Dental Health Expert Forum
Skin inside the mouth is peeling off

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Skin inside the mouth is peeling off

I've found that the skin inside my mouth is starting to peel off, the area affected starts from the inner-cheek of my mouth to the inner lips. I dont experience any pain or bleeding at all but it just really bother me to feel loose skin inside my mouth. It usually occurs either in the morning or at night right after i brush my teeth. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with the toothpaste i'm using or the fact that i like to chew gum alot. I dont smoke or drink and my diet is very healthy. This has been going on for about 2 weeks now and i'm just very anxious to know the cause of this. Any answer would be helpfull, thanks in advance
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like the mucosa is sloughing for some reason. This can happen when the tissue becomes excessively dry or something is irritating the tissue. It doesn't sound serious but a consult with an oral surgeon would be a good idea.
I sometimes get that, I am going to the dentist in a couple hours, to get a filling I think too, I will ask my dentist about it! and post back this afternoon
Having myself had gingivitus last february on my birthday! it might be sideaffects of that, or do u use alot of toothpaste?
I just been to the dentist and I told him about the skin peeling off on both sides of my mouth and abit on the front of the bottom gum, he said its nothing, he looked, prodded, poked, stuck, looked around
Thanks alot for your thoughts guys, I really appreciate it.
As DDS-JB said, my best guess to the cause would be dryness in the mouth, I get it sometimes, we may sleep with our moths open all night for all we know
I found on another site about the peeling skin thing, apparently alot of people have it, some say they wake up in mornings and can peel huge waves of skin from insides of their mouth even though they have good hygiene, but to make sure I will ask my dentist again on May 2nd
This happens to me after I brush my teeth.  I haven't found a toothpaste yet that won't cause my mouth and lips to bleed.  If any toothpaste drips onto my cheek or chin, it gets really red and burns, and stays that way for awhile.  I'm assuming it's the Sodium Laurel Sulfate or whatever that's in it.  

But what do you do?  Not brush your teeth?   Or use something that doesn't have flouride in it and risk tooth decay?  I'd be interested in a line of toothpastes that doesn't have SLS in it.
Tom of Maine has a good line on non SLS Toothpastes. I use them a lot because I suffer from oral lichen planus and they are very soothing.
Check out their website and you can order online.
A related discussion, white skin peeling off in the mouth was started.