Dental Health Expert Forum
Shrinking Lower Jaw/Mandible

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Shrinking Lower Jaw/Mandible
My lower jaw/mandible, has been shrinking for the past few years.  I am turning 60 soon, female.
How should I consider this as a problem?  The lower, front teeth are increasinly crowded together.
I know that I have one lower molar that is cracked and broken to the gum line,
but what is left of the tooth is a stable and there is no pain. Thankyou.
What do you mean by shrinking?  As in the bone around the teeth is shrinking away and the teeth are getting looser?  

You should get a dental checkup and find out what's causing the bone loss and to remove the broken tooth which could be a potential abscess site.  The continued bone loss is worrisome and can accelerate and be more difficult to keep under control the longer its neglected.
I think that my entire lower jaw is shrinking - the front lower teeth are more crowded together. The teeth don't seem especially loose though.  Thankyou.