Dental Health Expert Forum
Shrinking Lower Jaw/Mandible

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Shrinking Lower Jaw/Mandible

My lower jaw/mandible, has been shrinking for the past few years.  I am turning 60 soon, female.
How should I consider this as a problem?  The lower, front teeth are increasinly crowded together.
I know that I have one lower molar that is cracked and broken to the gum line,
but what is left of the tooth is a stable and there is no pain. Thankyou.
Tags: broken tooth, shrinking mandible
What do you mean by shrinking?  As in the bone around the teeth is shrinking away and the teeth are getting looser?  

You should get a dental checkup and find out what's causing the bone loss and to remove the broken tooth which could be a potential abscess site.  The continued bone loss is worrisome and can accelerate and be more difficult to keep under control the longer its neglected.
I think that my entire lower jaw is shrinking - the front lower teeth are more crowded together. The teeth don't seem especially loose though.  Thankyou.