able to scratch it, the lips feeling heavy, ect ...I was a depressed mess....I looked normal outwardly but inside I was a wreck. now 4+ months later im back to normal and im just so happy. no more numbness or tugging or tingling. I cant wait for all of u to get well too. and im still never going to the dentist again lol
Just some questions about your recovery. How did you find you recovered? Did some areas recover faster than others? It seems my lip and area above my chin are getting some feeling back but my chin is slower, I don't feel as much tingling there maybe only the crawling feeling a couple of times a day. What about your gums?
Hi all. I to an going through the same situation. Here's my story. I had a baby in April and developed high blood pressure. When I came from the hospital I stated having a toothache. Went to dentist. Wisdom tooth was the problem. The day I had my tooth pulled was horrible(July 1st). Came home and went to sleep. Got up later that day, my pressure was sky high and my heart rate was fast. I became so nervous the ambulance had to come get me. I was released the same day. 4th of July, I was admitted again. This time for two days. I was given antibiotics and new blood pressure medicine. I was released on the 6th only to go back an hour later. Well found out I was having anxiety attacks due to my face. I'm on medication now as the worrying breaks me down. The good things are1) the medicine is helping while I heal 2) I found this forum 3) I think I'm making progress. The more I read the more confident I get. I want to thank you all. This is going to be my new place to visit. I will update as well. Blessings to all.

Tamesa25
Such good news for you. I am now at 4 wks and 4 days. I have much "movement"  - like shooting tingling lines "  - in my still numb lower left lip. There is no feeling in my chin yet. Did you have this type of activity? If yes, when did it begin?  
I am about where you are now. I think I now have some feeling in the corner of my right lip. I'm feeling better due to this site. I hope more people come on to share.
Viewing 1-200 comments: