Dental Health Community
Shooting pain in the gum area of after a root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

After a week of pain in my molar, the dentist decided I probably needed a root canal, even though there was no evidence of infection and the cold & tapping tests were negative. After the root canal and the filling, I was in excruitating pain and could not touch my teeth in that area. Dr. took out the fillng & gave me a low dose of steroids for a 6 day treatment. The pain on the teethe subsided, but I was stil getting some shooting pain in the gum area where the root canal was, bearable. Then she filled the tooth again and since I have been having shooting pain in that area when I move my lips,chew, swallow,smile, talk. Now I am on antibiotics for a possible sinus infection.

Any idea what this could be I am so discourged.

This discussion is related to nerve pain in gums after root canal.
Your descriptions suggest you might have non-odontogenous toothache.seeing an orofacial pain specialist is advised.