Dental Health Community
Root canal Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Root canal Pain

I had a root canal about ten days ago on #8.  When I scratch my nose or upper lip it hurts.  I touched the gum in the front right above the tooth and that it where I found the pain.  i got a veneer on that tooth about a year and a half ago, and immediatey I had major pain in that tooth.  About six months ago it was throbbing and my dentist took an x-ray and said it was okay and that it had been traumatized (from what, I don't know), and that he said just to not bite on it, and that it would heal. I did what he said, but then I developed a fistula and he finally said that I need a root canal.  He recommended an edodontist in Beverly Hills. Even though I already had another endodontist, I went to the one that my dentist recommeded.  If the nerve was taken out, how can there be pain?  I took antibiotics, and the fistula is gone.  I don't see any swelling, no redness, just pain when I touch it.  The endodontist sent me immediately over to the dentist and I had the tooth in the back of the veneer filled.  No waiting period.  Does anyone know why there would be pain there, right on the gum above the tooth #8 from a root canal?  
Please Advise.  Thanks.
Post instrumentation or obturation pain or sensitivity after root canal treatment is common, pain or sensitivity tends to subsides in a week. OTC pain killer is helpful for managing post op pain.
Thanks for your response.  I had the root canal almost two weeks ago.  Wednesday, it will be two weeks.  I can put my finger on exactly where it hurts.  It's kije a pin-point...right there...in the front right above #8 on the gum. I would be sooo happy if it went away, but, it seems to be getting worse, if anything, not better.  How long until it feels normal?  
you might wanna get another opinion.....go back to your doctor. sometimes when they do root canals and other such things, the end of the root get damaged.  the root of our teeth are also connected to a bunch of nerve ending in our jaw. to me sound like nerve damage, your not saying that the tooth is hurting just the gums above. something could be going on there, sometime the root can be at an angle and they sometimes dont get all the nerve out, but hopefully they would have caught that on the xray