Dental Health Community
Root Canal - Extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Root Canal - Extraction

I had a "Root Canal" on tooth number 15 (Upper Left 2nd molar) 1 1/2 years ago.
After a long "Search" to find the reason for my constant sinus infections over the last year, I found that I have a "Chronic apical periodontitis" on that tooth. I went to an Endodontist today who stated that I should have the root canal re-done. Quite frankly, I am tired of dealing with this problem & I would just like to have the tooth removed.

My question is-Do I have to worry about anything when having the "Root Canal" tooth removed -- I plan on having an Oral Surgeon remove it. I have read about apicoectomy, where the infection area is removed along with the root, Should this be done in addition to having the tooth removed? I just want the infection to go away. Is there any chance that the infection will get worse by removing the tooth? Any advise that you could provide would be very helpful.

Also, this site is GREAT! Thank you for providing this forum, it is really valuable and informative.

If the tooth is salvable, redo root canal  or apicoectomy is advised. However, , if you insist on extraction, there would be nothing to concern,post-op complication is generally minimal and wound heals uneventfully.
i had a root cana re-do, and it helped tremendously.  long story short:  a previous dentist did a half-a job, leaving infection to brew for two years until i had another dentist finally tell me why i was having chronic pain in my jaw and left ear, and sinus troubles.  

after the second surgery, i cannot say the symptoms magically disappeared, but have greatly improved.  i am 10 months out from the surgery, and would say i have healed 80%, with the occasional flareup..

if you are willing to stick it out for however long it takes your body to heal itself - i would recommend going for it.. i had an ENT tell me that it could take up to three years for a total recovery.  

if you want a quicker fix, have it extracted.. but make sure you are completely at peace with having a missing tooth - lucky for you, it is in the back and would most likey never even be noticed ;)

oh, forgot to mention - as with any surgery, there is always a risk of infection.. but i would bet that you would be fine afterwards.  look into probiotics, and load up.  also, if you are truly concerned, ask for an antibiotic prescription to begin taking a couple of days before the procedure, and after.  

then later, you can make sure you aren't fighting infection by going and having a blood panel done to check on the status of your white blood cells.