Dental Health Expert Forum
Swollen right lower back gum

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Swollen right lower back gum

My right lower back gum, behind my wisdom tooth has been swollen for about 4 days now. It started bleeding on the 4th day. I have been gargling with warm salt water and mouthwash, but it doesn't seem to be helping. The pharmacist prescribed Cotrimoxazole DS tablets, but it has not helped either. It pains a lot! I have not been able to eat any food because it is extremely painful when i swallow.

Can you please tell me how i can remedy this?

Thanks!
Do you still have your wisdom teeth?  You may need to get them removed if they're still there.  It sounds like you have what we call pericornitis which is an infection of the gums around your wisdom tooth.  A cleaning may remedy the situation temporarily but you may be prone to getting another infection in the future.  

Are red swollen gums linked to autoimmune disease? I herd autoimmune diseases can cause tissue damage.
I have RA and other autoimmune disease and I want to know if I should continue with my inmunosupresores or stop them and take an antibiotic for my gums
I would consult with your physician in regards to your RA and other diseases.  I personally feel that if you stop your immunosupressors, then you may be more likely to have other health issues and with the increase activity of your disease, may actually cause the gums to swell up more possibly.  You may want to scale down the dosage possibly but that's for your physician to decide with you.  If you feel your gums are swollen, you should go get a dental checkup and see whats the cause so you can address it.
I went to the dentist today and he did do a cleaning. He said it was calculus, and that i have periodontal disease :(

Thanks for your help.