Dental Health Expert Forum
Post-extraction question

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Post-extraction question

Hi everyone! I had a root canal gone bad (long story!) so I had to have the next to last from the back of my mouth molar extracted (top). This was 10 days ago. Somehow I ended up getting a dry socket. The dentist packed it for several days and it is better now.

Now however, I have a mild gum infection in the same area as the extraction. The dentist started me on Peridex rinses 5 times a day. I have been on it 1 1/2 days.

So last night I noticed a small hard white bump (triangular shaped) above my front tooth. It's pretty high up...enough to make my nose uncomfortable. The bump does not hurt to be touched and the tooth below it does not hurt. This position is 5 teeth away from the extraction site on top. I have poked at it and it's not able to be popped, it looks like a tiny bone.

Here are my questions: Could the bump be caused by the infection that I already have? If not, what is this thing?

Thanks!!!
I would suggest going back to your dentist.

I was thinking it may be a bony spicule, which is a small part of the bone which may have been dislodged during the extraction and is beginning to be pushed out but since its not near the extraction socket, that makes it seem less likely.

I thought that too at first...but it's just too far away. I can't imagine that it's an abscess because the tooth is doing fine. The gum feels weird because of the bump, but other than that it's ok. My nose on that side also is a little sore.
And you just noticed it recently?  Is there a bump on the other side as well?  It could be a small tori or exostosis (extra bone) that you may not have noticed before.  If its on the other side of the mouth like a mirror image, it may have been there for awhile and just not noticed until your recent extraction.

I just noticed it a few days ago. It is only on the one side over the front tooth.
Ya, at this time, I'm not sure what it may be.  It would be best to get it checked out just in case.  It may not be related to the extraction and just coincidental that it showed up around the same time.
Got it checked out. DDS says it's probably some type of bone trauma.