Pain when biting down with new crown
I recently had a permanent crown put on one of my back molars. My tooth has been sensitive to certain things when the temporary was on there, but not the biting down part of it. When my dentitst was trying to fit my crown on and get the bite rite before she finally cemented it on, whenever she would put the crown on my tooth, I would get the pain, but then it would go away. She kept taking it off and on about 4 times. Now would all the work of just putting the permanent crown on, make my tooth sensitive when I am biting down on stuff? I am find with most things, except for the hard stuff, like chips or peanuts and it has only been three days, should I give it more time? Does my bite need to be adjusted? She did adjust the crown some before she finally cemented it down. Any advice?
call your dentist and explain your problem. she might want you to wait a few more days. if it doesnt improve it sounds like an adjustment could be necessary. did you have a root canal? if not you may want to avoid chewing hard things on that side for a while and let the nerve calm down. i have found my crowns that had nerves intact took several months to loose their slight sensitivity.
If your restorative dentist can not adjust the bite optimally, you may need to see an occlusionist or prosthodontist.
I did not have a root canal on that tooth. I know when I had the temporary on there, it took about 2 to 3 weeks for it to settle down. I had no problems chewing on stuff when I had the temporary on there, but now since they put the permanent one on there I do have problems chewing on that side. Would putting the permanent crown on there cause it to be sensitive to chewing for a while?