Dental Health Community
Root canal--this is urgent

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Root canal--this is urgent

After my root canal treatment on the first day the gum around the lower left molar started to swell. I'm curious if this is normal after the procedure? Also, how do I reduce the pain from the gum area. The gum area hurts a lot. I use an ice pack to reduce the pain from the gum. Should I keep using the ice pack to reduce the pain?
During the second appointment with the dentist the procedure started out as normal but it progressed to be worse. I actually cried during the procedure. I think the pain from the gum triggered the neurotransmitters in my brain to make me cry.. It suddenly became very sensitive so they had to end the procedure. Now the dentist set up an appointment with a root canal specialist (korean native speaker--my parents are involved and they know very little English) to finish the job so was this decision okay thing to do? What I meant is setting up an appointment to a root canal specialist from a previous dentist to finish the root canal procedure safe?  
I'm so sorry, honey.  We are in the same boat.  I had my 1st appt last Friday - the tissue around my root canal is so swollen that they couldn't finish it.  I'm on amoxillin + lodine + tylenol (all max dosage) for 4 days now, and it's been hurting like hell.  Before I went to see the dentist, it was only one tooth that's hurting.  Now my whole gum + jaw bone hurts.  My dentist asked me to double the dose of vicroprofen today, and wait for my 2nd appt tomorrow when they'll seal the fillings.  He said expect the pain to last at least until Friday, then we'll get a better idea whether root canal is successful or not.  Hang in there!  If you have active infection going on (like mine), the pain would be considered normal response.  However, you should not have anymore hot/cold sensitivity.  Otherwise, your endodontist needs to check to see if there's any missed canal.  In my case, I have delayed hot/cold sensitivity, so I don't know whether that's from a tiny nerve or another bad tooth nearby. Keep icing it and take ibuprofen at max strength (2400mg/day).  Hope you feel better!
Are you saying I should schedule an appointment to the previous dentist who already did the root canal treatment to my teeth or go to a root canal specialist?
Thank you.  I will keep icing around that area. I hope everything turns out better on your end too.
If you are still having lots of pain, I will page both of them.  My root canal was initiated by an endodontist.  My 2nd visit turned out to be an emergency visit - I developed what they call an interappointment flare-up which happens to 1.5-5.5% of patients.  My swelling was located under the jaw and neck area which caused difficulty to swallow.  Look up "Ludwig's Angina" - spreading infection/inflammation to this area can be life-threatening.  Lucky I got checked in time and was put on Steroid therapy immediately to reduce the swelling.  Please don't ignore the progressive swelling - anything that progresses in severity or spreads needs to be timely communicated to your care provider.  Take care!