Dental Health Expert Forum
TMJ & Wisdom Teeth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

TMJ & Wisdom Teeth

hello doctor

yesterday i went for a dental checkup and got a x-ray from my jaw and i realized that i have TMJ. its not that bad. Its on my right side and i dont experience any pain or discomfort. Its just sometimes when i yawn or eat a sandwich i hear this poppin sound and i feel like my jaw gets locked but its only like for a second or so. So the doctor told me i shouldn't be worried because some people have much more serious problems like headaches and etc. The problem is i have to take out my wisdom teeth and the doctor told me that my TMJ symptoms might get worse because i have to open my mouth to the max and it might cause problems with my TMJ. I wanted to know how true that is and if there is any other options for me?

Dear Patient
Yes, if you do have TMJ dysfunction extraction of the wisdom teeth could exacerbate the problem. Let the oral surgeon know, sometimes they will use a prop which will allow you to bite on it and at the same time not have you stretch to far open.
Secondly the x-ray you had done probably was a Panorex x-ray which I would not consider as a proper x-ray for diagnosing TMJ dysfunction. In order for a proper diagnosis of your TMJ condition I would recommend seeing a TMJ expert.
thank u doctor..i will do that for sure..I seem to be okay with my TMJ. Its not causing problems for now like no pain or anything so i dont want to make it worse because of my wisdom teeth extraction.
Your right my dentist took a Panorex x-ray. Whats the difference between Panorex and other x-rays that a TMJ specialist does?
Panorex films have a lot of distortions and superimposition of other areas. Since it goes around your head it basically captures everything in line of that x-ray beam. TMJ x-rays are site specific to that area. There is again difference in TMJ x-rays. The best for TMJ diagnosis are called ICAT.