Dental Health Community
Root canal through a crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Root canal through a crown

Can a crown that was placed approx 12 years ago on a tooth that had a hairline crack in it become weakened so much that it prevents chewing?   I am halfway through having retreatment on a lower molar where the treatment was done through the top of the existing crown.   A temporary filling has been placed on top until the treatment is completed after one more visit.   But it's been almost a month and I can't chew on the tooth at all.   Everytime I try to chew, it feels like the tooth is so weak and it can't sustain the pressure of chewing.   I've been hearing a lot about "occlusal adjustment", but would that give the same sensation as I'm feeling?   Sometimes when I close my mouth it feels like the tooth above the affected one is touching it.   Is that ok?   Or could it be that the crown is not protecting the tooth any longer?   I just want to be able to chew again on that side!
Please forgive my ignorance but can an existing crown that is 12 years old and had root canal work done through the top of it, become weakened so it doesn't protect the tooth like it should even if the nerves have been destroyed?    Is it possible that this feeling would go away if a new crown was placed?   My endodontist has looked inside the tooth at my first visit and has assured me that it is not split down the middle and that there are no cracks in the roots either.   So I'm perplexed as to why I am getting the feeling of such weakness upon chewing.   I know this tooth did have a hairline crack somewhere in it from 12 years ago, hence the existing crown.   I'm assuming the endodontist has already destroyed the nerves in my first visit to him last month and yet it still feels like this.   Could a new crown stop this sensation of weakness that I have?