Dental Health Community
Pain when chewing on temporary crown
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pain when chewing on temporary crown

One week ago I had a temporary crown put on my upper left first molar.  This tooth had previously been filled with an old, large amalgam filling that broke off.  At first upon examination my dentist said he wasn't sure if it needed a root canal, but after drilling out the rest of the old filling he said I didn't need one, filled the hole with core build-up and prepped it for a temporary crown.

I've been avoiding chewing on the temp, but I noticed I feel some dull pain when I chew on it with slightly harder foods, like french bread crust.  The pain goes away immediately after I release the pressure.  Also it does not hurt if I eat very soft foods or if I bite down on the crown without food.  I haven't felt any hot/cold sensitivity or pain when I touch the tooth either.

I gave the tooth a rest for a few days, tried chewing harder food on it again - it still hurts, but less than before, and only if I chew on certain parts of the tooth at certain angles.

I'm scheduled to get the permanent crown in a week a half, and I don't know if I should be concerned about this slight pain I feel.  I wouldn't want to get the permanent fixed in place, still feel pain and then find out there was something wrong with the tooth underneath.  Does this sound like an occlusal problem, or something more serious? Should I wait longer and see if the pain will go away?