Rotting tooth or something else?
I'm 21 years old. I've had braces on for 8 years and had 11 cavities but I take pretty good care of my teeth. I got my braces on when i was 13 and I just got them off in September. I went to my dentist about a month ago and they cleaned my teeth and they took x-rays and they said that my teeth had healthy roots and that was it. They prescribed me a special dental mouth wash for my gums. Well just recently I noticed a discomfort on my back tooth ( I have my wisdom teeth out) well I noticed my gums are swollen just in that area, it's very sensitive, and sometimes when I floss there I smell kind of a foul odor. I'm really upset about this. I'm not sure if a cavity and a rotting tooth means the same thing? but I think that if I had one they wold tell me? I have insurance so I can get this kind of work done. I dunno I am really paranoid with my teeth, I brush them twice a day, (floss once and awhile) and I use mouth wash everyday... At least 5 times a day. I am just more concerned about bad breath and losing that tooth. Is this fixable and should I call my dentist asap? And maybe I should skip out on wearing my retainer for a couple days.
You should floss more and you should see your dentist asap as you dont want an absess to form.
Eight years is an unusually long time to have braces, so taking very good care of your teeth while the braces were on is imperative.  A foul odor usually means there is decay but it can also be caused by plaque or food caught between the gum and tooth causing the swelling...and this needs to be addressed.  A cavity and a rotting tooth ARE the same thing.You need to stop using mouthwash so much...using it this often can create problems instead of helping. Floss every night, carefully but thoroughly.  Keep your retainer very clean as well as your teeth.  Use a soft toothbrush and brush gently but thoroughly so you don't injure the gums.  I would see your dentist to determine exactly what is going on.
Thanku for givind thi usefull information.
Sorry it took so long for me to post back. Thank you. Yeah I realized it was just my swollen gums. I used to precipitation mouth wash that my dentist recommended me. The swelling went down and the odor went away and I have def been flossing every night now. My dentist is going to be happy the next time I see him lol. Yeah I am not really sure why I had braces on for that long period of time. I was stubborn when I was younger and just didn't wear my elastics like I was suppose to and so that's why it took a longer process for my teeth to move.
Prescription*
I'm happy things are better for you!!!
cosmetic surgery is another option you can also try.